Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted to give a shout out to this forum!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claude
    replied
    Originally posted by PHolder View Post
    Well since you asked. Its a kitchen knife. Ended up using 30-minute epoxy and the cutler rivets. Would not use the rivets again as they were 'temperamental' on whether they were going to seat or not.

It all ended well. The scales are Padauk finished with a little Feed and Wax.
    Nice looking knife!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I've been kicked out of 2 carving sites for being critical of the torrent of personal attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Di , we are glad you here and that other site don't know what they have lost in losing you . Doesn't look like a Nice Place to go. Merle

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    So true Di

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    One thing about this forum that I love is everyone on here has honor, not looking for a fight, and willingness to share information is outstanding..... that is priceless these days.
    Yep, and it isn't due to a billion rules, but members seem to have "common sense," which isn't very common these days. Do unto others as...comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Funny you posted this, .....I just posted on a major large forum that is extremely unfriendly but has a few good people who give great advice. But have to put up with non stop smart a... marks, hoards of trolls, and works. Someone asked me why I do not post in the other threads. I told them plainly that I go to other more friendly forums where people have respect, people are not allowed to start fights nor bully and they love to share information. And on top of it, I posted that I did compare their forum to the star wars movie bar site and that the forum is not an enjoyable place to be, with this photo paste on it. If they kick me off, I would be happy, to say the least.

One thing about this forum that I love is everyone on here has honor, not looking for a fight, and willingness to share information is outstanding..... that is priceless these days. 5bb20477653b32b157fe224f9bb1692e.jpg

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    I've visited many forums from wood working to pyrography, to electronics, to...and this forum is the best I have encountered and great helpful people. Information and other things flow like sweet honey. Glad I am here. Can't say enough positive things about this place.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    I have left a number of forums. The great thing about the WCI is the respect everyone gives to their fellow carvers. And the groups willingness to offer helpful and corrective feed back with out criticism. A number of groups I have left act more like attack dogs with people looking for help. Here regardless of skill level the effort is a plodded and suggestions offered. I have watched skills levels improve in others as well as my own do the help given here. Thanks everyone!!

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    It is indeed a grand web site, Welcome aboard

Leave a comment:

• PHolder
    replied
    Well since you asked. Its a kitchen knife. Ended up using 30-minute epoxy and the cutler rivets. Would not use the rivets again as they were 'temperamental' on whether they were going to seat or not.

It all ended well. The scales are Padauk finished with a little Feed and Wax.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    If you were doing a woodcarving knife, I would say use brass wood screws instead of pins. Since it's a kitchen knife, use stainless steel wood screws. I've done it in the past using brass wood screws. I had holes in the knife blank. I clamped and pre-drilled pilot holes through the knife blank into the wood scales. Then clamped the 3 pieces together with 5 minute epoxy and lining everything best fit. Inserted the screws so that the middle of the threaded section was somewhere the center of the knife blank. Then I cut of the protruding ends of the screws. Then I shaped up the handle. And it was done. It's an old knife but here's a pic.

BobL
    201229_0002.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    This is a very sane place for wood carvers of all stripes and styles.
    At the same time, I see the mods throwing the spammers under the bus very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Thanks PHolder. It is sad that some "affinity groups" on the Internet have to protect themselves from bad actors. Perhaps the regulars here have found a way to keep us on track with our founding purpose(s),

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi PHolder, I had the same Experience with another Site . Thought I was applying for a Loan . I think I'm a Member but that doesn't matter because I'm not going back . Again Welcome . Merle

Leave a comment:

• PHolder
    started a topic Wanted to give a shout out to this forum!!

Wanted to give a shout out to this forum!!

This forum seems to be unusual among the interwebs. I joined late 2020 and received nothing but a warm welcome. Like my local club, ya'll are a friendly bunch. This is in contrast to others I have been a part of.
    Case in point. My son gave me a Zhen kitchen knife blade from Woodcraft that needed scales to be attached. Not sure of the process and with not entirely clear instructions, I googled it up. Came across a forum that seemed to have members that rescale kitchen knives. Joined the forum but:
    • Had to post in the introductions section before my first post. Done
    • That had to be approved before I could post in the rest of the forum. Took two days.
    • ed my question in the appropriate section, Shop Talk. Received a response scolding me for not posting in the intro section. Replied with a link to said introduction. No apologies or acknowledgement.
    • Decided to go ahead after no responses after several days.
    • Did receive one response saying not to just epoxy the scales on but use pins, rivets or bolts. Thank you but was asking which is best for the kitchen and fool proof for a newbee.
    • Would post pictures of my completed work but you are not allowed to do that in the Shop Talk section.
    That place was just too much work and not the warmest welcome.

Again, Thank you all for the friendly welcome and encouragement along the way.
    Last edited by PHolder; 01-22-2021, 08:44 AM.
Working...
X