Shopped for a car lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopped for a car lately?

It is crazy out there. My wife and I have 13 &15 yr old cars. We have been thinking of going to one car. We did 6 dealerships ,5 different make looking at small SUV’s type cars. No one had more than 4 or 5 new (21and 22)in a mix of price ranges, mostly high. Two had none. And know one could say when they were getting inventory. Ones that had acres of cars now could not fill the parking lot in front of their showrooms with their inventory. What used cars we looked at were high miles and high priced. Think we may keep what we have. No deals out there.
    Last edited by Randy; 11-05-2021, 12:59 AM.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

I plan to hang onto my 97 GMC Suburban. It gets terrible fuel economy. But for all the driving I need to do 2-3 times a week in this little village, that is not an argument. I have some physical challenge, the 'Burb is easy for me to get in and out of, lots of room for my junk and a tail gate heater. You have not driven in comfort until you drive something with a rear heater. I can even switch control of it to the people riding in the back seat.

Parts inventory is very good and simplistic service, (nothing magical) I can't afford NOT to keep it running. The drive train seems strong enough.

Mine was a private sale. Looked over carefully by the service shop that I have dealt with for 30 years. Costs a few $$$ per vehicle for peace of mind. Needed serious front end 4x4 service and parts so I built that into my budget.

Friend of mine has a new car loaner during a major repair to her truck. She was absolutely wild!
    Took her several minutes to figure out how to get it started and even more time to find the headlight switch.

No thank you.
    Brian T

Comment

We bought my wife a new Explorer early in the pandemic we had been talking about it and decide to go ahead even though at that time we were barely using our cars. We didn’t even put two thousand miles on it that first year. There maybe no deals out there but my guy at the local dealership tells me they expect it to be bad for at least another year. Now with all the older cars staying on the road service appointments are a month out. Crazy times.

We also decided to have our 20 year old HVAC replaced when we heard that such thing were becoming hard to get.

When freezer died last year the only thing we could find in stock for a quick replacement was a scratch and dent.

But the big news I ordered a Rikcon 10-324TG yesterday. Woodcraft in Omaha says they should have it in by the middle of this month. Looking forward to being able to do cutouts with blocks up to 12” thick.

Comment

I've been thinking about a mid size SUV also. And you are right there is nothing out there.
        I have a 2009 Honda Accord with 89,000 miles on it and it's running good (knock on wood) so I guess I might as well keep it.

Comment

Randy, of the recent used cars I've had, the 2008 Dodge Durango and 2014 GMC Acadia were the best (for me) as I can get 4x8' sheet material in the back with the seats folded down.
          and I'm really liking this GMC and if it continues to stay healthy, I'll keep it until it dies.
          I'm already looking at the 2015 GMC Denali as an upgrade if/when they ever hit the market in my price range.
          (my 2nd preference would be the GMC/Chevy Suburban)
          with "physical issues" I need something that is off the ground - with something like a Honda Civic, I would have to have it peeled off of me.
          it's all a matter of choice and comfort.
          Last edited by John Smith; 11-05-2021, 02:34 PM.
          Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

I'm seeing the lack of inventory and have discussed selling my '16 Kia Forte if I can get a good (for me) price out of it. It has about 19k miles on it, a real cream puff. Nothing wrong with it, I can drive our '70 Chevy truck the few miles I do drive, or just drive the wife's car, since she's working from home, now.

Comment

Used-car prices have continued their steady upward climb this year as new-car shortages put increased pressure on the used market. The most recent Consumer Price Index report, from August, shows that prices were up almost 32 percent over a year earlier, and reported prices have crept upward each month this year.
              “We continue to see an upward trend in average used listings prices,”“In October, our average used list price is $31,676, which is up 29 percent compared to a year earlier.” Current used car prices are 42 percent higher than they were in the first quarter of 2020, before the pandemic caused widespread closures and market disruptions. The price increase has helped drive an overall rise in the nation’s inflation rate. As someone said now is not the time to buy a car the prices are insane! ....new and old. Plus people are not buying, and chip shortages. And guess what.... the increase will continue into next year. As I see it cars are becoming unaffordable....unless you think it is ok to drop 31,000 dollars on a used vehicle. If you have extra multi cars then you will make money if you decide to sell right now....demand is high and the car is an asset now. Way I see it, things continue we are going to look like Cuba....driving 30-year-old cars around.

. Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
                We bought my wife a new Explorer early in the pandemic we had been talking about it and decide to go ahead even though at that time we were barely using our cars. We didn’t even put two thousand miles on it that first year. There maybe no deals out there but my guy at the local dealership tells me they expect it to be bad for at least another year. Now with all the older cars staying on the road service appointments are a month out. Crazy times.

We also decided to have our 20 year old HVAC replaced when we heard that such thing were becoming hard to get.

When freezer died last year the only thing we could find in stock for a quick replacement was a scratch and dent.

But the big news I ordered a Rikcon 10-324TG yesterday. Woodcraft in Omaha says they should have it in by the middle of this month. Looking forward to being able to do cutouts with blocks up to 12” thick.
                Ed the Rikcon is a big news! Congratulations. I look forward to what carvings you create with it.

Comment

I live here in Central Kansas in a town of 13,000...one family owns the Dodge/Jeep/Ford/GMC/Chevrolet stores...they have an inventory of JUST 15 new vehicles over all of their lines. The lack of Communist Chinese chips for new cars has really driven up the price of used vehicles.

Finding parts for vehicles AND farm equipment is a real challenge.

In our newspaper this morning, they advertised a 2018 Chevrolet 4X4 for $53,900! That is just crazy...I have a 2003 Ford Supercrew 4X4 that only has 93,000 miles on it...glad I am not having to look for a different truck...

Comment

Randy.... Barring a major accident we plan to be buried in our 2004 F-150. My boy just got a new job where he needs to commute. His old Ford SUV isn't all that reliable so he and his wife went looking at vehicles like you did. He came over to the house that night in complete "sticker shock!" I've been saying for years that our countries' automobile based economic and transportation bubble would sooner or later pop. The foolishness of letting our railroad deteriorate and refusing to invest in fast transit would come back and bite in the @#$! The solution to everything since Eisenhower installed an interstate system is to build more roads; widen more highways. And meanwhile no matter what improvements are made sooner or later they all have to be corrected. Tampa is getting as bad as Atlanta where 8 lanes of traffic is the norm and they still turn into parking lots with one minor vehicle accident or a little inclement weather.

Comment

May have to forget a car. Just came back from the store. 100 dollars more for what we think of as are basic shopping list than just a few month ago! GO BRANDON!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                        May have to forget a car. Just came back from the store. 100 dollars more for what we think of as are basic shopping list than just a few month ago! GO BRANDON!!
                        I do not know about you but everything is major increasing here...housing is beyond insane. Normal average home one million. who in the heck has a million to spend on a house???....waiting for the housing bubble to blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

I do not know about you but everything is major increasing here...housing is beyond insane. Normal average home one million. who in the heck has a million to spend on a house???....waiting for the housing bubble to blow up.
                          OUR POLITICIANS. We pay them well to spend our money.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

OUR POLITICIANS. We pay them well to spend our money.
                            Randy, this came to mind!

Screenshot 2021-11-06 171647.jpg
                            Arthur

Comment

download (3).jpgthis is just about the truth real life in 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X