Elephant in the room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant in the room

Hawaii is now at the state of emergency, the stores are getting cleaned out due to the coronavirus. We were told two weeks ago, get prepared. We have no reported virus at this time, but...we are getting tourists here that were infected. found out later when returning to their own country. Everyone here is not saying much but concern runs deep. My sister who works in the field of infectious disease is screaming time to self-quarantine and whatever you do ...Do not travel. I did work administrative hospital safety so I know this virus is not a joke nor the flu as some say...., watching it get worst each day. Needless to say, all this action and reaction has so far prevented me to go into the shop and work on my next carvings. My plan is to lock down and carve very soon not a very easy task to do but used to the drill due to our hurricanes. The way I see it carving is a darn great distraction from all the chaos that might be coming. How is it in your parts of country??? are you concern? Are you preparing? I worry more about my family then I do myself. Hopeful to get into the shop within a few days.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Hi Di , I'm concerned but I stay at Home a lot and still go into my Shop . My Shop has become part of my daily routine and that keeps my Mind on other things . My hope is that you Weather this Problem as you have done so many other times . Stay Well Girl . Merle

Comment

I don't see anything happening in Louisiana...but when it comes, it'll probably be through the ports of Baton Rouge (the port itself is a stone's throw from my house) and New Orleans...ships' crews in B.R. and cruise ships in N.O., primarily, I would think, plus the international airport in N.O.
      Arthur

Comment

Being a little cautious and trying to make good decisions.

We’re in our last week in Baton Rouge decide to skip the tango lessons we’ve been taking and playing golf instead of going to indoor events. Think when we get home will avoid some events till we see how this shakes out. But no one I know has been ill so we’ll see.

Comment

At the moment we have a few ( less than 50) reported cases up here in Canada, but most are in the highly populated urban areas, on the west coast and Toronto. Nothing east of Quebec (yet) so it looks as though for the time being we're safe here on the east coast. We were doing our weekly grocery shopping today and I didn't notice any shortages as they are reporting on the news reports and no one seemed to being panic buying. I guess that's one advantage of living way out in the boon-docks 150 miles to the nearest airport and major seaport....... even germs are reluctant to come way out here...
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

tonights news reported that ebay is banning its sellers from selling cleaning supplies, disinfectant, and face masks, because so many of them are price gouging, and ebay will not tolerate being a party to that.
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

earlier i had heard a national news reporter mention to stock up on prescription medications because 80 % of our pills come from china, which is now shut down. also he mentioned to stock up on food. on a whim i checked out the military grade mre meals , 12 pouches to a case, most of amazon had been sold out, those that are still selling marked them up from $80 to $200 and even $300 a case. those prices via amazon also ebay
              Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

On the Oregon coast, we are prepared for earthquakes and tsunamis so we are stocked and ready for anything. However, we now avoid groups of people when going to the grocery store.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

In 1919 the World experienced the Spanish Flu pandemic. And back then they knew little of disease, how it was spread, where it even originated? Now in the 21st Century we have 10-times more technology but as the saying goes, "@#$% happens in life. The best any of us can do, especially as most of us are in the "at risk" age span is to just make common sense decisions and take precautions as deemed necessary. The sad thing is that this doesn't include purchasing a year's worth of bottled water or a lifetime supply of toilet paper. Even buying a case of hand sanitizer or enough face masks to paper the bathroom walls is ridiculous. It's just plain selfish, greedy, self-serving, and ignorant. My wife and I accept the fact that there is a possibility that we will become infected with the virus just as we accept that flu shots are usually only 50% effective. We normally keep two weeks worth of supplies for hurricanes so preparing for a quarantine for us is not anything unusual. The CDC and WHO all maintain that the best way to prevent infection is to stay away from large crowds and continually wash your hands. We attempt to follow those guidelines as close as possible, plus we lived in Japan for three years and know that during the cold and flu season many people add the extra protection of wearing a face mask. The CDC and WHO only recommend wearing one when your're sick or for health care workers that are exposed in the course of their work. We're following the Asian lead because even if it's only 50% effective, as they claim, a little protection is better than none, especially when going out and about. Besides, 4.5 billion people can't all be wrong. Personally, I love the extra time afforded by keeping trips to a minimum. It gives me another hour or two a day to whittle, paint, watch movies, and read. I sincerely hope that neither my wife or I get the virus but if we do, what will happen will happen. There is no sense having an anxiety attack over it. Or as the Japanese say, "Shikata ga nai!" It can't be helped. Nothing can be done about it.

Comment

It is a time to be aware and take precautions, especially for us on the older side of the calander. However this is not the first nore will it be the last time we will have such threats. If we are doing all we can to take care then that is all well can do. One day at a time is all we really have. I have friends that are worring them self sick over this. "What if" will make you sick if it drives your life.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

If the stores no longer have sanitizer solution on the shelf, go buy a bottle of vodka. It won't kill germs but it'll help take your mind off the overall situation.
                      HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

I'm with you, Eddy, be sane, not insane. And Hank, great advice..cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                          If the stores no longer have sanitizer solution on the shelf, go buy a bottle of vodka. It won't kill germs but it'll help take your mind off the overall situation.
                          Don't buy vodka - buy 151 Rum. Sanitizer is 70 percent ethyl alcohol, and 151 rum is 75.5% ethyl alcohol. It will kill the germs, and also make your hands smell nice - just don't drive after using - the police will likely not be amused at your explanation...

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

We’ve had 16 deaths so far in Washington. King County has bought a hotel and are setting up modular buildings to quarantine people. Some School districts have shut down. Events are being cancelled. I went to costco a few days ago and their entire supply of toilet paper and paper towels were sold out. I never knew tp would be the go to thing to hoard in an emergency.
                            I’m not too concerned for myself, but more so for my young children.
                            Last edited by 4ND3R5; 03-07-2020, 09:11 PM.
                            Anders.
                            https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

How to make homemade hand sanitizer
                              Place 2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol) in a bowl
                              Add 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel and mix well
                              Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and mix again
                              Ensure alcohol equals to 60% of mixture
                              Use a funnel to transfer to a liquid soap container
                              Ensure container is tightly sealed
                              Ethanol can be used instead of rubbing alcohol
                              Alternative non-alcohol methods swap one tablespoon of witch hazel and half a teaspoon of tea tree oil for the rubbing alcohol"

Bill
                              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
                              X