Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring? Winter? Will Mother Nature Please Make Up Her Mind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring? Winter? Will Mother Nature Please Make Up Her Mind!

Anyone that denies climate change has been smoking too much wacky weed! What a crazy winter/spring. 86 degrees one day, 69 degrees the next. Now these temps might not be bad north of the Mason Dixon but they're crazy for us southern boys and girls. Last night the temperature dropped down to the point where even my hot blooded wife had to get up in the middle of the night and turn the heat on. And I think it was only the second night since last November that I crawled underneath the blankets instead of sleeping on top. Our heat of the summer hades will soon be upon us and these days of crazy highs and lows will soon be fond memories but it still makes one wonder what is Mother Nature thinking?....

Eary AM coffee and planning a daily to-do list. Yes, the weather is different, may have to shade gardens from high UV sun plus drought warning....means saving that rainwater. Rising air and ocean temperatures, shifting rainfall patterns, rising sea levels, and changing ocean chemistry will affect people and ecosystems in Hawaii. flooding and erosion, damaging coastal ecosystems, infrastructure, and agriculture issues are very visible. Plus the rats and African snails big as your fist....love the changes causing more problems.

But the worst issue is raising its ugly head. My dad grew up poor and taught me when a child how to work hard in the gardens and more....today all that training is paying off. All my plans to carve and other things have fallen back to stand-by mode... to more major demands. Gas is going to hit six dollars and prices in the stores this week have seen a double increase price in food in some areas, enough to make my mouth drop to the floor. Making some foods now... becoming unaffordable. And they warning that it is going to get a lot worst as also I read an international newspaper that it is becoming a world issue.

So a new Plan B is in action. My energy is getting the homestead in full rocking movement or I am not going to make it. The hard work, has my bones exhausted. Major cutting brush and trees for next year's gardens composting and making new garden boxes. Gardens have to be raised due to much water in the ground, but ... back-breaking work. I come in the house lay in front of the fan and tv and complain about getting old...LOL. Plus getting lumber (also outrageous in price )and leftover cement blocks from the neighbors who are remodeling means its free just get it off my property.... materials for the garden boxes but, it is hauling the lumber down the mountain AND making sure I do not break any bones on the way down its best is at a snail's pace. Try to talk myself into the fact that it is super good for the health, sunshine, and exercise.
    It is hot humid weather here, so worry about heat exhaustion...so have to sit in front of the fan and drink lots of apple cider vinegar often these last few weeks. Tons of plans need to be made now, a heated ocean means hurricanes this summer perhaps?
    Are you having major inflation? I got the major wake-up call going to the grocery shopping this week...looks like we are heading into a depression if these price increases do not stop. Here we have no shortage they mark the prices up until they are unaffordable to only the very rich.f5a18d026854d205c89a3a0ab28fe516.jpg
    Last edited by DiLeon; 04-10-2022, 12:48 PM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Hi Di, you are one Busy Woman . Drinking to much of that Apple Cider Vinegar could get you Pickled . Ha,Ha. Easy does it. Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
        Hi Di, you are one Busy Woman . Drinking to much of that Apple Cider Vinegar could get you Pickled . Ha,Ha. Easy does it. Merle
        I read in the old days farmers drank it reported it to help a lot with working in the heat. So I tried, it does help when you are sweating buckets of water. A modern adaptation of period recipes for plain switchel or haymaker's punch consists of ½ cup each of cider vinegar and a sweetener, and seven cups of water. No worry I am already pickled....LOLfbf5c81d958618da4fd2020259d905aeb1a87185.jpg

Comment

Eddy< reporting to all storm chasers the meteorologists are jumping about the next four days in a good part of USA. Everyone stay safe. As reported by top meteorologists,....Upcoming Parade Of Huge Storms, Nocturnal Tornadoes, Gorilla Hail, and a Blizzard All At Once plus a Fire … Looking like we are getting waves of bad weather.

Comment

Hi Di
            Don't overdo it and self destruct. You are one tough gal but still a mere mortal not wonder woman. Hope all your hard work plans work out ok for you and things get sorted.

In NZ we are still running around in shorts and T shirts. It should be getting cold enough for frosts around about this time. Might be heading for another mild winter.

Comment

Hi Di, I'm a Believer in Apple Cider Vinegar being good for you, so I'll try your Recipe when it gets Hot. Thanks Merle

Comment

in Sparks. NV~ yesterday a high of 78° today 59° ?????????
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Toasty here but bearable. I was raised with no fan or AC, so not much of a problem..,
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Grew up in the Texas panhandle. If you did not like the weather this time of year wait a few hours. I have seen a dust storm in the morning ,rain at lunch sun in the afternood and snow before midnight. Climate has changed over and over again sence the earth was formed. It will contenue long after we have gone the way of the dinosaurs. I not sure man kind can do much to effect it one way or the other. If it even had the willingness to do try and it would seem most of the world does not.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
                      Eddy< reporting to all storm chasers the meteorologists are jumping about the next four days in a good part of USA. Everyone stay safe. As reported by top meteorologists,....Upcoming Parade Of Huge Storms, Nocturnal Tornadoes, Gorilla Hail, and a Blizzard All At Once plus a Fire … Looking like we are getting waves of bad weather.
                      Di! I feel your pain. I read the other day that the average price of a home in Hawaii was 1.2 Million. We're not quite there yet although I live in a neighborhood where the homes sold for $10,000 in the 1960's and are now going for close to 1/2 million dollars. As for groceries we buy less and eat even fewer. My wife has always been a from scratch cook so fortunately our food bill is less than for those who buy prepared.

If I was able we still have our raised bed garden. We kept it going for over twenty-years and it served us well. Unfortunately neither my wife or I have the strength and energy anymore to raise our own food. But once upon a time we had more than 40-feet of raised growing space.

Broccoli, Kale and Cabbage 11-9-13.jpg Califlower and Spinach 11-9-13.jpg

Comment

Here on Friday morning it was 13 degrees and by 2 pm it got to 68 With some high winds
                        Herb

Comment

If I had to do it all over, I would have built a house made for the climate rather than for myself. It would be fortified for 200-mile hour winds and extreme rains. It would last for 200 or 300 years rather than 40 years in the rainforest. Our homes when it comes to climate are the same as living in a tent as they are super temporary as far as dealing with the elements. As you watch hurricanes and storms tear them to the ground over and over and over again. You do not build near an ocean, a swampland, in the middle of flood zones, or earthquake cracks. You learn from history what not to do. This throw-away world we live in today is dangerous and we are seeing the effects of it major today.

Comment

I live in Kansas, weatherwise it is much like Randy said....."just wait 5 minutes".
                            This is the "nervous" time of year here. Lots of thunderstorms, all too many of which produce tornados.
                            Eye to the sky and fresh batteries in the weather radios.

Comment

Yup, I am happy that my dad taught me how to garden and instilled a love for growing plants. I paid $4 for one head of iceberg lettuce. RIDICULOUS!!!! My garden is doing well and I look forward to when it is producing rather than just looking pretty.

Now, if only I can get a nuisance permit for the deer eating my vegetables, I won't have to worry about meat for a while....

Comment

Working...
                              X