Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Changes With Time Whether We Like It Or Not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Changes With Time Whether We Like It Or Not.

Yesterday my wife spent most of her time cleaning out the den closet and sorting though 59-years of Christmas Decorations. It's amazing the volume that we collect through time from everything that was bought, or made by family and friends. But I guess that for all of us there comes a time in our life when regardless of how we still feel about Christmas, we just don't have the vim and vigor in our 70's that we had in our 20's and 30's to string lights across the front of the house and put up a tree with all the fix'ins. She tells me that she's only keeping items that can easily be displayed on a table or bookcase and only those that have some special personal meaning to her or myself. I was very pleased to learn that all of my Christmas themed woodcarvings have made the cut. I'm sure that although the lights wont be as bright, the house will still look and feel warm and cozy this coming Christmas season.

We are doing much the same thing Eddy. We started in June. We have not gotten to Christmas yet. After 30 years in this house we are doing a if in doubt out clean out, one room at a time. I can’t believe some of the stuff we saved over the years. I thing Christmas stuff is in Oct.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

"When, in the rest of my life (I'm 76 now), am I ever going to find the time to play with XYZ tools and toys?"
      The correct answer is never.
      So last Friday, some friends took away a packed van-load of clothing and dishes for a charity.
      The sad thing is you can't see that we did anything but visit! But, I'm determined to make that 6 van loads long before Christmas.

Speaking of which, I have a living fig tree in the corner of my living room. 6' high and 6' across. It's decorated with little white lights on a timer. I have hung all sorts of small wood carvings in the tree, they stay there all year for me to admire. I inherited the tree, maybe 100 years old?

I skipped the conifer Christmas tree a couple of decades ago. If I have lights and decorations, I've long since forgotten where they are.
      Brian T

Comment

Eddy, I can relate. I'll be 81 next month, and my wife is a year behind. Since we were married in 1961 this past Christmas was the first time we decided not to put up a tree...with Covid, thought it prudent not to have our family Christmas gathering. We have decorations going back 60 years, but usually only put out a fraction of them since we became empty nesters. Maybe this year we can shed a bunch of it.

Like Brian commented, it's amazing how much stuff we accumulate that just sits packed away. I have a shop loaded with 90+ antique clocks (some just for parts) that I'm working on restoring, and that's after a clear-out...have to work faster or I'll run out of time! That's not to mention all the closets crammed full. Well, looks like a common problem, but I'd like to make it easier on our kids when we depart.
        Arthur

Comment

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto. We made the downsizing years ago and gave most away. A very stress relieving experience. Amazing how much "junque" we accumulated.

Now we are reduced to what we had when we got married in 1967.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
            Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto. We made the downsizing years ago and gave most away. A very stress relieving experience. Amazing how much "junque" we accumulated.

Now we are reduced to what we had when we got married in 1967.
            Burner.... If my wife and I downsized to the day we got married in 1963 we'd have not much more than the clothes on our back and a pocket sized transistor battery operated radio. Now you're really bringing back the old memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
              "When, in the rest of my life (I'm 76 now), am I ever going to find the time to play with XYZ tools and toys?"
              The correct answer is never.
              So last Friday, some friends took away a packed van-load of clothing and dishes for a charity.
              The sad thing is you can't see that we did anything but visit! But, I'm determined to make that 6 van loads long before Christmas.

Speaking of which, I have a living fig tree in the corner of my living room. 6' high and 6' across. It's decorated with little white lights on a timer. I have hung all sorts of small wood carvings in the tree, they stay there all year for me to admire. I inherited the tree, maybe 100 years old?

I skipped the conifer Christmas tree a couple of decades ago. If I have lights and decorations, I've long since forgotten where they are.
              I agree. I very reluctantly sorted out my bookcases a couple of weeks ago and donated well over 10 cloth grocery bags filled to the brim with books. I still have a full bookcase or more left but I didn't have the heart to get rid of my military, Asian themed, and philosophy books. Perhaps someday in the future.

Comment

I built sturdy book cases out of 2x6 SPF. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall. My house is completely finished, up and down. So one wall of the downstairs living room became my library.

Music books are usually pretty skinny, one shelf has a measured 36" of music books (guitar, banjo, violin, mandolin, piano.) My best estimate is 2,000 titles in all and the pile upstairs here continues to grow like a disease. I have read almost all of them. I don't know if I should be proud of that or not.

I did the Biology professor thing for 30+ years. I purged my office twice. First to the high school that my kids attended. About 60 different text books. Facing retirement and moving away from the city to this village, I unloaded on the local high school, another 60+ titles. I kept what I thought were representative texts on things like insects, fungi, crustaceans and so on. Several dozen.

Over the past 5 (?) years, I have made an effort to collect (new and used) as many texts regarding First Nations Art and Carvings, even autobiographies. Somehow, a Sioux chef's cookbook slipped in there. Must have 30 titles. Fascinating cultural notes in many of them.
                Brian T

Comment

We never had kids so Xmas was pretty much just a matter of Glynis and her Mum doing the presents under the tree thing. When Mum passed that sort of went by the way. We don't even go out for a dinner or anything any more at Xmas. My nearest relative is a 6 hour drive away so just ends up being a another quiet day at home with maybe a super nice steak and a good bottle of fancy moonshine.

I have a decent collection of books many that I have read several times. Kind of like old friends so they get to stay and every couple of years I start at on end and work my way through the whole lot.

Don't think we will do downsizing well. Was hard enough selling off some of the rifles. Just can't imagine parting with tools.

Comment

Working...
                  X