Winter survival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter survival

It is pouring rain here and will continue for all weeks....a good story is always something to read in those dark days of bad weather. I love really good survival stories, this is in Alaska the dead of winter...homestead his place burns down and most of his equipment. The only way out...by air and communication went in the fire. True story....https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/4d47...o75HmLoSEnmTkg
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

82205156_718879155306121_3176280340054409216_n.jpgIt is also snowing on the summit....what we do for fun.....here.

Comment

Thanks for the link. The guy is most fortunate to still have all his fingers and toes.
      Sad that he lost his dog to the fire. That could crush your spirit but good.
      Not the first wood stove roof fire I've heard of.
      Gotta be so careful, I was 60 miles from the nearest road.

We are expecting arctic cold over the next week that hasn't been felt here in decades.
      At least 30 below, maybe 40 below nights. Good for an extra quilt on the bed!
      Probably 1+ ft snow on the roof and that's insulation, these days.

The wind changed to the north at noon today and there's fresh snow in it.
      My house windows are suddenly 2/3 fogged up which will be ice by tomorrow morning.
      I shopped on Friday so house is loaded with food & drink & fuel.

Might not need to stick my nose out for a week.
      No shortage of half-done carvings to pick from!
      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
        It is pouring rain here and will continue for all weeks....a good story is always something to read in those dark days of bad weather. I love really good survival stories, this is in Alaska the dead of winter...homestead his place burns down and most of his equipment. The only way out...by air and communication went in the fire. True story....https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/4d47...o75HmLoSEnmTkg
        WOW, after some time in AK. this is so believable and that man .. Thanks for that link Dileon..
        Chuck
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
          Thanks for the link. The guy is most fortunate to still have all his fingers and toes.
          Sad that he lost his dog to the fire. That could crush your spirit but good.
          Not the first wood stove roof fire I've heard of.
          Gotta be so careful, I was 60 miles from the nearest road.

We are expecting arctic cold over the next week that hasn't been felt here in decades.
          At least 30 below, maybe 40 below nights. Good for an extra quilt on the bed!
          Probably 1+ ft snow on the roof and that's insulation, these days.

The wind changed to the north at noon today and there's fresh snow in it.
          My house windows are suddenly 2/3 fogged up which will be ice by tomorrow morning.
          I shopped on Friday so house is loaded with food & drink & fuel.

Might not need to stick my nose out for a week.
          No shortage of half-done carvings to pick from!
          Taking the wife and golf clubs, leaving Tuesday for two months in Baton Rouge forecast to be 80* when we arrive.

Comment

Still pouring...NOAA emergency radio blasting off all night with flash floods and sliding mountains sides.

According to the National Weather Service, an automated rain gage at Saddle Quarry recorded 17.41 inches of rain in the 24-hour period that ended up 9 p.m. Saturday. It was a very heavy pour all night long since then. People in some areas reporting the rain is as bad as Hurricane Lane ...will see if we hit the 51 inches??? It does not look like a good day to go grocery shopping unless you take your boat. Drainage here is good so far...since I move the wood pile.....which caused a flood in my shop ...during a hard rain few years back.

Comment

Working...
            X