Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For you Navy Vets and anyone else interested in history about WWII.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For you Navy Vets and anyone else interested in history about WWII.....

Last night I finished reading the historical fiction novel, “TRIAL BY FIRE” by Capt. USN Ret. P.T. Deutermann. It’s the story of the heroic efforts to save the USS FRANKLIN (CV-13) by it’s crew after being hit by enemy bombs and Kamikaze aircraft in the closing days of WWII. Capt. Deutermann’s novel is based on actual historical events and eye witness accounts of what took place during the raging inferno that enveloped nearly all of the ship. It’s a story of heroes and men doing almost unimaginable deeds as well of a recounting of the death and horror that it’s crew experienced. If you aren’t a follower of Capt. Deutermann’s work or haven’t read this novel yet, I strongly recommend it, especially for Navy veterans and active duty personnel.

The chaplain JT O'Callahan wrote about it also. Two members of the crew were give the CMH for their action on that ship. There are many story's of courage by sailors in ww2 that have not really been told. The story"s of the ships tha held off a larger Japanese fleet in Leyte Gulf is another one.

We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
      The chaplain JT O'Callahan wrote about it also. Two members of the crew were give the CMH for their action on that ship. There are many story's of courage by sailors in ww2 that have not really been told. The story"s of the ships tha held off a larger Japanese fleet in Leyte Gulf is another one.
      Randy.... Thanks for the tip. I've put "I Was Chaplain on the Franklin" on my list of books to order from Amazon. Deutermann's novel also touches on the conflict between the crew and the Capt of the Franklin and goes on to explain why the subsequent ship reunions were held by different factions of the crew.

Comment

I've read all of Deutermann's books. He is a great author.
        My daughter got me "Six Frigates" by Ian W. Toll, it about the birth of the U. S. Navy. I highly recommend reading it.
        GO NAVY!!!
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Dog View Post
          I've read all of Deutermann's books. He is a great author.
          My daughter got me "Six Frigates" by Ian W. Toll, it about the birth of the U. S. Navy. I highly recommend reading it.
          GO NAVY!!!
          Dog... Thanks for the referral . I just ordered a used copy off of Amazon.

Comment

Working...
          X