Patio roof gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio roof gone

We have a major winter storm going on. I am writing basically because the electricity will go out from past history. In the middle of the night the wind blew off the patio roof...it is still dark and something out there is banging major. The news is we have catastrophic flooding happening and so far my land is ok and the rain is not yet that bad. The worst part is we have two or three more days of this weather. As far as I go, sit and hunker down until this is over, a wait and see. I have plan one, plan two, and plan three when things go bad. As long as the legs hold up we will be fine when this is all over.

On top of this we have about half a million people on Oahu who may be exposed the last four months due to the Navy not reporting fuel in our water, this is called by now by the Hawaii state government, "the Navy scandal." Hundreds of people are sick.....on base and off. One source said 600? The government military knew back in July the water tested for fuel and every month after that tested for fuel beyond the safe numbers,... and did not report it. Shows what the government will do to the people, I find all this beyond sad. So far where I live the water is ok, but I do not trust anyone at this point to ever tell us the truth of the whole matter.

When the sun comes up will go out and see what the heck is making all the noise outside,...I think it is just a piece of roof material flapping in the wind.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

I've been keeping track of the Oahu fuel spill on Navy and Military Times. Pure stupidity! Someone was covering their six and it blew up in their face. The bad news is that hundreds of people have been affected and taxpayers will end up covering enormous remediation costs and civil law suits. The good news is that it didn't go on for decades as the toxic contamination at Paris Island did. And someone's six will end up in a grinder over it.

Comment

I really feel for the military families, they are very hysterical right now and I do not blame them, but also..they just closed three Honolulu schools also due to issues with the water. I saw one picture of the water in a large bucket...they major had fuel floating on top of it, it was no little amount as they are reporting. Hard to get the news,....you have to look at major different sources to get the whole news and fill in the blanks. I don't know Eddie this may have been going on a very long time. When you start looking at the fines they have gotten over the years, the real question is did they ever fix it? and finally, did it reach the water table? When I worked the airports for a short time, the state fire dept fined them for their tanks leaking that was what 30 years ago, although I do not remember the whole story of that one. Some are saying this can not be fixed. We will see? I would like to have my water tested (all the way across the island) but honestly....but I do not think they will do it. As I said before there is no way in he** that they can get bottled water for a whole island. They reported on base that some of the pets stop drinking the water about three weeks ago. So I am watching my cats as they are really picky.

Right now the rain has stopped and I got a section of roof that needs to be tied down, hopefully, the weather holds until I can finish that one...LOL hopeful no damage to the house roof but that has to wait until I get up there and look when the storms end. I got stuff in my yard although that is not mine including roof materials, it had to come from people on the mountain higher than me...that wind is stronger than 50 miles an hour.

Comment

Stay safe Di. We have rain coming in today but It will not be that bad. You never really know this time of year here. Dec 2012 we had Tornado bounceing a round Mobile. Christmas day one took out a high school and a mile or so of damged homes.

All most every place that there has been long term a fuel storage in the military there is going to be some kind of issue. There wasn't a lot of thought given to long term consequences in the war. It was get it up and and make it work. Spills, leaks, and overflowes were frequent and went on for years. 60, 70 years later there are problems around a lot of old sites and bases all around the Country. industry and the goverment have egnored warrnings sence the 50's. Now we have to deal with it from sea to shining sea. Sad.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          Stay safe Di. We have rain coming in today but It will not be that bad. You never really know this time of year here. Dec 2012 we had Tornado bounceing a round Mobile. Christmas day one took out a high school and a mile or so of damged homes.

All most every place that there has been long term a fuel storage in the military there is going to be some kind of issue. There wasn't a lot of thought given to long term consequences in the war. It was get it up and and make it work. Spills, leaks, and overflowes were frequent and went on for years. 60, 70 years later there are problems around a lot of old sites and bases all around the Country. industry and the goverment have ignored warrnings sence the 50's. Now we have to deal with it from sea to shining sea. Sad.
          Too late to tie down the flapping roof materials, got a few tie-downs on it before it started raining cats and dogs and lightning. Forget it and pray it holds until the squall stops..LOL.

I agree we live on today's focus and fixes but long-term issues are not even in the book until you got a disaster on your hands. New tech looks wonderful until it crashes, and have to clean up the mess. The bigger worry is the nuclear power plants when you look at the issues in Russia and Japan nuclear power plants, they are still having major issues. The USA has lots of those suckers around, and what happens when they get old, or like they say that one earthquake can take any of them out.

Comment

Sounds like you had better put some rocks in your pockets! There was also snow, this doesn't happen too often, does it? Hope you recover in good shape.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

wow - wishing you all the best and safety your way, Di.
              Old Salts like me and Eddy that served on the older ships know what it's like to have diesel fuel in your drinking water - not good. hope they get that resolved pretty soon.
              Retired Dimensional Graphics Artist (a/k/a Sign Carver)

Comment

• Claude
                Claude commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah - the carrier I was on often had JP-5 (aircraft fuel) smell coming out of the scuttlebutts. You could even smell it in a glass of water in the Wardroom.

Take care Di and several days ago I saw an article about a foot of snow predicted in the mountains. Hunker down and be safe. Think of fallen wood?
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

Comment

There will be snow up around the telescopes, maybe as much as a foot. Of course, that's 14,000 feet. Not exactly for coconuts.

I looked at an international forecast for the Hawaiian islands.
                They are going to get pounded as the worst of it maybe yet to come!
                Brian T

Comment

Wow, stay safe over there! We're not seeing anything in the news here in California about the fuel leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                    There will be snow up around the telescopes, maybe as much as a foot. Of course, that's 14,000 feet. Not exactly for coconuts.

I looked at an international forecast for the Hawaiian islands.
                    They are going to get pounded as the worst of it maybe yet to come!
                    yip....last night we did get pounded with very large thunderstorms that started at 7 pm, they lasted all night nonstop and it still is going. There is a rumor good part of the island has no electricity and we have damaged planes from cargo containers flying like tumbleweeds, damaged cars in mudslides, houses damaged, and flooding and coastal flooding. I figure Honolulu got the worst of it?? I did not sleep much, as the phone and the NOAA radio was blasting emergency warning every few hours all night long.... in my area and others were flooding a good part of the night and to stay off the roads and get your emergency bag out (which is never told to us). So I did get emergency bags out in case of whatever. But will not know the story of what happened last night until mid-day as it is still dark out. I am doing ok, My house doing great with this kind of rain, the shop is dry, the fence is still up...my rain plans worked and so far still got electricity. And snug as a bug in a rug. I do know I have one small fruit tree that tipped out the ground roots and all. Rain will continue to have severe weather today and tonight will start to mellow out.

Comment

We got eight inches in about six hours Monday night, although my area which is mountains is used to heavy rains...it was not affected that much. Honolulu got it big time cars underwater in car garages, businesses, mudslides, and trees flipped over...it is because when they built roads and etc....not too much thought into heavy rains, as they are on the dry side of the island and do not get much rain. I have the normal storm clean up,...put a temporary solution on the patio roof until summer...as they are predicting we are going to get more of these bad winter storms this winter so get prepared. Being arthritic ...this outrageous cooler weather is hard on the bones, we are moving slowly the last few days....LOL

Comment

DiLeon, you may be "moving slowly', but you're still moving! You go girl! But stay safe!

Comment

Going slow is probably the gate that ±90% of us go
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Amen on fronts and old bones Di. It truly a pain in the joints. Glad you came through it fairly well. Cold front bringing heavy rain and wind to us Sat. We are going to be over 80 inch year to date by Sunday. Seem like I have been slowly cleaning up after a storm sense spring. But slow and steady is not bad we have to make time to carve:-)!
                            We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Working...
                            X