X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy
    • Nov 2016

After Sally

Just a quick note. Minor tree damage at are home no other damage. Power out not sure when it will be back many trees down in Mobile. Many in our neighborhood. May be to night or a week + form now. Will check in when i can. Good new (a lot of walking sticks on the drowned):-)
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/
  • joepaulbutler
    • Jan 2009

Glad your still there :->
    . . .JoeB

Comment

• Arthur C.
      Senior Member Louisiana
      • Oct 2012

Glad to see you were on the west side...Pensacola area got hammered, especially with rain. You were in my thoughts as Sally went through, good to know you have no serious damage.
      Arthur

Comment

• Brian T
        • Jan 2011

Carver's and Turner's paradise for wood now.
        Happy to read that you can find some positive things about the situation.
        Happy to read that you didn't get pounded to a pulp, either.
        Brian T

Comment

• Nebraska
          Excessive Sander
          • Sep 2019

Randy,

Glad you are ok, hope the power is back on soon.

Comment

• Claude
            Super Mod Louisiana
            • Nov 2005

Glad you're ok, Randy. Hopefully, you'll get power back soon.

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

• DiLeon
              Senior Member Hawaii
              • Jun 2009

I saw it was going past you. Heard the power is down out there, saw the pictures on the news, You were right about the oak trees down roots and all. Hopeful this is the end of it this years season?
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

• Randy
                • Nov 2016

Thanks everyone. No power. Their saying between now and Sunday. Now would be good! To old for this stuff. We were out of power almost 3 weeks with Ivan.

Comment

• DiLeon
                  Senior Member Hawaii
                  • Jun 2009

When I was younger it was nothing to be in one, but the older I get the more stress it is. Plus clean up is not fun either. I always have damage to the fruit trees so I got them tied to ground stakes every time one shows up and always blows over the banana does not take much wind, and then the massive rain,...yuk. The rain people do not know what that is until they been in a hurricane and it is coming in from every crack it can find. Your lucky they will get your electric going soon....here it can be up to three weeks. Hope things settle down.

Comment

• Arthur C.
                    Senior Member Louisiana
                    • Oct 2012

Just read that "hundreds of thousands" are without power from Sally! Unbelieveable! We have a generator to run essentials when necessary, but haven't had to use it this year...YET! Another storm is brewing in the Gulf, and more in the Atlantic...busiest hurricane season that I can remember, by far.
                    Last edited by Arthur C.; 09-18-2020, 04:04 PM.
                    Arthur

Comment

• Randy
                      • Nov 2016

The good news is we have power as of about 30 min. ago!! So greatful.
                      Your right Di these things were easyer in my younger days. I had more damage from hurrican Ivan in 2004 and the power was out for almost 3 weeks. It did not feel as hard to deal with as Sally has.
                      Strange fact sixteen years ago on the same date hurricane Ivan came in and at almost the same point below Mobile Bay and nere the same time frame. Turned right Just like Sally did going into Gulf shores and Pensacola.

Comment

• Randy
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                        Just read that "hundreds of thousands" are without power from Sally! Unbelieveable! We have a generator to run essentials when necessary, but haven't had to use it this year...YET! Another storm is brewing in the Gulf, and more in the Atlantic...busiest hurricane season that I can remember, by far.
                        Arthur a generator is coming soon to this house. At this point I think 2020 Is only second to 2005 for the number of storms. But there still 21/2 months. to go.

Comment

• Arthur C.
                          Senior Member Louisiana
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Randy View Post

Arthur a generator is coming soon to this house. At this point I think 2020 Is only second to 2005 for the number of storms. But there still 21/2 months. to go.
                          Randy, about a year or so after we got our generator about 20 years ago, I couldn't get it to start. Brought it to a repair shop and had it worked on. The repair man told me that if I ran it for 15 minutes every 90 days it would be very reliable. I've done that faithfully, and it still starts on the first pull every time. Also, use of a fuel preservative. Just wanted to pass that along.

Glad your power is back...you never know how long it'll take, new ballgame every time, right?
                          Arthur

Comment

• Randy
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Randy, about a year or so after we got our generator about 20 years ago, I couldn't get it to start. Brought it to a repair shop and had it worked on. The repair man told me that if I ran it for 15 minutes every 90 days it would be very reliable. I've done that faithfully, and it still starts on the first pull every time. Also, use of a fuel preservative. Just wanted to pass that along.

Glad your power is back...you never know how long it'll take, new ballgame every time, right?
                            Thanks Arthur. We are thinking about going with one of the permanent home natural gas home unit. They are expensive but we are at an age that moving a portible unit around and storing and hauling gas cans is a issue. From what I have read your advise holds true with them also.

Comment

• DiLeon
                              Senior Member Hawaii
                              • Jun 2009

Generators did a mass study about disasters and generators.

One issue is a hurricane the generator is on and then you go outside and the sucker has been stolen, a supernormal event during diasters. Videos after a hurricane and generators, the first issue can not find gas stations open, often you have to travel out of hurricane areas to get gas which turns into an all-day event. The next issue the cost of running a generator is more than a whole box freezer of food or more ...one week is a big cost.

Next drag that darn thing out and starting it every 90 days, cleaning it. It is heavy and not easy.. then put gas in, clean it, repairs?, and drag it back into the storage area is too much work including getting it ready for the hurricane. Plus I see one too many people catch something on fire with them. All this I then decided it was cheaper and easier not to have one... I sold it. Everyone kept saying you are going to regret it, and I said do not think so....just need cheaper and easier alternative methods.

Comment

Working...
                              X