Young mind / old body= trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young mind / old body= trouble

There can be a issue or two when your young at heart but old of body. Last week I looked out me window and noted there were some yard cleaning, tree trimming and planting chores to be done. I told my self you can do that today. There was time when I could do it all in a few hours. I forgot that time was lone gone. I enthusiastically gathered my tools and set out on my quest. After a few hours of trimming and digging holes for some plants I found my way to the porch and a comfortable chair. My wonderful bride of 32 years brought me a cold drink and a snack. Noting I was having a bit of back pain thought I would rest a while longer. After about an hour I it was time to get back to work. The mind was willing but the body screamed NO! It is now three days later and I can stand straight once again and move across the room in less than 20 minutes. In a moment of clarity I payed my grand son to finish the unfinished yard work . Which he did in about a hour. If I can remember I will hire him to do it all next time.
    Last edited by Randy; 04-26-2020, 11:20 AM.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Hi Randy , It's ADJUSTMENT TIME . When you were younger and worked out in the Yard you got Stronger by using your Mussels , from now on all the Exercise you do will get you TIRED . You will also start to do things in STEPS and not overdoing it . Been their and doing that . Not a Bad Thing you can still ENJOY those little Chores . Stop and Smell the Roses now and then . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
      Hi Randy , It's ADJUSTMENT TIME . When you were younger and worked out in the Yard you got Stronger by using your Mussels , from now on all the Exercise you do will get you TIRED . You will also start to do things in STEPS and not overdoing it . Been their and doing that . Not a Bad Thing you can still ENJOY those little Chores . Stop and Smell the Roses now and then . Merle
      Sadly I forgot that Merle. My wife reminded me of the last time I forgot. With luck I am not to old to learn.

Comment

Randy... There's a great poem which I'm sure you've seen about "The Golden Years" that covers this subject more than adequately. However, I don't believe that WCI would appreciate it being posted on their forum. Not that it's bad! It's just senior rated!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
          Randy... There's a great poem which I'm sure you've seen about "The Golden Years" that covers this subject more than adequately. However, I don't believe that WCI would appreciate it being posted on their forum. Not that it's bad! It's just senior rated!
          I found it Eddy, and AMEN!

Comment

Got a mean limp and the back is really bad, the fact is the fact that I get out there and do it anyway. I take major breaks and often. I know the exercise is a must or I will get to the point like my dad, were a walk from the refrigerator to the recliner can be a major event, he stops doing things because it hurt and the muscle stop working.

It is hot and I hurt, nothing new, the breaks make it easier to finish each task. Breaking up a clay garden is not fun, but I need the veggies this year...the state is closed down for another month due to the pandemic and for how long? That unknown is keep me walking in spite of being busted up. The islands half are not working or more and sit in long lines to get food from the government, just how long that will last is unknown, then what? Get my rear end up and take care of business until life changes. I see the depression coming if things do not change soon.

Bad bones and world pandemic and hurricane season coming....got too much work to do to think much about any of it....although my only upset centers around wanting to do carvings and no time. The fact is I am slow as a turtle these days is a fact I must accept. Still, it gets done, it just takes a long time. I am at a point, art is dead no one is buying and everyone needs what they have....points in the history of what is happening right now. I need to change my plans, but art for art's sake instead of money is always a part of my world. As we used to say.... Keep on Truckin! no matter what.

Comment

Randy , both my wife and I can relate to this whole subject. Over the Easter weekend we drove up 250 miles to eastern WA. to ours sons home, he and his lovely has decided to remove the front lawn 1,300 sq ft. And remove approx, 6" of dirt. Now son used a man killer grass cutter, not me..

Then we all threw all this grass onto a trailer and unloaded all that in areas of need in the pasture. The came the digging/rototiller, Shoveling onto trailer and dumping into the old pond .. Over 3 days .. and the levelling. Then after we al rested and such. We drove back here. 4 days later we could walk again.

And now Eddy I am going to find that poem . And have a cup a ...
              My hands to all yours take care and stay safe.
              Chuck
              Chuck
              Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

I've had a wonderful life, goin' on 88 years. Lots of great memories. Few regrets. I take pride in things I've given up: quit gymnastics, climbing mountains, rock climbing, hang gliding, motorcycle riding. I still like to putter in the garden, clipping a few runners off the hedge or cleaning up previous clippings. Sometimes it turns into a big job, but I keep going. My woodcarving continues at a slow pace; I've never set deadlines for projects. We had planned to continue travelling this year, including a month at Bainbridge Island and another in Italy. Those cancellations have been the primary impacts of the pandemic. No, I take that back. I sing in two men's choruses. We cannot get together, nor can we harmonize on Zoom.

Comment

My Doctor smiled and said constant moderation in all thing physical is the rule of thumb. My problem seems to abiding by the rule.

Comment

I can also relate, Randy. The wife and I walk about an hour each morning and that helps us get through the day but in a sedentary way. We talk and are amazed by what we did when younger from running a sluice box 10 hours a day, planting, gardening, etc. In some ways, it is incredible what we could do. Now the backs are shot, joints with arthritis, breathing reduced, on and on. So, I sit and mostly carve and she reads or slowpokes around. Glad they don't have basic training for seniors because I'd flunk out the first day. No regrets though, Randy, and accept we are older. I now hire someone to do basic things I did from plumbing, truck work, roof work, etc. Carving perks my day up a lot...thankfully!
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Well, the Butlers are waiting for the 30th. Pam crushed two more discs in her back along with a hairline crack. This will be her second go-around with the silicone injects in the spine. I hope they work as well as last time.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

The United Way has an aid program here called "Better At Home" for seniors. Essentially a wage subsidy.
                        What you pay depends upon your retirement income. Fair enough.

I had no legs. Standing and walking was excruciating.
                        The program let me hire both a gardener and a housekeeper.

COVID-19 shut it all down.

But, the outdoor gardener part is starting up again.
                        I can walk again and stand up for a while but still not well enough to do the yard work.
                        My sense of balance didn't get fixed so ladder work, etc. is still out of the question.
                        The gardener that I had before is back. He knows what to do. He knows where all the tools are.

Depending on how you feel, everybody 65+ ain't 40 any more. Nope, not at all.
                        Don't even try to fool yourself.

Brian T

Comment

OK to think young as long as I act my age.
                          Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Randy, I did the same thing as you yesterday, with the same results...my back paid the price. My youngest son and his son did preventive maintenance on my roof while I did the yard work, but of course I overdid it.

I have a hard time coming to grips with paying someone to do what I can do (correction, "used to do") myself...it's not that I mind paying for services, but I feel like a layabout not doing it myself. Time for the old dog to learn new tricks, which I'm slowing and intermittently doing.
                            Arthur

Comment

I hear all of you! I hire out a lot of work, but my problem is, it just doesn't get done to the standards I am use to. I am having to learn to be grateful for what does get done and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X