Annual pilgrimage .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual pilgrimage .....

My stock of basswood was getting low, and since the weather was pretty nice yesterday I decided to make my annual pilgrimage to replenish my supply. It's 300 miles ( round trip ) so we hit the road early and included a visit to our oldest daughter and her family. Like everything else, basswood has been affected by inflation so I was expecting the worst and sure enough the price was .70 cents a bdft higher than it was a year ago. This year I paid $ 11.90 a bdft as compared to $ 11.20 last year . I checked some old invoices when I got home and found one dated 2015 and basswood was $ 5.60 a bdft then.
    should be enough here to keep me out of mischief for the next year... 3"× 7"× 12 ft
    Wayne
    Attached Files
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Hi, Wayne, I see a lot of your Little Hunter Man and looking forward in seeing him again. Merle

Comment

Glad you are all stocked up, Wayne. Yep, everything is up including fuel.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Even the gas for the chain saws and the diesel for the harvesting machinery, logging trucks and milling engines. It's all up everywhere. There are several mills within 30 minutes where I can buy more cedar than I'll ever use. $5.00 clear posts (5" x 5" x 64") are now $7.00 posts and it goes on.
        Brian T

Comment

Prices keeping pace with the temperatures.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
            Even the gas for the chain saws and the diesel for the harvesting machinery, logging trucks and milling engines. It's all up everywhere. There are several mills within 30 minutes where I can buy more cedar than I'll ever use. $5.00 clear posts (5" x 5" x 64") are now $7.00 posts and it goes on.
            Was in Home Depot today, they had premixed oil/gas... $24.00 a gallon. Just who are they kidding, I have a gallon of gas 4.87 and the oil addin, 6 bucks US. BUT cedar posts 7.00 . they didn't just harvest the tree??

Me too.
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

7 bucks for a cedar post seems very cheap to me. A crappy 2x4 from Home Depot is $5.....and that has gone down, they were over 6 bucks a bit ago.
              Soggy- sounds like a good excuse for a little trip. I need to replenish my stock as well. Last time I ordered from Heineke. Great wood , good price , but the shipping was as much as the wood itself.
              Anders.
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

5" x 5" x 64" isn't much of a post. Meant for decorative post & rail garden fences. Gotta get there between shifts before they can punch the mortice holes!
                I've bought regular 8' or 10' cedar fence posts, can't recall what I paid but it was not painful.
                What hurts is to ruin the wood beyond redemption in a carving.
                Brian T

Comment

When I consider the enjoyment the carving wood gives me, the price doesn't matter one bit.

Comment

Brian.....Today, In Hawaii, a four by four by eight-foot cedar post at Lowes is $38.42. Redwood post is fifty-one dollars. All construction on my side of the island is dead and quiet and can not get supplies, sold out, and unknown if they will get any in. And gas is $6.20 well noted on the frontline news today...As gas prices have soared, gas theft has quadrupled this year from last year. Going to have to bear-proof my car and house these days.

You go to a food store and you walk out with your mouth dragging on the ground. Went to the grocery store yesterday some of my normal items that were two and a half dollars last week are today nine dollars. I call it the sewer has hit the fan times. As far as carving wood I am stocked. The pack rat in me thank god, ...Construction wood in May, I was dragging throw-away wood for free to my house paid for it in pain and knee issue...but today its unaffordable if you can find it at all. All construction in my area is dead stop no supplies and unknown if will get it??? If you live day by day here ...your not going to make it. They saying it will get tons worst, get ready.
                    Last edited by DiLeon; 07-22-2022, 01:09 PM.
                    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

In lQQking at my supplies. I must have a thousand bucks worth of woods here. ? Whew, and as a discussion was about Dry wood. My shop storage is about as dry as it can get. I have to spray every thing I work on with water mix.
                      Chuck

Comment

In a fit of greed some years back, I was buying western red cedar shake blocks by the dozen ($60.00). They are 24" tall by about 12" x 8". Bought some 5" x 5" x 64" posts meant for decorative post & rail fencing $5.00 each. Glad I did. I don't begrudge the mill guys putting food on their tables every night. Sure glad I haven't needed to go back.

Pretty much everybody is working with glue-ups for big pieces. There is big stuff if you know where to look. I can find yellow cedar, 12" x 24" x 96" for $12.00/bdft. The vendor got smart many years ago and packed his wood loft with YC .

What I believe is that we are seeing the huge spike in transportation costs. Plus, a chance to jack up profits and claim it's supply chain costs.
                        Brian T

Comment

Hey I was able to score some basswood today for $7 a board foot. Ive been going to this hardwood lumber yard for other material. Didn't occur to me to check if they had basswood. This piece is 4x8x72" rough sawn. That seemed like a good deal to me so I thought I'd give their stuff a try. Should be able to get a lot of carvings out of this piece.
                          Attached Files
                          Anders.

Comment

Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post
                            Hey I was able to score some basswood today for $7 a board foot. Ive been going to this hardwood lumber yard for other material. Didn't occur to me to check if they had basswood. This piece is 4x8x72" rough sawn. That seemed like a good deal to me so I thought I'd give their stuff a try. Should be able to get a lot of carvings out of this piece.
                            Looks very much like the one I bought here in the Tri-Cities. 4x9x38 inch rough sawn??? You robbed them I paid, ??11 bucks ft BUT yepper.
                            Chuck
                            Chuck

Comment

Maybe I'll go back and buy more......have 10 year supply
                              Anders.

Comment

Working...
                              X