Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
    https://www.ipl.org/essay/Dust-Storm...30-PCDYB8BZDAM

Here is a history note.. And as always they can blame todays on yesterday.
    Chuck
    Chuck,
    There are still farm implements buried in fencerows in Western Kansas from the 30's dust storms. The one in particular I have seen is about 12" of the handle sticking up that raised and lowered the implement in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post

Mr. Bright...I am in Central Kansas in Great Bend...we had 90 mph straight line winds on Friday evening with a dust storm that lasted for about 30 minutes. Saturday, my wife and I were out and about and saw several of the road ditches drifted over with top soil.

Andover must be a tornado magnet...I remember the one that destroyed a part of that town in 1991...

We have had more wind here in the last 5 months that I can remember in my 60 years of life.

Got more chances of nasty weather through today and tomorrow.
      Hi Tbox,
      Indeed, shaping up to be an exciting afternoon. Expected to start here around 4 this afternoon.
      It has been exceptionally windy the last few months.

Comment

A lot of damage taking place with that tornado. Stay safe everybody!!!! Glad we don't get big ones like that.

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post

Chuck,
          There are still farm implements buried in fencerows in Western Kansas from the 30's dust storms. The one in particular I have seen is about 12" of the handle sticking up that raised and lowered the implement in the ground.
          I can believe that for sure.
          C
          Chuck
          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

There is little except a solid steel reinforced concrete building that can sustain an F-5 tornado or a Cat5+ hurricane but we as humans need to start thinking smarter in the construction of our homes and businesses. Since 1993 and Hurricane Andrew Florida has made changes to it's building codes almost every year even when the National Building Code may not have recognized the need for those changes. Because of our topography Floridians still can not have basements but many newer homes are installing saferooms as well as instituting the new requirements for steel tie-downs, straps and hangers, and other miscellaneous connectors for wood and block construction. About 11-years ago when I was still spending time at my place in Tennessee I observed the building of a $50-75,000 log cabin home not too far from my own cabin. Seriously, it reminded me of a kid building with Lincoln Logs. The base plate in no way was attached to the block foundation and very few of the blocks had been filled themselves. The only thing holding the entire structure together was the 10" long steel structural screws. Additionally, those of us who have been members of this forum for a long time may remember a fellow carver who built a home in N.C. He posted photos as he progressed and I followed them with interest because he too had very little in the way of tie-downs. In short, the only way the amount of damage from these catastrophic events can be minimized is to build them as if they are to last forever, using all the technical research and knowledge available in doing so.

Comment

Working...
            X