X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claude
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy View Post
    We have reached 4 feet of rain year to date may hit 50 inches by next week. Those are weather station measurements at the air port. Some areas are well over that number now.
    We have had 58 inches year to date, measured at New Orleans airport. I also wish we could share some of it with the West. But, the rain forms in the Gulf, and the prevailing winds carry it over us and up the Appalachian range to the NE area.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    Well after a night of sleep and looking at the situation right now i hope things are getting better.
    Rain stoped last night so there was no more rain the whole night. The amount of water came down in the night from 13th to 14th and that was to much for our water-systems.
    And for sure it is not that much water for some other places but the settlement in these areas is very heavy and there are not many areas where the water can spread out.
    And I (age of 56 this year) don't remember such a situation in my neigbourhood and only a few 100 meters away from me so I was realy shocked.
    And for me it is a sign to do a lot of things for environment. I try to do more than I did up to that point and I hope this will persuade some more people to do more.
    And one more result of this happening is that I can understand others having such trouble much more and I can feel a little bit more what they feel.
    I hope you all stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Me too, the whole state does, with all the wildfires if we get much rain at once, it will be mudslides in the hill country, They say we are to have an El Nino winter

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Randy, we've had 2.71" this year
    Wish I could share!!!

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Randy, we've had 2.71" this year

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    We have reached 4 feet of rain year to date may hit 50 inches by next week. Those are weather station measurements at the air port. Some areas are well over that number now.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    That's interesting. We use SI Metric but do not measure rainfall volume. Instead, we use a conversion of the Imperial measurement, just the depth of the water in the rainfall.
    So 12mm rainfall at my house is a bit less than 1/2".
    At that rate, 100liters/m^2 is about 4" of rain. To my thinking, that is big rain.

Today we have a smoke white out, the mountains are gone. Instead of rain we have ash-fall,
    burnt conifer needles wafted up in the hot smoke and carried aloft for many miles. It is falling past my window like odd gray and white snowflakes.

Pity that we can't trade a little. The ash will wash off.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    For those of you who are not sure of the metric system, 160 liter per square meter is a bit over 6 inches.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    A little story from Germany.

​​​​​​
    We had a lot of rain during the last day 50 to 120 l/sqaremeter. More water is about to come (maximum of 160l/sqaremeter. We have over 500 firefighters in our small town with 44000 citizens from allover Nordrhein-Westfalen during the day. Small rivers became big rivers and some places became seas. A lot of German Red Cross volunteers supported a catering operation my daughter is one of them and in the evening me and my wife were helping too.
    But first my wife had to catch my son who came back from a Rescue swimmer deployment on the Baltic Sea (DLRG) and stranded in Dortmund because his train was canceled because of the heavy weather.
    I had to walk the dog and now Im staying at home. My wife and my daughter are still at the fire department.
    Our house is safe and nothing happened to us. But I can't remember of a day with such a heavy weather.
    All in all a very chilled day. NOT

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Wish we could send some of this rain to you in the west. Glad the heave heat has let up some. We are keeping a eye on “Elsa”. Not a issue for us but we have family in south west Florida and the are going to get wet. A sister and her family just escaped life in north California and moved to Naples Fl. This will be their first tropical storm. Should not be a bad storm, it is moving quickly and forecast (at this point ) are for 55mpg winds when it’s off their coast.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I went to the pub for supper. Got smart and took a light jacket as the A/C is relatively COLD!
    They now allowed to open up and just jumping busy tonight. They have a very good kitchen.
    A pint of porter did no harm. Went outside to warm up.

The heat dome has slid 1,500 miles east and they never see as hot as we did.
    Mid 30's is the prediction, not the mid 40's that we got.
    It was the hot nights that were getting to me. Heidi-cat was uncomfortable.
    Why that dummy didn't go sleep downstairs is beyond me.

We might see highs in the low 70's this coming week and rain showers.
    That's absolutely typical for McBride July. I don't need more110.

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    The temperature drops the to high 70s, I got used to the 90s and this feels cold...must be old age and temp gauge breakdown in the old body. Only excitement today had nothing to do with the weather, Boeing 737 jet crashed into the ocean this AM, just outside the airport....it was a cargo plane, and pilots were rescued by the coast guard.

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by wasserretter View Post

JerseyGirl : I like your website too.
    Thank you!
    Dana

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Didn't know that about BC and our only experience there is coming down the ALCAN highway years ago. Beautiful country and very scenic. We love old mining camps.

Thanks for the info and be safe...

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Lytton is/was tight into the rain shadow from the Coast Mountains = serious desert.
    That means sand, rock, sage brush and the odd Ponderosa pine, a few rattlers and scorpions.
    They regularly cracked 100F in the summers. Really neat old place with Gold Rush history.
    There's nobody left at all in what used to be Lytton. Temperatures? Who knows.

I'll say a hard 5-6 hour drive south for me, just to arrive in the hottest part of the day.
    I'm so far inland, up against the wet western face of the Rockies.

I have to do it in 2 days. Stay on a ranch near Cache Creek, that's 4-5 hours.
    Blast past Lytton before noon on the next day to dance into 4-6 lanes of Fraser Valley traffic
    at 80 mph some places. Peak hour traffic for Vancouver is 24/7.
    Having become such a country mouse, the traffic gauntlet into YVR is as bad as a fire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X