Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic Diversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pandemic Diversion

    What to do during this pandemic? It's hard to get inspired enough for some forms of carving, so I decided to tackle a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle based on M. C. Escher's "impossible*" graphic design titled "Belvedere." This design has always appealed to me, sufficiently appealed that I bought an expensive piece of marquetry in Italy (the first photo below). This led to a collaboration with the marquetry master to produce a version of Escher's "Reptiles" combining marquetry & relief carving. See the second photo. The third photo is the completed jigsaw puzzle. Took about ten days.
    * Impossible? Trace the columns from top to bottom (or vice verse). How does the ladder start inside the structure at the bottom and be outside at the top?

    Belvedere1.jpgreptilesInt2.jpgBelvedere2.jpg

  • #2
    That looks like one of those puzzles that you are better off assembling face down. Unless, of course, you need something to keep your focus as long as possible.

    Clever Escher! And you do a great job interpreting his work, pallin. Thanks for posting this.
    HonketyHank toot toot

    Comment


    • #3
      My 86 yro sister is on lock-down in an assisted living facility. Most of the residents are going stir crazy because of lack of social contact. My sister also spends her time doing jigsaw puzzles and tending to her windowsill garden. Her gratitude and positive attitude has the staff visiting her throughout the day. They use her room as a place to get recharged.
      Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

      Comment


      • #4
        My eye went screwy just looking at these,WOW
        . . .JoeB

        Comment


        • #5
          Pallin, ... I don't know how you do it! I almost fall out of my recliner just looking at Escher's work. Those are real brain twisters...
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

          Comment


          • #6
            That is a challenge for a good eye and steady hand. I fall short on both of those. I have turned my attention to rearranging and cleaning the shop ones again. I will finish the finish on a new stick and then start deep cleaning the Shopsmith that is a puzzle in its self.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by papasar View Post
              My 86 yro sister is on lock-down in an assisted living facility. Most of the residents are going stir crazy because of lack of social contact. My sister also spends her time doing jigsaw puzzles and tending to her windowsill garden. Her gratitude and positive attitude has the staff visiting her throughout the day. They use her room as a place to get recharged.
              Your sister sounds like a gem! A person like that is a pleasure to be around, and all too rare.
              Arthur

              Comment


              • #8
                Well done, as always, Phil! I really like the "Reptiles." It looks like the little box at the bottom is labeled "JOB," and it certainly looks like that project could have been one of Job's trials!
                Arthur

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, Pallin, I had to put my glasses back on. Most of the time I can "get along without" but you did it to me.. HA. And love the Sister story.

                  I might add, my 85 year old brother and his wife had been volunteering at a computer re-hab place.It is shut down,and they do not have other hobbies such as ours. We are so lucky to have our group. And I want to thank all of you for your photos and stories here.
                  Chuck
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

                  https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pallin View Post
                    What to do during this pandemic? It's hard to get inspired enough for some forms of carving, so I decided to tackle a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle based on M. C. Escher's "impossible*" graphic design titled "Belvedere." This design has always appealed to me, sufficiently appealed that I bought an expensive piece of marquetry in Italy (the first photo below). This led to a collaboration with the marquetry master to produce a version of Escher's "Reptiles" combining marquetry & relief carving. See the second photo. The third photo is the completed jigsaw puzzle. Took about ten days.
                    * Impossible? Trace the columns from top to bottom (or vice verse). How does the ladder start inside the structure at the bottom and be outside at the top?

                    Belvedere1.jpgreptilesInt2.jpgBelvedere2.jpg
                    My wife and I used to do jigsaw puzzles up in Tennessee. Beat the hell out of watching TV. I wish we had a couple of them right now. We've been entertaining ourselves with Rummy-Q and Scrabble.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Arthur - That small box in the lower corner of "Reptiles" is labelled Job, but it is not a reference to the Bible book or its main character. It is actually a brand of cigarette papers for those who "roll their own."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

                        My wife and I used to do jigsaw puzzles up in Tennessee. Beat the hell out of watching TV. I wish we had a couple of them right now. We've been entertaining ourselves with Rummy-Q and Scrabble.
                        Teach yourselves Cribbage! It's a great card game and fairly easy to learn... Likely lots of stuff on the Net about how to...
                        If you have questions about it, contact me via PM and I'll be happy to help...

                        Claude
                        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Claude View Post

                          Teach yourselves Cribbage! It's a great card game and fairly easy to learn... Likely lots of stuff on the Net about how to...
                          If you have questions about it, contact me via PM and I'll be happy to help...

                          Claude
                          Claude.... My wife learned Cribbage as a kid at the local recreation center that she used to go to after school. When we got married she taught me and it took years for me to win a game from her. I used to play for money aboard the YFU I was stationed on in Long Beach back in the 60's. We had a Boatswain Mate 2/c who took a lot of nickels from me. We now have two boards here at the house and when we get tired of everything else we'll play a couple of games. I have a cribbage game on my computer that I play when I get too tired to carve or really do anything else. I agree. It's a great game!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Glad to hear it! We used to play in the wardroom while waiting for lunch or dinner. The chaplin, the combat cargo off (USMC Capt.) and the Doc and I played. We always accused chaplin of cheating when he look up at the ceiling before playing a card...

                            Taught my sons how and then my grandson. Grandson (14) can hold his own against most players. My sons (both Eagle Scouts) used to play on hikes in the afternoon or evening after making camp. Gambling was not allowed, of course, so I restricted it to hard candy... no money... My youngest (GS's dad) used to take a half dozen pieces on a hike and come home with a half pound or so... As an incentive, the adults would let the outing Senior Patrol Leader eat with the adults (we were all gourmet cooks...) and we would invite him to play crib also. I pushed hard so that all the adults knew that if they saw a scout with a problem or misbehaving or whatever, they would call the SPL to take care of it... Generally, the perks of being SPL outweighed the hassle of having to be the leader... And, of course, seeing the perks the SPL got, a lot of other Scouts aspired to be an outing SPL (particularly the food...) Top ramen gets old after a while compared to Beef Bourguignon, New England boiled dinner, tacos beans and rice, fettuccini with clam sauce and steamed broccoli, etc., all cooked on a backpacking stove above 10,000 feet elevation.

                            Claude
                            PS: I used to bake chocolate cake on my backpack stove, as well...
                            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

                              Your sister sounds like a gem! A person like that is a pleasure to be around, and all too rare.
                              Arthur thank you for your kind words. I speak to her every other day and we spend half the time laughing.
                              Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X