No announcement yet.

Hard to stand by when kids are sick.!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to stand by when kids are sick.!!

It has been an interesting month. One of our daughters is a substitute teacher and it turned out that the first positive test for the corona in our city was a student at a school she had just worked at. She was already sheltering at her home when they called and told her. She did not feel well so she went for a test. She was told it would be 2 to 3 days and to stay home. On the fourth day they had not called and she was feeling bad. She called and they said the test would be back 24 to 48 more hours. After another 3 days they had not called, by then she was very sick. She lives alone and we were very concerted for her. The Doctor told her to call an ambulance. She spent about 12 hours in emergency where they gave her fluids and sent her home. After a few more days she started to recover, still no test results. After 14 days they called to say they guess they lost the test and would she come get another test. She was feeling well enough to drive so she got the second test. 3 days after that test they called. She now knows that she had corona virus and recovered and was clear of it, just had antibodies. It was really difficult to not go to her help. The doctor told us not to think about going near her while she was sick, at our age it was just too dangerous. But when your child is sick it is hard to sit on your hands. We are just grateful!! She said she did not think she had ever felt that bad. Every one take care.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Wow, Randy tough and an amazing story. Guess we are designed to continue forward regardless of a "happening." Sure glad she is OK and that is a relief all around. Lots of people do recover but many don't. Glad she is safe and wish you are also. We follow the glove/face mask guidelines but stay inside, mostly anyway.

Sure glad things turned out OK, Randy. Bless her. Without details, I know what it is like to be concerned about a child. Life is tough.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

ARGH! I've been waiting for a story like this.
      Randy, I do appreciate your observations.
      I'm trying to prepare myself to sit on my hands.

My D1 is a researcher in Emergency Human Medicine and
      their Corona virus team project starts tomorrow, Apr 06.
      Brian T

Comment

Wow, Randy, talk about being on the horns of a dilemma! So good that it turned out well.

I have a grandson-in-law who's an ER physician and a granddaughter who's a nurse on a Covid-19 floor with inadequate safety supplies, and I worry about them as well as all the family...so much delay in federal response and incompetence in having necessary equipment stored is frustrating.
        Arthur

Comment

Randy,
          Thanks for sharing your experience, glad it worked out as well as it did. Stay Safe.

Comment

Randy, I thankful your daughter is well again. It is very sad what is going on with tests being lost. But because of the situation it is not surprising. The same thing happened here in my town at the local hospital. Unfortunately, the 26 year old young man died in the ICU. I along with thousands of others will be so glad when this is all behind us. Stay safe.

Bob L

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              It has been an interesting month. One of our daughters is a substitute teacher and it turned out that the first positive test for the corona in our city was a student at a school she had just worked at. She was already sheltering at her home when they called and told her. She did not feel well so she went for a test. She was told it would be 2 to 3 days and to stay home. On the fourth day they had not called and she was feeling bad. She called and they said the test would be back 24 to 48 more hours. After another 3 days they had not called, by then she was very sick. She lives alone and we were very concerted for her. The Doctor told her to call an ambulance. She spent about 12 hours in emergency where they gave her fluids and sent her home. After a few more days she started to recover, still no test results. After 14 days they called to say they guess they lost the test and would she come get another test. She was feeling well enough to drive so she got the second test. 3 days after that test they called. She now knows that she had corona virus and recovered and was clear of it, just had antibodies. It was really difficult to not go to her help. The doctor told us not to think about going near her while she was sick, at our age it was just too dangerous. But when your child is sick it is hard to sit on your hands. We are just grateful!! She said she did not think she had ever felt that bad. Every one take care.
              Glad that she's okay Randy. We almost lost our son when in his 20's he had a roll-over motor vehicle accident and spent two months in a hospital with brain trauma, and then a number of year back we lost our a daughter. We know exactly how you feel. Our kids are suppose to out last us and when they're in trouble there's nothing that you wouldn't do for them.

Comment

My cousin got it, same deal with testing in CA, at 67 she dealt with it at home and recovery. Cousins hospital nurses, best friend working coronavirus hospital Boston, nieces RNs at hospitals, brother's wife the same, cousin three doctors. Another friend owns a wood mill and he is also a part-time doctor at the age of 78 he is back to working full time..... Other family members respiratory therapist....so lots of family in the thick of it all. I do get calls them screaming Stay at HOME!!!!! and my own children are in essential jobs, yes the worries about this issue is the hardest part.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Hi Randy , sure glad your Daughter is Fine and doing well . Merle

Comment

I think when this thing is over, we will all know someone who got this. Our nephew's wife lost her grandmother just last week to Covid-19, and I just had a high school classmate lose a brother who was healthy as a horse to it in Washington State.

I have a bank customer who's son is an ER doc in Hays, Kansas, one of the larger cities in Western Kansas. He swears it went through that community last November and December. Lots of flu like symptoms with negative tests...Hays has a 4 year university that has about 1,000 Chinese students on campus. I am sure that, if in fact it was Corona Virus, it was brought there.

We have our frig and freezer full of food...I don't want to get out anywhere!

You all stay safe!

Comment

Randy - thanks for sharing this story. Many of us are becoming aware that, statistically, more people recover from the virus than die, But it is like we are all trying to survive a hike in the mountains. In order to get down safely we have to walk along the brink of a dangerous cliff. It is especially dangerous for older people because our sense of balance has declined. If we slip or stumble, we're dead! The medical workers are trying to lead us down, but it puts them in danger too. Is there some other way to get down safely? A vaccine might be like a rescue helicopter, but it hasn't been built and tested, yet.

My wife and I were in New Orleans when the pandemic emergency was declared. We were travelling by train and soon returned to California while practicing social distancing. As we look back prior to the pandemic we recall things that might explain our survival (so far). When an serum antibody test becomes available, we may be able to confirm our good luck.

Comment

We thank you all for you good thoughts. These are a hard time . But many more are recovering than not. And if we work together to stay in it well be brought to a manageable point. And with the would looking for the right meds help will come. I have stopped watch any thing other than local news. The doomsday press seems to promote panic more than promoting a comprehensive response to the problem. The American people are lost in the unending barrage political crap being mixed in to the corona pandemic by all sides. It has nothing to do with helping those who are sick or may get sick or recovery. Just a way to try and influence Nov.

We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Glad that your daughter recovered and is feeling better. Scary times we live in.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Mam Randy, I was literally holding my breath while reading your post. It was a relief to see that she made it through. At first, I was very irritated that they lost her test, but then I had to set back and tell myself it was lost on purpose, I'm sure. It is that people are just overwhelmed the COVID-a9 and worked to the breaking point. I just hope we can all be strong and not lose our cool during stressful times.

Again so pleased your daughter is improving.
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

So glad your daughter is ok now Randy. These are tough times.
                              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X