No announcement yet.

Good morning everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Di, In my opinion, if you keep at it, you'll get the hang of painting seriously this is just an outstanding painting, well done and a terrific subject matter
    Last edited by Claude; 10-05-2021, 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
      Di, In my opinion, if you keep at it, you'll get the hang of painting seriously this is just an outstanding painting, well done and a traffic subject matter
      I sold my first paintings in my teen age years. Later, I did oil painting professionally a long time, sold even in gallerys. It was also my major in college but I enjoy wood carving more, and feel I am better at it. I did a few very large church painting commissions about five years long ago. These are just fun stuff, plus can not see good enough to make them like I used too.

Comment

Early AM coffee and a warm one. The volcano Kilauea erupted again...four days ago and last night open up a new vent at the base. Warning in the big island of glass in the air and vog. Vog is volcano dust and comparable to smog. The U.S. Geological Survey confirmed the eruption and raised the volcano alert level to “warning” and the aviation code to red. But so far she is safe for massive tourists to flock to the island to see it. I am hopeful we will not have the massive earthquakes we had a few years ago, but it is waiting and see event. volcano.jpg

Comment

It seems to be the year of extreme, hope you are safe!
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Good Morning to everyone. Woke to rain (all night) +3C (38F) but nothing to shovel which is the best sign. Likely 8-12" new snow today up top.

Sure could use a little slice of that volcanic heat. Geothermal is so trendy.

Dileon: which island are you on? I can't remember.
            Brian T

Comment

Good morning everyone....trade winds are blowing which is nice and cooling. I live on Oahu, volcano is 200 miles away and does not affect us unless the wind is coming from the south, then we get vog. The volcano is not an issue unless there is a major earthquake that causes the electric grid to close down for Oahu...last time that happen it took two weeks for the power company to slowly turn it back on. The only thing I worry about is the Hilary fault sliding in the ocean and causing a mega-tsunami. That fault on Hawaii island moves a little each time volcano has a 6 point earthquake sort like the California fault that moves. We do have a fault in the ocean near Honolulu but it is under research so who knows. The only bother is the NOAA radio blasting every time there is an earthquake over a five which is not happening yet. That was going off in the middle of the night every night... the last eruption. We had about 15 quakes over three the last month which could not feel compare that time frame to California's 167 quakes in the 3 point....so we are not dancing yet....

Comment

Beautiful day here in south Louisiana...Three p.m., temp 82 degrees, humidity 53 per cent (downright dry!) ...brilliant blue skies, puffy white clouds...aromas from our huge gardenia and next door banana shrub wafting on a tiny breeze...just enjoyed my afternoon coffee on the deck while my Schnauzer sun bathed on the grass and chased an occasional lizard. Fat cat just rolled over and continued his napping and grooming. Life can be good!
                Arthur

Comment

It's nice to hear everyone finding the positives in their present situation. We had an impressive set of storms least night - thunder, lightning, scattered rain. Today is clear and beautiful - 79 deg.
                  I still can't get motivated to do some carving. I think I'll go sing with my barbershop harmony chorus.

Comment

Still dry in NV
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Autumn is fast approaching here on the east coast of Canada. The temperature was 8°c ( 46°f) when I got up this morning, but not a cloud in the sky nor a breath of wind so it's going to be a beautiful day. The foliage is just starting to turn colour and should be pretty spectacular in another week or two. I will try to remember to get some pictures this year
                      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

It is a nice day in lower Alabama. 67 this am and the rain is moving east, we are looking at good weather for the week ahead. Cool weather is not too far off, the oak nuts are falling all over the walk to the house. I am looking forward to that!
                        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

It is 76 this AM and spot raining....love this temperature. The trees here do not lose their leaves, so miss the fall leaves. But I have trees that have year-round red and orange leaves so that is a plus. I am looking forward to the cool nights and not sweating major while doing things. That being said this is the first growing season here,...time to put in the garden for a first season of veggies. And the lawn grows like crazy in the fall so lots of mowing grass.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                            ~SNIP~
                            I still can't get motivated to do some carving. I think I'll go sing with my barbershop harmony chorus.
                            Phil, I'm in the same boat: Can't get motivated, haven't carved since July...longest dry stretch I've had. I'll sketch something out, look at it...nah!

I'm thinking of just doing some exercises...carve a hand, an eye, maybe some acanthus leaves in different styles, no "project" carvings...maybe just cutting on some wood will prime the pump. I can't even get myself to work on my antique clocks...have one on the bench almost finished being reassembled, but it's sat like that for a couple of months. I'm thinking some cool weather will be stimulating, but then I have "fall chores" to do, LOL, so we'll see! C'est la Vie!
                            Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Phil, I'm in the same boat: Can't get motivated, haven't carved since July...longest dry stretch I've had. I'll sketch something out, look at it...nah!

I'm thinking of just doing some exercises...carve a hand, an eye, maybe some acanthus leaves in different styles, no "project" carvings...maybe just cutting on some wood will prime the pump. I can't even get myself to work on my antique clocks...have one on the bench almost finished being reassembled, but it's sat like that for a couple of months. I'm thinking some cool weather will be stimulating, but then I have "fall chores" to do, LOL, so we'll see! C'est la Vie!
                              It most be going around. A lack of motivatin pandemic ? I have a 1/2 dozon projects in the shop from roughouts to half done and I wave at them as I walk by. It has been a long wet summer in the south. Along with the storm brewing in our county. I will stop there. The changing weather and changing times are hard on old bones and not a positive stimulation. Last night my wife reminded me that my carving has alway been a place to go to get away from those kind of things. She is right,I need to get back in the shop.
                              Last edited by Randy; 10-06-2021, 05:28 PM.
                              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Boy, I'm sure glad I'm making chips, I would probably get the shakes if I weren't
                                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                                X