Your traditions for the holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your traditions for the holiday

We have people on this forum from around the world. What is your tradition to share with us? Or what do you do for the holidays?

Hawaii traditions center around a major barbeque, where families and friends gather for a big luau cookout of fresh oysters, seasoned meats, and seasonal vegetables. Tons of desserts. You must have four times the food you need as everyone will be dragging home plate lunches which is tradition when you are ready to go home. While families celebrate luaus and picnics on the beach or in their backyards. Those who go to the beaches wear Santa hats and leis to go with their shorts and bikinis.

In the evening Christmas carols are sung in Hawaiian and various languages as we are multi-cultured and accompanied by ukulele or guitar band which is featured in a neighbors garage and you drag your lawn chair into the areas and sit and enjoy the music.

The Christmas traditions of Hawaii are a labor of love and creativity. We import our Xmas trees long before the season arrives from across the Pacific Ocean, which arrives on the Xmas Tree Ship. They look for the best grand firs, noble, and other popular varieties of fir or pine.
    Locals create Xmas trees by decorating the Palm trees for outdoor displays and we often substitute Santa Claus’s sleigh and reindeer with an outrigger canoe and dolphins. We provide the elves with aloha shirts.

Last night the locals love the spectacular and the noise,.... they put up thousands of lights and decorations on their vehicles and parade them through the streets, horns blaring for hours and people flock the sidewalks to watch them go by. Which always piss off the local witch...who complains loudly about the noise to the police and newspapers.

Wishing you a great holiday....to a great bunch of people on this forum!! Di
    Last edited by DiLeon; 12-20-2021, 11:10 AM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Sounds like a fine tradition Dileon, Many of our friends think us mad for buying a home in the neighborhood with all the young families. We like the sounds of life and living there is always music playing in our home. Viva the celebration!

Comment

Hi Di, our Christmas celebration is more Low Key than yours but still Enjoyable . We have Turkey,& Ham with all the Fixens Dinner ,then after everything is all cleaned up we go to Living Room to Exchange Gifts. Great watching all the Great Grand Kids open their Gifts. I still like to play with the Toys they get. the only thing with the new Teck. Toys they need to show me how to do them . Then the same as you the Food is put in Containers to be taken Home and enjoyed for the rest of the Week . This time of the Year is always enjoyed around here and hope it is for Everyone here . Merry Christmas . Merle

Comment

Our Christmas celebrations have been your basic traditional type. We are an American blended Family. Several sets of parents and grandparents. As the local great Grandparents we are the Christmas breakfast. Coffee breakfast table full of food and the tree for those in town. Then it is much like a starburst! They all go in different directions. All followed by dishwashing and a nap.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I had to start my own traditions when I started a family. After all these decades,
          it's still just a few savory foodie treats. I make curried roasted pecans or walnuts.
          Sausage rolls from scratch. We used to eat seasonal fruit like prickly pears and kumquat
          but I haven't seen them in the stores for years now.

Main course is string chickens (string-tied thighs with cores of dressing) and more cranberry jelly than you can possibly eat (on tomorrows buckwheat pancakes.)
          More often than not, I like to celebrate a little on the winter solstice, which is tomorrow.

Nobody is moving, nobody travelling, dreadfully cold anyway, too risky at -27C.

WCI has been a core social place for me over the years.
          Lots of very nice and talented people here that I appreciate very much.
          For whatever this year end brings you all, I hope it includes some health and happiness.
          Goodness only knows we all could use it. I miss Heidi-cat.
          Brian T

Comment

We're so old and decrepit, along with the presence of COVID, that traditions have long since gone by the wayside. The house used to vibrate with the wonderful sound of children, the laugh of family, the gaiety of Christmas music and the wonderful smells of Christmas cooking. Now there's just the wife and I to celebrate another year of being together, being alive , and have lived such wonderful lives. Merry Christmas One and All!

Comment

Hi Eddy, these Now Days will be the Old Days, Enjoy the Old Days Now . Merry Christmas to you and your Wife . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                We're so old and decrepit, along with the presence of COVID, that traditions have long since gone by the wayside. The house used to vibrate with the wonderful sound of children, the laugh of family, the gaiety of Christmas music and the wonderful smells of Christmas cooking. Now there's just the wife and I to celebrate another year of being together, being alive , and have lived such wonderful lives. Merry Christmas One and All!
                I hear you Ed.... Looks like we are going to start shutting down we have a super-fast straight-to-moon increase in Delta covid this week...so here we go,.... again. Hospitals getting ready for the grand slam,... again. What gets me is they open up and every time,...they act shocked when it happens all over again? We have just canceled both the holidays...the whole family is going to stay home safe and sound and enjoy relaxing cozy holidays in front of the tv. Plus looks like another winter storm may be heading our way...so... the cats and I will be doing it again, alone and I bought a bunch of movies to stream ...we are hitting the hot Carmel popcorn, a warm blanket, and taking it easy, and pig out on snacks. LmTN01K.jpg

. Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Well, when my brother and I were younger my parents decided that instead of spending lots of money on presents they would spend the money on trips and adventures. We went to Disney, on cruises, got SCUBA certified, gone swimming with Manatees and dolphins, went skiing and snowboarding several times and several other large family trips. I actually preferred those trips to presents.

Now, my brother and I are grown and he has his own family and is in the military to nowhere near any of us. Now, my mom, gramma and I usually have a few presents together and play games and enjoy each others' company. We have done a few trips as a family since moving out of the house but I do miss the trips. Now though, my brother has a daughter and Christmas is fun again from the perspective of a little kid in the family.

With Covid this year, it will just be my mom and I.....and likely we will go the beach and she will probably try to spend my money somewhere (like a plant nursery for plants that I just can't walk away from....i love gardening too)

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                    Hi Eddy, these Now Days will be the Old Days, Enjoy the Old Days Now . Merry Christmas to you and your Wife . Merle
                    Thank You Merle! Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post

I hear you Ed.... Looks like we are going to start shutting down we have a super-fast straight-to-moon increase in Delta covid this week...so here we go,.... again. Hospitals getting ready for the grand slam,... again. What gets me is they open up and every time,...they act shocked when it happens all over again? We have just canceled both the holidays...the whole family is going to stay home safe and sound and enjoy relaxing cozy holidays in front of the tv. Plus looks like another winter storm may be heading our way...so... the cats and I will be doing it again, alone and I bought a bunch of movies to stream ...we are hitting the hot Carmel popcorn, a warm blanket, and taking it easy, and pig out on snacks. LmTN01K.jpg
                      Stay safe Di! Have a great day!
                      christmas-emoticon-thumb-260nw-65271628.jpg

Comment

We started a new one in my wife's family. About the time our two sons were 8 and 6, we took them skiing. The following winter, we asked them to decide whether they wanted lots of presents or a week skiing. They wanted to go skiing. We did that as a family for the next 12 years or so. They would each get a token present, but the rest of Christmas for them was skiing. We usually went to June Lake, CA or Mammoth, CA.

This year, we are meeting our oldest granddaughter, her husband, and our first great-grandson for Christmas week over on Hilton Head Island, SC

Claude
                        Last edited by Claude; 12-23-2021, 05:06 PM.
                        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

We host for Thanksgiving, so Christmas is at my sister-in-law’s. All I have to do is wrap gifts and bake a cinnamon coffee cake.

My hubby and I will enjoy a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner and we each open one gift. Christmas morning we’re like little kids, opening the rest of our gifts while still in our pajamas. No grandkids yet… but I will get to see my 34-year-old stepson, which will be a blessing (he’s been a part of my life since he was 5). We will eat too much food and too much dessert, nap, and then probably repeat. The Christmas Story will be on TV all day so you never miss much.

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy, and wealthy holiday season! Dana
                          My Website: www.carvingjunkies.com
                          Instagram
                          : https://www.instagram.com/carvingjunkies/
                          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carvingjunkies/

Comment

Working...
                          X