Storms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storms.

Any of you carvers in the north east dealing with Henri stay safe. Also those of you in Tennessee’s flood area. Prayers go out for you all.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Hawaii is getting ready for a tropical slam tonight....I am batting down for left over from hurricane LInda...now a tropical storm suppose to weaken before slamming direct into my area as we will get the north end of storm which is the worst part to be in. Major warnings for winds and flash flooding....means getting everything off the floor of the shop just in case and making sure all drainage is working and open on the mountain. We are in the same position as Henri only thing here...people do not do anything for tropical storms but get ready for major floods and outrageous pouring of rain. And ha ha we get forgotten often in the news about anything going on. We are also getting hit really hard with the SARS 2 this time...our hospitals are full, calling a state of emergency last few days, and major under staffed due to medical personal quitting which means we could be locking down soon. I have a neighbor my age...with terminal cancer dying....she is unable to get the quality of care she needs...so the islands are not looking good these days. So all we can do is keep on truckin...as they say.
    Last edited by Claude; 08-23-2021, 10:37 AM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Be safe, and tough.............
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Stock up on water, burn some candles and light a lantern. Be safe and I know what it is like.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

17" inches of water in twenty four hours is more than any landscape, mountains or valleys can be expected to manage. We had13" in 8 hours down here in the flat lands of west Florida back in the 80's and it turned the county into one giant swim hole. Fortunately, without any of the rain becoming vertical water shed it was slow flooding and we had few fatalities and little water force damage but it still affected thousands of residences. I've seen what vertical watershed will do when I was I to my cabin in Tennessee. Many times our 6" deep three foot wide creek turned into a raging torrent that completely covered the bridge that was over five feet above water level during normal flow. One year the hydrostatic pressure lift the wood deck off of the bridge and we never did find it following the flood. It wasn't unusual for us to be stuck on the mountain for a day or two until the creek went down. We always kept a stock of bottled water and extra non-refrigerated food hand for just such emergencies. Not much different than living down here in hurricane alley.

Comment

I agree with Eddie, only we get more rain then that....hurricane can dump 51 inches on you....and it does not have to hit. On the mountain it comes down valleys like brand new water falls and your road is a pathway. If you do not prepare for at least two weeks of no electric, of having no food you can wander about..as there will be people out cooking with the BQ and selling various smoked meats and more. Most people prepare...and the ones that do not well they learn fast. I remember a few times cars floating down the mountain roads, mud, trees, and high water. And are the ones that complain get put on ignore.

You have food, water, means to cook, nice big medical bag...for times without electric and and serious damage to your house which stored for bad days...., and know you may get stuck without help for awhile...especially living out of the city. And can not tell how many times the ones near the ocean have to evacuations yet they live their anyway and clean up when flooded out. We are suppose to get hit with a foot today...will see??? possible it may not hit. For a long time I drove a 4 by 4 truck awesome in water covered roads....but today will not even try it. Flash flood here means sides of mountains...sliding down into the main road, with trees, mud and rocks bigger then cars... had a neighbor who cut his trees and dead ones they went sliding into the road lost a good bit of his yard right down on the main road...took them days to clean it out. And the city was screaming out him to stop cutting his trees as they hold the soil on the mountain. You know it is going to be bad when you go outside and there are boulders parked on your road. For me the neighbors floods above me, which will water fall onto my property if my drainage clogs I am in trouble....can not tell you how many times I am out in the storm digging in the mud and branches to open them praying I do not get hit by lightening. Life in hurricane alley on the mountains.

Last storm told the neighbor to get his car off the road, just moved from Texas and young ...he put the warning on ignore....until another neighbor called him and reported, Hey I saw you vehicle moving down the road stuck sideways at Sams house, better get it before it disappears into the ocean. Just shook my head....people.

Comment

waterspout-700x376.jpgGreat day for these guys, always a sight with this this kind of storms coming....never come to land often but they are huge dancing on the ocean. We got that weird calm before the storm happening now. I eating like a pig before the electric goes out ....electric went out yesterday have no reason why, it is so normal here. The dopper radar bright red coming our way with those lightening lines every where? in about six hours. The storm is unpredictable now, it could go anywhere...but NAM says she coming straight toward my house. Me, and the cats are going to have a mellow day of audible books and art . With luck she might head north...we will see. This is nothing compared to the next six weeks when we get high cat hurricanes coming this time of year.

Comment

At least, you won't need to look around and figure out what you did with the snow shovel last spring.
                Top 1,000' got more than just a little dusting in the night. Maybe garden frost tonight.
                Cube ceramic heaters on 1kw just to take the chill off the place.
                Brian T

Comment

That is quite a picture Di, I think I might be satisfied with the no moisture we have here than to face something like this
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Pretty mellow storm got branches to clean up. Only excitement is when a guy got his jeep in his garage destroyed by a boulder coming down the mountain, he thought it was a earthquake. He said it was outrageous loud noise. It hit the top of his second story roof and jumped down right into the garage, and flatten the jeep. Sucker was as big as his jeep. He is lucky it did not come into his house.

Comment

Di, it's good to learn you came through the storm ok. That guy with the jeep is one lucky fellow that the boulder didn't have his number on it.
                      Arthur

Comment

Glad you are good Di. Water spouts come out of the storms on the gulf also. Three storms developing in the Atlantic now. Only one coming into the Caribbean. After that who knows at this point. But the weather service we subscribe to suggest north east Mexico to Louisiana is going to be impacted early next week.
                        Last edited by Randy; 08-24-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I don't care for that prediction, Randy... Can you please subscribe to a different weather service?

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I figure we will see the worst of storms in the next six weeks in both the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans....we been having pacific cyclones turn out one storm after another. So far they turn or fizzle out ...but the hard season is now into to Sept. Worst thing about cyclones time...is I eat to much darn chocolate...comfort food and the rear end starts bouncing.
                            Last edited by DiLeon; 08-25-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                              I don't care for that prediction, Randy... Can you please subscribe to a different weather service?

Claude
                              I will give that some thought Claude. They may say Alabama by the time it hits the gulf and I would not want to hear that. We will have are home generator hooked up Sat. (They say) They said that last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X