Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot summer has come.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hot summer has come.

    100+ Heat index in the wearable air in Mobile today. Waters of th gulf in the 80's and it looks like we may have our first tropical low in the south west gulf buy next week. Hope it is not a repeat of last year gulf storms. I was to old for that last year.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

  • #2
    I sympathize with you Randy, I'd never be able to tolerate those kind of temperatures. Today is considered a " warm " day here on the coast of Nova Scotia. The present temperature (12 noon) is 20°c , or 70°, with a nice gentle breeze off the ocean. I suppose inland it's a bit warmer but I have no desire to find out.
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

    Comment


    • #3
      I really don't think I could handle that heat and humidity any more. No matter how long I had to get used to it. We get the occasional stinker of a hot summer day but I spend time in my cool basement rooms. Sitting still to carve, I might need a light jacket!

      Still chilly up here in the mountains. +10C/50F. Furnace coming on today. Kitchen is +21C/70F.
      WX supposed to be "wet flurries" this evening (aka lumpy rain.) That means fresh snow up top for sure. It's absolutely blinding when the clouds break and the sun comes out. I don't think that I could sit outside for long to carve without a winter coat. Water system still dirty = Boil Water Order.
      Brian T

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes for sure...it is ninety in the house by noon each day, and I am dragging my water jug around, trying to get the body used to the heat for summer, impossible to go outside and work mid-day now. Think humidity is 81 percent right now. Did find out the new bamboo clothes are cooler to wear in this heat at night, hard to get real cotton clothes these days....often says cotton but it is not....comes from china I am sure. I know why in the old days the Hawaiians ran around naked....nothing like looking like someone poured a bucket of water over you all day. I do not do badly in the ninety-degree weather.... but the 100s do affect me, lucky we do not get that hot....at least not yet. With the weather going wacky who knows these days? Today cutting frames for my new paintings for the house, getting sick of looking at the old ones. The sun although is burning the heck out of the garden plants this week....although, looks like I will be closing down the garden early this year perhaps in a week or so. Full summer is the only time I do not have a veggie garden unless it is a mellow year. I do see a lot of ocean storms trying to form cyclones near lower Mexico which are the ones that hit Hawaii, if they form into big ones...will see this year right now they build and fizzle out when the ocean gets warmer is when the big ones come. Hope your off the radar this year in the gulf...

        Comment


        • #5
          We're in a big temp swing this week, Wed & Thru in the mid 60's this weekend mid 90's. Strange weather patterns
          . . .JoeB

          Comment


          • #6
            Randy is right - high temps and high humidity. I had to swim out to mailbox today to get the mail...

            Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dileon View Post
              Yes for sure...it is ninety in the house by noon each day, and I am dragging my water jug around, trying to get the body used to the heat for summer, impossible to go outside and work mid-day now. Think humidity is 81 percent right now. Did find out the new bamboo clothes are cooler to wear in this heat at night, hard to get real cotton clothes these days....often says cotton but it is not....comes from china I am sure. .
              I have not tried the bamboo Di. I have never liked the newer so called summer weight shirts and fishing shirts. Cotton is hard to beat in hot weather. I think you all have a breeze much of the time. We will go days with little to no air movement other than what we make as we walk. It is early for this much heat and humidity. Do not see this weather tell mid July most years.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

              Comment


              • #8
                I can empathize with you Randy, and it is miserable. I've been in 100% humidity @ 100 degrees and even a shower won't stop the sweating. So, I avoid that combination of weather and live on the Oregon coast, high humidity but low temperatures. Have always lived out west for that reason since 1997. Again, I empathize, Randy, and know what you refer to.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

                http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  I worked just a little while on a fence yesterday with one of my sons...temp in high 90s, humidity high 80s. We were drenched in sweat within minutes. Starting up again this a.m., will finish up by 10 o'clock. I can't work in this weather past noon, and even at that, will be whipped for the rest of the day. This used to be August weather. I must be getting old or something...
                  Arthur

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                    I can empathize with you Randy, and it is miserable. I've been in 100% humidity @ 100 degrees and even a shower won't stop the sweating. So, I avoid that combination of weather and live on the Oregon coast, high humidity but low temperatures. Have always lived out west for that reason since 1997. Again, I empathize, Randy, and know what you refer to.
                    I lived in the south west for 40 + yr’s. Came to Al for a job. Fell in love. Wonderful lady but came with hurricanes, heat and humidity. I’ve have been sweating ever since. That’s love!!
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      I have not tried the bamboo Di. I have never liked the newer so called summer weight shirts and fishing shirts. Cotton is hard to beat in hot weather. I think you all have a breeze much of the time. We will go days with little to no air movement other than what we make as we walk. It is early for this much heat and humidity. Do not see this weather tell mid July most years.
                      I got the bamboo PJ and have not worked outside in it. But I notice I am a lot cooler at night and do not sweat so much. Bamboo is supposed to be three degrees cooler than cotton. But I like the softness and bamboo fiber is highly absorbent, much more so, and faster drying than cotton. In warm, humid weather, bamboo clothing doesn’t stick to the skin. My cotton shirts are glued to me in the summer soaking wet. It keeps you drier, cooler and more comfortable. I just bought some with the I got to do something about summer nighttime, and the yea right it keeps you cooler and dryer I bought it thinking it was another sales job lie,.......I did although like it enough I bought a few more. The clothing I have yet to try but was wondering if it could hold up to the bushes and thorns sticking into it. So far only heavy cotton can tolerate hard-worked clothing and bamboo do not know until I test it out. '

                      I can normally keep a garden running until mid-July but I was out looking, too many leaves are burning, and we are not even having full sun days....lots of rain. Bet we have a lot of fires this year. One thing about the last few years is the erosion of the beaches, and some even disappearing...one I used to go beachcombing...is gone. They say we need to get ready this is going to get worst. But I noticed are the long 70 degree summers have almost disappeared the last three years...it is hot and stays hot until late Sept. AS far as our year-round wind, the trades winds are really messed up we are getting lots of pressure systems coming in which stop the winds....last few years. Normal I have to secure the doors inside from blowing shut, but again last few years it is rare I have to do that.

                      The only thing I can do is take a cool shower and then go sit in front of the fan for cool off....and about half an hour later I am sweating again.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                        I worked just a little while on a fence yesterday with one of my sons...temp in high 90s, humidity high 80s. We were drenched in sweat within minutes. Starting up again this a.m., will finish up by 10 o'clock. I can't work in this weather past noon, and even at that, will be whipped for the rest of the day. This used to be August weather. I must be getting old or something...
                        I do not think it is as much as getting old as the weather is not so normal.....this sweating within a short time is something I do not remember but then again could be a lack of wind. Your right this is August weather and Sept weather for us. I am messing with the fence today also....whole darn thing needs to be redone....This year I am putting pipe in the ground instead of the 4 by 4s they rot out too fast even with coating them in roofing tar. This time spacing it for hurricane....every four feet. And praying that the redwood does not hit the ceiling in cost...or God drops some lumber in my yard which could happen but not counting on it as it has to be shipped it,...LOL Just thankful I am not up on that roof fix it this year....figure the heat up there would finish me off.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Randy View Post

                          I lived in the south west for 40 + yr’s. Came to Al for a job. Fell in love. Wonderful lady but came with hurricanes, heat and humidity. I’ve have been sweating ever since. That’s love!!
                          Lived here for about the same amount of time. I fell in love with the mountains and ocean and people. It came with rats, eight-inch centipedes, roaches that move the furniture....volcanos, tsunamis, earthquakes and hurricanes...plus hot sweating summers and the major cost of living. But I stay the vision is worth the pain in the rear end for this artist where how things look matter...LOL.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            109 degrees. 5% humidity. Turn a guy to jerky in no time.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X