For other computer illiterates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For other computer illiterates

I am always amazed when I realize how computer illiterate I am. For a number of years, I have gone to a mirror to take a photograph of a pattern to have both left and right profiles. It has worked well but today my wife saw what I was doing and took me by the hand over to our computer. She had me open Microsoft 10, a file with my patterns and click on a photo, then click on edit and there on the right is a button that says “flip” I clicked and I had a mirror image. Hit save copy and I was set. I am not sure how many years I have look at that button thinking it was like rotate. I am old and so is that excuse. Oh well I learned something useful today, that’s a plus.
    Flip 1.jpg
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Well! At least you're computer savvy enough to have been able to follow your wife's suggestions. In our house we have the opposite problem. My wife even refuses to scroll a screen when I have to look up something for her.

Comment

Hi, Randy, I have that problem also. I use Picasa but don't have that Button . When I want a Pattern Flipped I give it to my Daughter to do it for me . Merle

Comment

For left/right symmetry drawings, I tape the master to the glass balcony door and trace on another sheet. Flip the master over, trace again and I have both halves. That works well for just about any size. Biggest I need is "banquet roll" paper that comes 100' long x 36" wide
        Brian T

Comment

Brian T, I like that idea of window copying.. Thanks for that one.

Now for large paper,, Publishers Paper used to have rolls 3000 ft and 6' wide. FYI But disadvantage weighs 4200 pounds.
          Just saying, .. I usaed to drive truck and hauled these things to a large prining company in CAL.
          Cheers
          Chuck
          Chuck
          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
            I am always amazed when I realize how computer illiterate I am. For a number of years, I have gone to a mirror to take a photograph of a pattern to have both left and right profiles. It has worked well but today my wife saw what I was doing and took me by the hand over to our computer. She had me open Microsoft 10, a file with my patterns and click on a photo, then click on edit and there on the right is a button that says “flip” I clicked and I had a mirror image. Hit save copy and I was set. I am not sure how many years I have look at that button thinking it was like rotate. I am old and so is that excuse. Oh well I learned something useful today, that’s a plus.
            Flip 1.jpg
            Randy,, Thats why we have them gals around, Mine find tools that I PUT IN A PLACE I knew I,, knew where it was?? End of story.
            Cheers Chuck
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Hi Randy
              Oh I do so much know how you feel. I find I have reached technology saturation point for the most part "But" picture manipulation is a must get into area. I got into photoshop but there are heaps of other photo manipulation programs your systen sounds like it has one. This is well worth exploring.

The thing is don't be frightened to play with all the buttons. I duplicate the image then close the original so that it is always safe. Then I try all the different options on the picture just to see what one can do with each different one. I designed a range of postcards doing it this way.

You will find that most programs will allow you to flip a picture verticaly or horizontally. you can transform the shape to make it longer or wider and even create a single point projection view.

You can also re- size the pictures to any size you want. This takes a lot of the pain out of pattern making and is a lot of fun as you are limited only by your imagination as to what you create.

The option are endless for instance I could use the computer snipping tool to copy your imageand save it to pictutes then drop it into photoshop and change it all around to suite the project. It just opens up a lot of opportunities.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope you find it helpful.

If you are ever stuck for a pattern just flick the pics to me and let me know what you want to do with it and I will make the patterns to size for you.

Comment

• Claude
                Claude commented
                Editing a comment
                If you can't get through to Glenn, send to me - I also have Photoshop
                Claude
            Working...
            X