No announcement yet.

It is soggy in the south.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44C/111F around the valley @ 4 PM today. Same tomorrow. 21C in my shop, 28C in the kitchen with shade from the house vines.
    As you can imagine, the snow melt up top is disappearing like magic. Tribs and rivers jumping up scary fast. Cold snow melt water in my kitchen sink is +8C/40F makes a great drink.
    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
      44C/111F around the valley @ 4 PM today. Same tomorrow. 21C in my shop, 28C in the kitchen with shade from the house vines.
      As you can imagine, the snow melt up top is disappearing like magic. Tribs and rivers jumping up scary fast. Cold snow melt water in my kitchen sink is +8C/40F makes a great drink.
      You must be really uncomfortable with that kind of heat! I have a friend in Spokane Wa. it was 113 there. Take care and make sure to drink alot of that cool water. If your not use to that heat it can take its toll very quickly.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

We had warn days too. Up to 30°C/86F but a high humidity. I don't know exactly how much.
        We used to have 26°C in the past. For maybe four years now the temperature is rising more and more and we have long periods without rain.
        ​rain.At the moment I do my work at home. Good thing but as I am sitting under the roof it's getting quite warm. I had up to 38°C/100F a few days ago I have no air conditioner and refuse to use it. I decide not to use it because of the changes in climate. You need energy to run it. The making of this energy produce air pollution and this increases the changes of climate.
        We have to stop this circle of death. Maybe I alone can't do anything but I can do my very best.
        I have 3 lovely kids so we are 5 doing something against this exploitation of the world and there are more. For the sake of ny children I hope there will be a lot more people.
        I tried hanging wet blanket in the room where i work and they cooled down the air a bit. I lay a wet towel on my head and my head is cooled down.
        As I say just a little step in this direction but a lot more steps in reducing waste.
        And our life is still quite comfortable.
        Just my 2cents

If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Heidi-cat and I are managing much better than I anticipated. 21C downstairs is quite pleasant. 30C in the main upstairs kitchen is about as much as I need. Perhaps again, this is a lingering benefit of my improved circulation, I don't know. But I feel no distress. Absolutely kicked the bed to pieces last night. Have to rebuild it from the mattress on up.

If this goes on for much longer, I might rig a bed of some sort downstairs in the lounge/library room.

I look out the kitchen window. Between the grape leaves, I can see the melting mountain snow fields across the valley which wind up in my kitchen sink. Have to say, this +8C water tastes mighty fine.
          Brian T

Comment

double-rainbow-hawaii.jpgI am painting in my art shop, a room in the back of the house, great lighting but by noon is about 92 inside there,...that is with the windows open and two fans blowing on me. With my big jug of ice water, it is getting unmanageable as the chair is driving me nuts also. My hips and back start at a low pain level and levels move up as the day progresses. I was thinking need to find a chair and place to paint that is not so hot and easier on the back. I do all my yard and garden work just as the sunrise starts very early AM. The wind is supposed to come today, will see. Sun is hot enough to roast the neighbor yard to a complete dead yellow, not good news for early summer...I keep my yard watered due to planting a few new fruit trees so I am green. It rains and then it gone in five minutes leaving the place to feel just like being in a sauna. Rainbows are pretty so a little justice.

Comment

Thanks for the rainbow. Hard blue sky here with no change expected for a week+.

Heidi-cat and I are doing OK in the heat. I don't need to be out in it very often. She's mostly on the floor (coolest) and I've got a little fan going. Bless Carhartt for the quality of their summer clothing.

Still working on the caterpillars of the butterfly story poles (2) but the 72F shop is very pleasant.
              Got up to 116F on a ranch near the village 4:30 yesterday. Our 40F village cold water tastes so good, the alpine snow pack (source) melt is going fast.
              Brian T

Comment

Lots of hot weather inland a bit, but here on the Oregon coast we are in low 70s...and nice. We do pay for it in the winter though. We just adapt and go forward...
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

4PM. Snow pack was 140% of normal up top at the end of winter.
                  This heat has come so big and so fast, the melt is 1 meter (39") per day. = approx 6" water.
                  Small creeks exploding with water. They all empty into the great Fraser River (on the edge of town.)

So now with the heat, we just got a Flood Warning. First in my 20 years out here.
                  Time to carve a boat? Too little, too late. I'm back away from the Fraser so probably OK.
                  Some low farms along the river are in real trouble, they should get livestock to higher ground tonight.

Won't surprise me if a few bridges spanning tributaries get blown away. A few years back, a bridge disappeared in the spring runoff. Some guys in a helicopter found it, wrecked, a half mile downstream.
                  I could finish carving a birch paddle and hope to get a seat in somebody else's boat!!!!
                  Maybe even rain by next weekend.
                  Brian T

Comment

Sure a perfect storm of weather there, Brian. Weather folks are predicting a record fire season here, so keep an eye out for that. Nature is angry...
                    Bill

Comment

Oppressively hot weather = less time outside on the go = more time inside to carve = gal! Stay safe for those in the path of the storms.
                      My Website: www.carvingjunkies.com
                      Instagram
                      : https://www.instagram.com/carvingjunkies/
                      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carvingjunkies/

Comment

Yep, beat the heat with AC and carving. Btw, Jersey I like your site...well done!
                        Bill

Comment

Hope all in the North West find a cool place to carve in the heat. It is hard to schedule activity’s with the eat and rolling black outs. Talk to s buddy in Spokane Wa. today. We work together in Arizona. He hoped that he was leaving that heat behind.
                          Our eyes are turned back to the lesser Antilles. Two new lows forming out there. It look like one or both could be a issue for those trying to clear the building in Florida, if the lows go north from Cuba. Next week could be bad for them.
                          We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Here in the Piedmont of NC we haven't had any rain to speak of in weeks. We didn't have our April showers this year. Now it's just hot and dry. Shrubs planted in the Fall are now dying.

The area I live in has a phenomenon I have noticed over the years. There will be a line of substantial storms coming from the West in TN or SouthWest in GA. Once they approach Forsyth County they will just disappear. Sometimes they will reform on their way East towards Greensboro.
                            https://www.triadwoodcarvers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                              Jersey I like your site...well done!
                              Thanks Bill! I’m having a lot of fun with it.
                              Dana AKA JG
                              Last edited by JerseyGirl; 06-30-2021, 07:53 PM.
                              My Website: www.carvingjunkies.com
                              Instagram
                              : https://www.instagram.com/carvingjunkies/
                              Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carvingjunkies/

Comment

The news about strange weather conditions in Canada are topics in our news here in Germany.
                                Temperature near 50°C/122F are terrible. Almost one whole city burned down, hundreds of sudden death people and a lot of melting snow.
                                Terrible news to hear. We "only" had some floodings because of heavy rain (not in the region I am living in and bad enough for the people that had not so many luck) and some "hot" days maximum of 30°C/86F.
                                So we can be happy and should stay calm here in Germany.
                                In my thoughts I am with all the people suffering from bad weather conditions.

JerseyGirl : I like your website too.
                                Last edited by wasserretter; 07-02-2021, 01:54 AM. Reason: adding content
                                If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Working...
                                X