X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
    Generators did a mass study about disasters and generators.

One issue is a hurricane the generator is on and then you go outside and the sucker has been stolen, a supernormal event during diasters. Videos after a hurricane and generators, the first issue can not find gas stations open, often you have to travel out of hurricane areas to get gas which turns into an all-day event. The next issue the cost of running a generator is more than a whole box freezer of food or more ...one week is a big cost.

Next drag that darn thing out and starting it every 90 days, cleaning it. It is heavy and not easy.. then put gas in, clean it, repairs?, and drag it back into the storage area is too much work including getting it ready for the hurricane. Plus I see one too many people catch something on fire with them. All this I then decided it was cheaper and easier not to have one... I sold it. Everyone kept saying you are going to regret it, and I said do not think so....just need cheaper and easier alternative methods.
    Much of what you say is why I have never bought a unit. But Its not just Hurricanes. We can lose power with a number of the thunder storms and tornadoes we have during the year. They drop some of the big trees also. We have many friends who have the permanent natural gas units. They share they have very few issues. They are more expensive units. But like tool you pay for the better ones.
    And they add value to a home. We are in our mid seventy’s and nothing is getting easier including dealing with the heat and humidity here. The last week was harder than the three weeks we dealt with in Ivan. They have some solar emergency back up systems now. I am going to look at some of those. But I know nothing about them but my experience with solar units back in my work life was not positive.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

• DiLeon
      Senior Member Hawaii
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Randy View Post
      Just a quick note. Minor tree damage at are home no other damage. Power out not sure when it will be back many trees down in Mobile. Many in our neighborhood. May be to night or a week + form now. Will check in when i can. Good new (a lot of walking sticks on the drowned):-)
      Hate to do this, but looks like you may have to worry about Beta, a tropical storm turning hurricane to hit Texas and then roll up the coast in a curving North-Eastern direction because of a trough coming in. Which means depending on the curve and ever-changing predictions,... it is eyeballs out the window time again. Right now this means more rain and storm surge. Although you are on the tail end of the warning as with Sally we know how that ended up. Claude looks like this time, you and Arthur may get kissed also. These trains of hurricanes are pain in the rear end....that I deeply hate. More walking stick coming in.
      Last edited by DiLeon; 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
      X