X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    Rained 1/4" or so at 3 AM, that must have been near snow but the temp was well above freezing.
    Fresh snow up top which is no real surprise. Boil Water Order still in effect. Melt up top is too big and too fast for the system. Same as last spring (above 4,500').

I think I'll throw a carving kit together to sit outside on the spur of the moment.
    I have a new bow drill roughed out, this one a pair of frogs to hold the cord.

On the other end, in the Deep South 88 - 90% humidity dew point 77 and a inch of rain so far this afternoon and another tonight. I will trade with you!!
    Last edited by Randy; 06-06-2021, 04:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Rained 1/4" or so at 3 AM, that must have been near snow but the temp was well above freezing.
    Fresh snow up top which is no real surprise. Boil Water Order still in effect. Melt up top is too big and too fast for the system. Same as last spring (above 4,500').

I think I'll throw a carving kit together to sit outside on the spur of the moment.
    I have a new bow drill roughed out, this one a pair of frogs to hold the cord.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    Bring your coat and a pair of mittens. +10C/50F with hard cold rain showers for a week.
    That explains our weather on Friday: 69 and showers. Today it's suppose to be near record breaking high temperature of 94 and sunny and humid today. Yep--can't beat that New Jersey weather.

BobL

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Gulf Coast heat and humidity are no fun in the Summer. My carving place is a corner of my un-airconditioned garage. I can only carve in the morning, as the afternoons are just plain too hot. I have a vertical fan on my workbench that I point at myself, which helps a bit. After I sweat a while, the blowing air makes my tee shirt feel cooler... The way I carve throws larger chips all over the place, so I can't carve inside the house. Thought about getting one of those yard buildings (12x16 feet) that could be put out back and putting a window A/C unit in it, but running a legal power wire out there with a circuit breaker, multiple lights and electrical outlets, and 30 amp capacity, is pretty expensive, so I gave up on that.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Bring your coat and a pair of mittens. +10C/50F with hard cold rain showers for a week.
    Even snow in the forecast for the next 3 nights. You will get used to carving with gloves on.
    The furnace is on, upstairs is holding at +21C/70F.

I can recall the heat and humidity that you all speak of from years in Australia and Fiji.
    I don't think I could do that any more.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    Dileon,

Loki is not only a keeper--he's a very handsome fellow. If they'll have it, give them all a knuckle rub behind the ears from da big guy. Our fellas love them rubs and keep coming back for more. Thanks for sharing!

BobL

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
    Your sun and heat is very similar to what we experience in central Florida except that your 8-10 degrees in Latitude further South. And I can attest that there is a difference. **** near got myself court martialed while in the Navy for getting a sunburn at Pearl that put me out of commission for 10-days. But the one difference that I do remember is that you have more of a sea breeze than we do and have more benefit from the trade winds. I love to carve outside and do so as long as I can stand the heat and humidity. However, June through September is not a great time for the elderly to be out in the heat. I even bought myself a small table fan to keep the air passing across my body but that's works for only a short time. With it being June 5th I'm now settled down in my den in the air conditioning. My wife is not real fond of the wood chips in the house but as long as I make a decent attempt to keep them under control it doesn't really bother her.
    My sister lives in Florida and I have often thought of moving there if I have to leave here, cost of living is getting beyond insanity. Your houses are super affordable and you can leave the state when hurricanes come. But I hate Florida bugs and you do not have any mountains which I major enjoy. I remember when my kids were little I would go to the beach here in islands often. Would tell the tourist to watch out for the tropic sun, all said no worries I don't burn. One lady from Florida told me I am used to it, ended up in the hospital in which she had third-degree burns... When she got out of the hospital she was back on the beach ....her skin was black in some areas, the first time I saw a burn that bad,...told me she was on the beach to get a tan before she left. Which my mouth hit the sand...some people have no brains. A person can acclimate to tropical weather. Give time to get used to both the heat and humidity which is not easy and takes time... but doable. That means, yes, spending some time outside every day, preferably in the early morning or the evening hours when it's cooler. Stay out of the sun as much as possible which means trees, shade, and umbrellas...., and keep yourself well hydrated. Appreciate the fact it could be a lot worst like Thailand... a smile.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 06-05-2021, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Just Carving View Post

Well, on the bugs, I still haven't solved that one. Best solution is to just go back in the AC with the cat. He's the indoor bug controller. He's recovering right now from a busy night.

BobL
    We get the major wind at times....the umbrellas above the ground fly, the ones planted in the ground will break. So I keep my eyes on the weather reports especially when it comes to wind strength. I am on a mountain, and for some reason do not get major hit by the wind like my neighbors. Yet I can get major damage if the storm comes from the southeast, or down the mountain which is rare....one year it was blasting at 90 miles an hour down the mountain, and coconuts were flying and hitting the house, which sounded like bombs on the roof. I have cats, plus a new rescue an abused kitten...name Loki, a mean little hell-raiser, now a year old,...but a great rat killer and even catch the feral chickens which are rare that most cats do not mess with the chickens. So he is a keeper ...he has super busy nights also. He is in my shop with me, unlike the other cats you do not tell him not to sit where he is, ....keeps coming back with an attitude!!! Rats love Hawaii so my job is to collect all the dead rats in the lawn first thing in the AM....but glad got a good ratter as rest of the cats are old want nothing to do with them these days.. IMG_0113.JPG
    Last edited by DiLeon; 06-05-2021, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
    I often head out to Wyoming or Colorado for a little fly fishing lots of fine memories sitting under pines or aspen carving a ball in the box.

My sunroom allows me to enjoy the light and views of carving outdoors without the unpleasantries of bugs heat or cold. It is heated air conditioned. In winter I carve at 65* and in the summer 78*
    My grandparents were from Colorado. I have not been back since they passed, but memories of fishing in the lakes, deer in the pines, and the rocky mountains rivers, and springs as a child are imprinted in my mind. I love Colorado. When I lived in the mainland, I had a studio much the same as yours, heated by the woodstove. I miss the studio and light but do not miss the horrid grey sky and nasty winters which I found depressing, ...although often found ice skating on a lake or fishing. For anywhere we live there are major pro and cons. No such thing as the perfect place.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy View Post
    Heat and humidity from May to November on the central gulf coast. Heat 90 + and dew points in the upper 70's, humidity in the 90's to 100% is a typical summer day. With no breeze. Referred as the "Dog Days of Summer". Howevere most of the late fall and early spring are times when I will take my Jaw Horse vise and a box of carving tools to a park on Mobile bay and carve the day away. OH I should share on the back of the Jaw Horse I mount a Rod holder. On a good day I bring dinner home also. But in the summer the window unit in my shop make carving possible.
    At least we have trade winds in the middle of the heat, but like me ...you walk outside and humidity is so high your sweating enough to look like someone poured a bucket of water on you. If I get on my roof, I can see the bay on the south side which was once a volcano crater, and on the east side is the ocean which is across the road and a house away. We are on the slope of a mountain. They say it going to be a hot summer, the 90-degree weather with the high UV frys the garden plants so it only time I do not plant garden. I keep muttering to myself this is good for you sweating is healthy helps get rid of bad toxins in the body. Although I say that often trying to convince myself.... Good, you have a place to fish and carve.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Your sun and heat is very similar to what we experience in central Florida except that your 8-10 degrees in Latitude further South. And I can attest that there is a difference. **** near got myself court martialed while in the Navy for getting a sunburn at Pearl that put me out of commission for 10-days. But the one difference that I do remember is that you have more of a sea breeze than we do and have more benefit from the trade winds. I love to carve outside and do so as long as I can stand the heat and humidity. However, June through September is not a great time for the elderly to be out in the heat. I even bought myself a small table fan to keep the air passing across my body but that's works for only a short time. With it being June 5th I'm now settled down in my den in the air conditioning. My wife is not real fond of the wood chips in the house but as long as I make a decent attempt to keep them under control it doesn't really bother her.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    I often head out to Wyoming or Colorado for a little fly fishing lots of fine memories sitting under pines or aspen carving a ball in the box.

My sunroom allows me to enjoy the light and views of carving outdoors without the unpleasantries of bugs heat or cold. It is heated air conditioned. In winter I carve at 65* and in the summer 78*

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Just Carving
    replied
    After Hurricane Sandy, I had all my trees evaluated by an arborist as there were four 30 year old plus cherry trees and one maple tree. The maple tree was the one that caught my eye as I could see it swaying in the wind from the ground up. Maple trees don't have much roots compared to others. Longer story shorter, all the trees came down. So, I transplanted a couple of cherry tree seedlings that popped up in the back of the yard from cherry pits from neighbors' trees. Anyway, I needed shade in the mean time. So, we had a huge patio umbrella and holder in the shed but it's heavy and the wind kept blowing it over--even with a concrete block sitting on top of the base. We bought a smaller one--actually a beach umbrella. I took a empty cat litter bucket, put some drainage holes in the bottom, added a half a bag of 3/4" mulch stone with a 2 to 3 foot long piece of PVC pipe in the center. I put the beach umbrella in the pipe. I had portable shade that I could move wherever I wanted in the yard. Then after the umbrella went flying Mary Poppins style on a windy day while I was sitting under it, I lashed the umbrella to the PVC pipe with a piece of old clothesline rope.

Now, nine years later, I don't use the umbrella much because I have shade again.
    210604_0000.jpg
    Well, on the bugs, I still haven't solved that one. Best solution is to just go back in the AC with the cat. He's the indoor bug controller. He's recovering right now from a busy night.
    210604_0001.jpg

BobL
    Last edited by Just Carving; 06-05-2021, 07:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Heat and humidity from May to November on the central gulf coast. Heat 90 + and dew points in the upper 70's, humidity in the 90's to 100% is a typical summer day. With no breeze. Referred as the "Dog Days of Summer". Howevere most of the late fall and early spring are times when I will take my Jaw Horse vise and a box of carving tools to a park on Mobile bay and carve the day away. OH I should share on the back of the Jaw Horse I mount a Rod holder. On a good day I bring dinner home also. But in the summer the window unit in my shop make carving posible.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    Oh Di, you live in what many people think of as paradise! Thanks for sharing some of the reality. I like to carve outdoors to get the clarifying effects of direct sunlight, but only at the final stages of a carving. We're about five miles from the Pacific Coast, so the temps are moderated. Ten miles further inland can be 15 degrees warmer.
    We have a lot of people flying here for a vacation the last few months. What they do not know here in paradise is a shortage of rental cars, during the last year's shutdowns the rental car places sold their cars to the mainland leaving a few. So paradise hotel and air flight cost to Hawaii is nothing compared to...the rental cars will cost you seven hundred dollars a day to a thousand is normal cost. Uber wait is about two to three hours if you are lucky. So people are stuck where ever they land.... unless you got about seven thousand to fork over for a car a week to drive around. The insanity of cause and effect of a pandemic. The complaint is why does not someone warn them about these issues?...money talks, truth walks....; in the land of rainbows..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X