Here we go again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again.

Another early start to the hurricane season. Two lows out there on, one in the gulf.They do not look like they will be a issue. I just hate to see it start again. Most areas on the central Gulf are still dealing with last years storms in one way or the other. Time to check on our storm kits if you haven’t. I made a list last night. We have decided to invest in a back up power unit. Because of covid it will be late July before the unit will be delivered. We are to old to deal with the heat and it cost to restock a freezer and refrigerator every time we lose a week or two of power.
    Last edited by Randy; 05-22-2021, 09:51 AM.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Randy,

Global warming is a *****! Hope the season is kind to you. I went ahead and bought a small generator this year. Just big enough to run the furnace, refrigerator and a couple lights. Of course here it is usually and ice storm that takes out our power.
    Ed
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/bmart50/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from=
    Local club
    https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Just received our replacement for the A/C and Heater Unit today , going into the 90 Degs . next week so will be ready . It's the Portable Type , the Old one was only 3 yrs. old but couldn't get it apart to clean it , gave it to the Grand Son . As Randy said , to Old to mess with it so Replaced it . It is a 14,OOO BTU Unit and served us well .
      Randy , I think you will be glad your made your decision with the Back up Power Unit .

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
        Just received our replacement for the A/C and Heater Unit today , going into the 90 Degs . next week so will be ready . It's the Portable Type , the Old one was only 3 yrs. old but couldn't get it apart to clean it , gave it to the Grand Son . As Randy said , to Old to mess with it so Replaced it . It is a 14,OOO BTU Unit and served us well .
        Randy , I think you will be glad your made your decision with the Back up Power Unit .

I think so too Merle. We are going with a N/Gas unit. Gasaline can be hard to get after a storm and We really have no place to store gas cans. In our area most yards have 2 or more large oaks. We can and do loose power for a day or two because a thunderstorm took one down. Thats not counting hurrcane season. Last year the last one to come in dropped 30 just in our neighborhood. About half of those took power lines with them. We have gone as long as 3 weeks with out power, not fun in a Mobile summer. But I was younger and tougher then.

Comment

We are on the tail of a 500 mile power line. Anything at all and we get knocked off.
          Could be daily, weekly, who knows?

I agree with a back-up power system. Just enough to keep your place running.
          Generators are too easily stolen here so I went with a solar panel system.
          I have 4 camp stoves (big and little) and a grill/BBQ so there's hot food any time.

I know, I know, it's a real drag to have to seriously consider such things as essential.
          But, the very first time you have to "push the button," you will be pleased.
          Brian T

Comment

Hi Brian , Generators are Stolen , never thought that could be a Problem . Merle

Comment

Example. Somebody was watching the police station near the beginning of a 30 day power failure.
              They knew when there wasn't even somebody on the front desk. Tippy-toed into the back yard and swiped the police generator.
              A lock on a garden shed door means nothing to a determined thief.

My solar panels are away up on the S side of my house. It would be quite a chore to get them down.
              Certainly as much work as it was for me to put them there in the first place. All the wire, charge controller, deep cycle batteries and inverter are indoors.
              Brian T

Comment

Solar is a great way to go if you live in a area with enough sun. Thinking about it for the truck camper...our escape capsule.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I could dispense with the solar panels and recharge the deep cycle batteries with a charger.
                  After all, in my situation, the grid power does come on again and I can do all this after dark.

The batteries store the juice. That is determined by the plate surface area. 2 x 6VDC batteries
                  in series for 12VDC have a lot more plate area than 1 x 12VDC. Adding more batteries is the smart thing to do.

My panels are making juice even on cloudy days. Sunshine and very cold (10 below) is best.
                  Brian T

Comment

I was thinking about you and the other members there on the gulf just the other day when they were talking about it being hurricane season. Hope it is a mild season for you all
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

15-20 years ago we were seeing a rash of A/C units being stolen or stripped for the copper. My wife and I had a small enclosure on the side of the house fenced in with 6' chain link and then installed two heavy duty padlocks, one for the latch and a second for a 3/8" chain. There's room out there to install a small generator but then there's the problem of fuel. Our sheds get too darn hot to store gas in them. Up to this point we've just roughed it during power outages. Years ago I bought a small propane camping stove and we've got a collection of personal sized battery operated fans and lighting fixtures. Multiple showers during the day help keep us cool and wearing little or no clothes helps. In fact, yesterday we sat down a made a small list of things like more batteries and shelf stable food stores to pick up over the next week or so. But I guess if things got too bad we could always see which of the kids still has power although we'd hate to impose on them. We're in the 4th evac zone so if something really big with a high surge was predicted we'd have to leave anyway. As they say, "Hide from the wind, run from the water."

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                        Hi Brian , Generators are Stolen , never thought that could be a Problem . Merle
                        It's a problem here every hurricane season. We run ours on a back deck with a chain and padlock in place, plus a thief would have to do through two locked gates. Also, when the generator stops it's like an alarm going off...guaranteed to wake you from a dead sleep!
                        Arthur

Comment

Did a massive search on generators over the years my house is set up to hook one up....but it became clear after lots of reports in Florida after hurricanes that stolen generators are extremely high and next if you do have one, ....finding a gasoline station open is a major issue often they would have to go into another state to get it and it was all day issue. Plus had a friend in the mainland who lost everything due to the fact the generator out back outside but near the shed.... caught the shed on fire, which caught the house on fire...they lost everything. I have heard one too many stories of them catching on fire. The issue of having it far enough and away from the house was another consideration which meant building a platform just for the generator plus chain link security? The next issue was the cost of running it...all the math did not add up. I have lost food in the past but....the whole setup was costing more than I wanted to deal with. I sold the generator mainly because of dragging the darn thing out and running it every so often plus maintenance. I could not see the plus equal all the negatives.

So I got portable solar panels and lights that could be stored and not damaged in a storm as a full panel and high wind and flying debris...they would have to be pulled down. My freezer became an item that food would need to be replaced so make sure it had nothing costly in it....and could eat fast before a storm. The freezer is stored with blocks of ice before a hurricane's arrival. Storage of dry items and more ...would keep me fed. This year I am going to add ply to both sides of the shelter doors and strengthen them. Plus get a better plan for preparedness when one is coming. This includes not trimming the trees until after the season and trimming ones that will whip the house. The patio awning,... see if I can tie it down this year, as it appears to be on its last legs. AS far as cooking I have five ways to cook without gas or electricity. A method for no water is tucked away.

This year we are on the mild side as it seems when it is rocking in the mainland the pacific is milder.....with the ocean getting hotter over the years, although I question that one deeply. Here nowhere to run...learn a long time ago how to hunker down. I got radios although to keep in contact with my neighbors, plus gear in case of evacuation which means on foot, so I watch those idiot hurricane chasers every year go sit in 5 hurricanes and see how that is done. If the house goes...then I have camping gear and tons of tarps. Learned a lot about that one from the volcano disaster.

As far as the heat,...it will be hand fans, and solar camp fans to stay cool. And if too much can walk to the ocean and jump in for cooling and pray the sharks are not around....LOL

Comment

Atlantic hurricane season is high this year...All expect 15-18 named storms, 7-9 hurricanes, and 2-4 major hurricanes (Category 3 or higher). In the pacific we are low, The CPHC is forecasting two to five tropical cyclones to form in the Central Pacific this year, and an 80% chance of a near or below-normal season. ....and they are not saying much else which is strange....but all this is taken as a grain of salt. Their predictions do not mean much these days as the weather is clearly changing. Part I hate most about hurricanes is waiting....when they are coming straight toward you and seeing if and when they hit....that crap I am getting to old for!! ....
                            Last edited by DiLeon; 05-23-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                              Atlantic hurricane season is high this year...All expect 15-18 named storms, 7-9 hurricanes, and 2-4 major hurricanes (Category 3 or higher). In the pacific we are low, The CPHC is forecasting two to five tropical cyclones to form in the Central Pacific this year, and an 80% chance of a near or below-normal season. ....and they are not saying much else which is strange....but all this is taken as a grain of salt. Their predictions do not mean much these days as the weather is clearly changing. Part I hate most about hurricanes is waiting....when they are coming straight toward you and seeing if and when they hit....that crap I am getting to old for!! ....
                              Me too Di !!

Comment

Working...
                              X