Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami

Tsunami A #Tsunami Advisory means: a dangerous wave is on the way. Strong and unusual currents are expected along the coast, and in bays, marinas, and harbors. Move to high ground and away from the shore. !!!!! as the NOAA radio went off last night. So the wait begins unless it is changed to warning....my house sits on the edge of evacuation mapping. So it grabs the emergency bags to run up the mountain time again time. This one is an underground volcano in the Tonga area... had an earthquake super normal for volcanos, These volcano coming to the surface are most dangerous for a major tsunami. New Zealand, Australia plus the rest of the pacific is on alert. It did hit the one island in Tonga but not a big tsunami. Watch this impressive video of this volcano blowing in the ocean.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 01-15-2022, 11:35 AM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Glad you are safe has to be a bit disconcerting. We’ve been know to head for Arizona or Texas when they forecast a blizzard for our area. Bit different than running up the hill.

Stay Safe

Comment

Stay safe Dileon,... I wouldn't trade places with you for anything, and we are just coming out of a major blizzard up here. A foot and a half of snow, 50-60 mph wind and - 15°c, and no electricity for the past 12 hours. Still better than tsunami, volcanoes and earthquakes in my opinion
      Wayne
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Glad you are safe Di. I was in LA in spring of 1960 when a Tsunami from a earth quake in Chile shook up things from the US west coast to Japan. There was a lot of damage in LA harbor. Had a freind with a 40ft Newporter ketch that was damage from it. Mother Nature will have her way.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
          Glad you are safe has to be a bit disconcerting. We’ve been know to head for Arizona or Texas when they forecast a blizzard for our area. Bit different than running up the hill.

Stay Safe
          It is a matter of timing...if you feel an earthquake it could be a volcano like this one, but you do not know. Always grab your ready bags and run higher than four stories. I live at the bottom of a mountain....my house sits four stories above sea level. If it is the big island volcano/earthquake ?? I got ten to fifteen minutes to jump in the car and head up the mountain. But I know one thing never trust their measurements, I am not going to sit in my house and watch any tsunami run over my neighbors right below me. Japan that tsunami went one hundred and ten feet above sea level in some areas, all those people killed where major told that they were safe areas. If tsunamis travel across the ocean, we got hours to get ready to run....smile, and then the tsunami sirens will warn you to leave...which mind you malfunction often. I have sat on top of the mountain about five times....when they told us to leave and evacuation.... you sit there for hours and hours. one time was about seven hours before they canceled (which they all did because they were only a few feet high)....because they know one is coming but impossible to tell how big it is and noted which wave is the biggest which can be the third or fourth wave which can come hours apart. Neighbors on the mountain come out with their lawn chairs and chat.. bring snacks and water. Which I have but it is part of living along the coast...tsunami. One bad thing is almost all our cities sit at sea level it would be a major disaster if a big one ever hit. The wait is the pain in the rear end part...and will it hit us comparable to the tornado warnings in your area? Sitting on the mountain waiting for the waves to hit ...you wonder will it wipe out my home? Life in Hawaii...has many issues. War with the federal on fuel in the water do not want to remove their broken fuel tanks...because China destroyers in the pacific was another heads up. It is always something...seems like.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
            Stay safe Dileon,... I wouldn't trade places with you for anything, and we are just coming out of a major blizzard up here. A foot and a half of snow, 50-60 mph wind and - 15°c, and no electricity for the past 12 hours. Still better than tsunami, volcanoes and earthquakes in my opinion
            Wayne
            with my arthritis, I would die over there...I will deal with the tsunamis....LOL

Comment

Hi Di, always thought Hawaii was a Paradise to be. You sure are going thru some Unpleasant Times to say the least . Stay Safe our Prayers are with you . Merle

Comment

For anyone interested I live near the bottom of this mountain. See my mountain ...we run out the door and up, in a tsunami warning. Winter storms of two inches of each hour hit my mountain and we have a waterfall that comes down our road and at times through my neighbor's yard onto my property. Plus wind hits this side and people lose roofs and we have landsides in wet weather and roads close often due to massive rains pouring down the mountain. See that dark green area on the left that is a valley where all the meth heads live.....that I am always complaining about. LOL images (3).jpg
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DiLeon; 01-15-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Updating.....some news says we are flooding....we are not at this time. as reported in California.
                  Frightened Tongans fled to higher ground as the eruption triggered a tsunami in the island nation

San Francisco news:
                  Tsunami warnings were issued Saturday for the entire US West Coast after a massive volcanic eruption across the Pacific Ocean in Tonga, with tsunami waves triggering low-level flooding in Hawaii.

The US National Weather Service issued tsunami advisories from the bottom of California to the tip of Alaska's Aleutian islands, predicting waves of up to two feet (60 centimetres), strong rip currents and coastal flooding.

"Move off the beach and out of harbors and marinas in these areas," it advised.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said "a tsunami is currently being observed" in Hawaii, but said there was "no reported damage and only minor flooding throughout the islands."

I will repeat we are not flooding this is false news....I hate these kinds of news reports because I am going to get a massive of phones calls wanting to know if I am alright.
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 01-15-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

There's a tsunami alert for the west coast of British Columbia but if anything had hit, we would have heard about it by now. I guess with a volcanic eruption, the threat is ongoing.

My kids are no more than a couple of miles from tidewater on a river delta of very low elevation.
                    Nothing in front of them all the way to Tonga, as far as I know.
                    Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                      There's a tsunami alert for the west coast of British Columbia but if anything had hit, we would have heard about it by now. I guess with a volcanic eruption, the threat is ongoing.

My kids are no more than a couple of miles from tidewater on a river delta of very low elevation.
                      Nothing in front of them all the way to Tonga, as far as I know.
                      There is a parade of waves....sometime they can take hours between one tsunami wave to the next wave...that is why it is taking so long. First wave is not the big one at times often it is the third or fourth one. It just hit us...first wave about one foot so far??? but here is the latest, does not appear to gotten to the west coast yet?HICHIJIMA JP 27.1N 142.2E 1344Z 0.74M / 2.4FT 14MIN
                      VODOPADNAYA RU 51.7N 158.0E 1434Z 0.45M / 1.5FT 12MIN
                      KUSHIRO JP 43.0N 144.4E 1411Z 0.40M / 1.3FT 42MIN
                      TOSASHIMIZU SHIKOKU 32.8N 133.0E 1537Z 0.93M / 3.0FT 30MIN
                      OMAEZAKI HONSHU JP 34.6N 138.2E 1526Z 0.71M / 2.3FT 22MIN
                      EASTER CL 27.2S 109.4W 1530Z 0.32M / 1.0FT 04MIN
                      DART 46403 52.7N 156.8W 1431Z 0.06M / 0.2FT 14MIN
                      DART 46409 55.3N 148.6W 1520Z 0.04M / 0.1FT 14MIN
                      DUTCH HBR UNALASKA 53.9N 166.5W 1452Z 0.09M / 0.3FT 36MIN
                      KING COVE AK 55.1N 162.3W 1449Z 0.32M / 1.1FT 16MIN
                      ATKA AK 52.2N 174.2W 1358Z 0.22M / 0.7FT 20MIN
                      NIKOLSKI AK 52.9N 168.9W 1528Z 0.36M / 1.2FT 12MIN
                      LIHOU REEF AU 17.1S 152.1E 1241Z 0.12M / 0.4FT 14

biggest wave is four feet so far in this parade of list going on. So she is a small waves coming in ...unless you live on the beach nothing to worry about so far.
                      Last edited by DiLeon; 01-15-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

We just canceled, I am seeing we got boats on docks reported by various mainland new stations, which is not being reported here on our news in fact Honolulu reported they got a six-inch tsunami wave. LA closed their beaches on this one. the Maui County Emergency Management Agency said this morning that the waves lifted a boat from its moorings in Manele Harbor, Lanai, and washed debris ashore in Hana, closing a road near Hamoa Beach Park they had a three foot wave.
                        Last edited by DiLeon; 01-15-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Well, better safe than sorry. Advice here on the coast is to stay away from the waterfront.
                          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                            Well, better safe than sorry. Advice here on the coast is to stay away from the waterfront.
                            We have reports of the surfer crazys out on the waves....people have no understanding they do not know the size of the waves until they hit the shore.

Comment

Some education about the tsunami that I would say about 95 percent of people do not know. But if you ever take a beach vacation especially in the pacific you should know. Sometimes there is a major warning of a tsunami coming the water will drain off a beach or out of a river. Hawaii had that happen here one tsunami, the water drain enough to leave the major area of beach showing and fish flapping on the sand. A few classrooms of children at a school saw this and went running out to the beach to see the whole wonder....those children were killed when the tsunami hit. This photo shows the same thing, this is Thailand before the tsunami hit...they were killed also...they had not a clue oceans do not leave the beach bare. Notice there is no gaint wall of water shown in the pictures but a white line in the ocean. drawback-phuket-2004.jpg

A tsunami wave is not always a typical wave and it sure does not look like the movies and most photos which people remark it does not look like the giant waves they show. A typical wave is a small dark wall of water as tsunami ride the bottom of the ocean they are dirty, if you see it run like the wind. The water in Japan's major tsunami was a black wall as they were expecting to see a Hollywood wave. They will not break on the beach they will push hard onto the land like a bathtub filling up with water....will rise super fast. The wave may go back out but the next waves can be tons worst. This wall of water will push old water onto land and often uphill into valleys. Never go or stay on the beach during any kind of tsunami watch, advisory because you can not see it until it is covering you with water and junk it picks up. The worst part is a tsunami will come on to land and then drain...everyone thinks it is over and will go out to see the damage or go home....this is how tons of people are killed because an hour later the next so-called wave comes it and it is thousand times worst. I think in Japan it was the fourth wall wave that did it. I know lots of people here do not even know these basic facts.
                              Last ever on the beach and there is an earthquake, run for the hills. Earthquakes and oceans can mean tsunami. Earthquake and then volcano in the ocean can mean danger for the whole pacific....like today. We are lucky it was hardly anything. These guys in this photo do not have a chance. See the dirty water ...tsunami is coming warnings.......................................... ......... original.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X