Winter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter...

Looks like Winter has finally hit Louisiana. New Year's day had a high of 83°F and a low of 71°F; The high today was that same 71°F and the low tonight is predicted at 30°F and a hard wind blowing "Gale Warnings". Guess I need to go fix a cup of hot chocolate and spike it with some Kahlua...

Claude
    Claude
    Super Mod Louisiana
    Last edited by Claude; 01-02-2022, 05:44 PM.
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

-3 last night not feeling to bad for you. Take care Claude.

Comment

We have risen from -20F to a tropical 20F today with a very chilly south wind.
      The arctic cold is forecast to return Tuesday.

My shop is running about 55F, I have a 1.5kw electric heater in there that takes the edge off it.
      Brian T

Comment

it is 67 inside the house and outside, and it has been pouring rain and thunderstorms for the last four days, one more day tomorrow. One storm after another is hitting....and this is the beginning of winter so ... might as well get used to it. Flash flood warnings come and go all day. The air is so thick with moisture you could cut it with a knife.
        . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

We had 17 degrees this morning in Central Texas...no precipitation though. Will be warming up in the next few days.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Claude same over here in Mobile. A 50 degree swing in a day will get your attention where ever you live. Burrrrrrrrrrrr.,
            Randy
            Last edited by Randy; 01-02-2022, 10:59 PM.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Boy Claude sounds like a late autumn day here NW Nevada
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                Boy Claude sounds like a late autumn day here NW Nevada
                You should watch the tornado chasers out the last few weeks, it is massive...., I hobby meteorology follow these guys, ...you think it was summer. Every day they are chasing tornados. The weather this winter....yikes.... it's Jan. A combination of hot fronts hitting....polar cold is not a good mix.

Comment

We are getting extremely high winds in this part of the world and if the wind does not blow it gets below zero at night
                  Herb

Comment

Last 2.5 months here in east central WA. hasn't got above 32degs more than twice. and the lowest so far -15. snowing all week but freeze drying off most. Shop mmmnnnn nice at 68~.
                    Take care all and pray for the ones in Colo that lost their homes to fires then 2' snow .
                    Chuck
                    Chuck
                    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Well now, I'm in Louisiana, so this week we've had temps vary 50 degrees over night...got too cold for Southerners' thin blood. However, today in South Louisiana it's 69 degrees at noon...and gee, lucky me, I got to go 4 days into the new year until I had to mow the back lawn!
                      Arthur

Comment

Been rainy for the last month and in the seventies for the most part. In my shop, I am back to carving the monster blood-sucking mosquitos were out in numbers so I am going to have to put the mosquito coils out plus let the big industrial fans suck them up and chop and dice....I remember the fans are cold so I have to wear heavy clothes in the wintertime. Today is set up shop and find my notes on where I was last a year ago and what is the plan for the carving. I am hoping the rain holds off and drys things up....as my grass out the front road has to be at least a foot deep, it grows fast at this temperature and rain. Yard work is a year-round thing and more so this time of year due to the rains. I am pulling up weed trees, tree-killing vines, and the works. The neighbor drops off two truckloads of wood chips so those go into all the gardens and it helps keep down weeds.

Comment

-25C (-10F) again yesterday. By some miracle, we got enough juice past the dead battery to get the Burb up and running. Synthetic jet turbine oil lube is wonderful. Got a new $210.00 battery on warranty, no less. Delightful Christmas prezzie. Supposed to warm up a lot and stay up in less than a week.

I'm getting some satisfaction again from carving. Finished a new crooked knife and finished a carving. Starting on another. Still little motivation to work on the carvings already on the bench.

Got a "new" old (15?) cat for a sleepover. Rescue. Living under an unheated shed at 20 below, out behind a gas station. Trapped and cleaned up, I wanted another cat companion after Heidi-cat died.
                          If this one ("Rumpuss") ever comes out from under my bed, I'll take pictures of my new employee.
                          I think this one is going to work out.
                          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                            -25C (-10F) again yesterday. By some miracle, we got enough juice past the dead battery to get the Burb up and running. Synthetic jet turbine oil lube is wonderful. Got a new $210.00 battery on warranty, no less. Delightful Christmas prezzie. Supposed to warm up a lot and stay up in less than a week.

I'm getting some satisfaction again from carving. Finished a new crooked knife and finished a carving. Starting on another. Still little motivation to work on the carvings already on the bench.

Got a "new" old (15?) cat for a sleepover. Rescue. Living under an unheated shed at 20 below, out behind a gas station. Trapped and cleaned up, I wanted another cat companion after Heidi-cat died.
                            If this one ("Rumpuss") ever comes out from under my bed, I'll take pictures of my new employee.
                            I think this one is going to work out.
                            Brian T..
                            I wood like to see both your new employee( Rumpuss) ha and that new crooked knife if you will. Be a waitin.

Central Washington
                            .WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 10
                            and 18 inches.

* WHERE...Leavenworth, Number 1 Canyon, Waterville, ( SON LIVES HERE!) already 20" snow rolled Jeep and recovered. Badger Mountain
                            Road, Cashmere, Mansfield, Plain, Pangborn Airport, Chelan, Number
                            2 Canyon, Entiat, and Wenatchee.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM PST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are expected
                            overnight. The Thursday morning commute will be significantly
                            impacted by this storm.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This storm has the potential to be the
                            biggest storm since 1996 for the Wenatchee area.
                            Expires in 18 hr.
                            1 hour ago • Source: National Weather Service

Ours just keeps dumping here east of Waterville 100 miles/65 km

Chuck
                            Chuck
                            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

My D2 and her family live in the Vancouver area. They have been hit but good this past month.
                              But, she's no stranger to very cold winters as a kid. Hubby from the high country of snows in Britain.
                              It slumps pretty quick as it metamorphoses, not even knee deep in my front yard any more,6" in the spruce trees.

Be glad to get pix of both the knife (90* bent tip from Jamie Sharp) and the cat. One Tlingit halibut hook is done and I'm well into #2. Next thing is to cut out handles for a Kestrel Sitka elbow adze blade. I'll prune the hand grip area down to 7/8" to fit my hands.
                              Brian T

Comment

Working...
                              X