Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

img_2912.jpg
    Originally posted by Randy View Post

They have had large oil and fuel storage tank around Pearl sense the 30’s when the move the fleet there. God only knows how much has leaked into the underground water in that volcanic soil.
    Have not done a search but it seems to me, the state has fined the government for those tanks many times....the last twenty years. Looks like they broke, question is how long have been leaking diesel into the water? What does a tank do that is 90 years old? Photo from Pearl Harbor what the water looks like with oil floating on top

Ok found one fine $342,000 in Oct of this year. The Red Hill facility holds 20 underground fuel storage tanks near Pearl Harbor, providing the Navy with a crucial fuel reserve in the Pacific.

But the tanks, which date to World War II and are each the equivalent of about 25 stories tall, also sit above an aquifer that supplies a quarter of the water consumed in urban Honolulu.

A 2014 leak from one of the aging tanks generated concerns the facility could contaminate one of Oʻahu’s most important water sources.

Now the question is....has the leak continued the last eight years???? Freakin mess is what I call it. News on-base people is more than angry. One lady reported..She says their dog, Koa, was just diagnosed with petroleum poisoning, and the symptoms for all of her family have been going on for months. “I don’t like it and it makes me feel very uncomfortable because I’ve been showering with oil,” said Simic’s son, 9-year-old Milo. and the Navy is flushing the system...I like to know one thing how does flush oil from a whole water system. I am no chemist but really? Ok we have xylene, naphthalene and TPH-G in the water. a wonderful chemical mixture to be drinking...those poor people..wow what a horror show.

Updated by the hour today. But the city shut down its Halawa shaft because it draws from the same aquifer as the Navy’s Red Hill well. The Halawa shaft typically provides 20% of the water consumed in Honolulu neighborhoods — about 400,000 people. Not counting the bases.

The decision puts stress on other water pumping stations, increasing the risk that salt water might seep into the aquifer. Geez wiz old pipes out here, salt water in the water??? ...what a day I got work major work to do now....get my water before they screw up the whole darn island.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Sounds like the usual issues surrounding water supplies.Same in NZ. Though we are getting better. All run on a shoestring budget with maintenance deferred all over the place with lots of money spent keeping obsolete equipment and equipment no longer fit for purpose going rather than replacing it.

Mostly the towns /cities have all grown more like urban cancer than planned development and existing water resources are stretched to the max to supply the new areas without a lot of expansion in output capability.

One of the biggest issues is old leaking reticulation. It is not unusual for 15-20% of all water produced to be leaking into the ground undetected. Those that are on the ball have leak detection programs in place to reduce this.

That is right up until everything goes bad. Then things tend to get sorted a bit. If they don't have sufficiant fresh water soures to utilise They might have to build a desalination plant but these are really expensive. The other possibility is treating watewater back to drinking water quality. This is done in several countries. Again expensive.

The big issue with large civil works is that it is all put together by people that don't have the ability to think past the next ellection and there lies the problem. WHO ( world health Organization) set standards for water quality that most countries aim to achieve but nobody sets standard for the physical integrity of the treatment systems at a national level that I know of. And if they did most of the smaller rural communities could never afford to achieve the standard. It all gets very difficult.

I was supervisor of watertreatment plants for one of our smaller cities for a few years so got to see the political aspects of it all. Which included the council trying to blackmail me into doing something I didn't feel was right. That was when I told them what they could do with their job and left. Loyalty and dedication meant nothing to them.

Glad you have a plan Di . Take care!!!

Comment

Working...
      X