Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Guess We're As Ready As We'll Ever Be!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Guess We're As Ready As We'll Ever Be!

Our shutters have been up for a little over a month now thanks to my grandson, his wife and her brother but up until now they just added another layer of protection from the Florida sun (believe me when I say that it's a great side benefit.) According to the Fox weatherman this is the first time in in quite awhile when we haven't had a named storm by September. Andrew back in 1992 did his dirty work over the last week in August. We can only hope that Mother Nature isn't saving up for a repeat of this event, although it does look as if they are starting to line up across the Atlantic. I figure that we're good for up to a Category 3. A Category 4 is likely to take down all or most of my trees and we can only pray that they don't end up on the roof. A Category 5 will in all likelihood take out the roof, if not on the pitched roof portion of the house, almost certainly on the addition with the flat roof. Two years ago we replaced the shingled section and had another 3/4" of plywood nailed down across the entire pitched section so we feel fairly good about it. The back flat section is up for replacement this coming winter. Even if we didn't want to the insurance company will require it to get our policy renewed. And that's if there are even any insurance companies doing business in Florida by this time next year. The Florida legislature had an excellent chance to fix the insurance crisis once and for all this year and the action that they did take as it turns out has done little to stop the insurance company exodus.

Hurricane Shutters Aug 2019 (3).jpg

Just in time....looks like the supercomputer's ten-day forecast could have a hurricane coming your way. Would be nice if you have no events again this year...will see. Perfect weather for hurricanes. Looks like we are having formation in the pacific again at about the same time as yours will appear. With the economical issues in the country and businesses closing down it will be interesting, to say the least, what will be still in business next year in the whole country. The only thing, I got to say about the local and fed government appears they have their thumb in a dam that is major cracking.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I think the season has started. 3 disturbance’s in the Atlantic and one in the Caribbean. Looks like L91 is the one to watch this week.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I no longer live on the beach but a good ways inland. When I was six years old we did live on the beach, and we were hit with a massive hurricane in 1947 (they weren't naming them then) that absolutely devastated the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast. We are starting the peak time for those buggers now. They are certainly not to be taken lightly.

Eddy, Louisiana is going through the same mess with insurance companies leaving the state, and flood insurance looks like it's scheduled to increase 18% per year for many years to come. And speaking of roofs, ours is steel so I just hope it doesn't start to peel off in a hurricane...but when I had it installed, I had the roofers put it over the shingled roof, so I guess I'm wearing a belt and suspenders, so to speak!
        Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
          I think the season has started. 3 disturbance’s in the Atlantic and one in the Caribbean. Looks like L91 is the one to watch this week.
          News is good today looks like she is going to be a big one but appears to now be shooting straight north in mid-ocean. Fingers crossed, we will see as time gets closer, these ten-day predictions can do anything. The one in the pacific will most likely roll along the coast toward California.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
            I no longer live on the beach but a good ways inland. When I was six years old we did live on the beach, and we were hit with a massive hurricane in 1947 (they weren't naming them then) that absolutely devastated the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast. We are starting the peak time for those buggers now. They are certainly not to be taken lightly.

Eddy, Louisiana is going through the same mess with insurance companies leaving the state, and flood insurance looks like it's scheduled to increase 18% per year for many years to come. And speaking of roofs, ours is steel so I just hope it doesn't start to peel off in a hurricane...but when I had it installed, I had the roofers put it over the shingled roof, so I guess I'm wearing a belt and suspenders, so to speak!
            Very interesting. I didn't know about LA have the same problem with the insurance companies. Florida went through this same dog and pony show 15 or 20 years ago. We'd had State Farm as our Home Owners Insurance for close to 30-years and they all of a sudden up and dropped us and a million other Floridians. Fortunately, we were one of the first and I was able to get us with AAA. It also helped that we bundled both the car and the house. What really fried my butt was that State Farm owed us a 6-month refund and and that took us close to 6-months before they would release it. I'm just hoping that AAA is stable enough to weather the storm because i really don't want to have to go to Citizens (the State run insurance of last resort) and the only other insurance company I'd really consider is USAA. Good idea with the metal roof being installed over the shingles. The only down side I can see would be the roof being able to breath sufficiently but if you haven't noticed any problems then your most likely Okay!

Comment

I agree except our local Fox weatherman who is usually right on said this morning that he doesn't quite trust the sharp turn predicted next week by the models. We'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                SNIP Good idea with the metal roof being installed over the shingles. The only down side I can see would be the roof being able to breath sufficiently but if you haven't noticed any problems then your most likely Okay![/FONT][/SIZE]
                Eddy, it's a standing seam metal roof, so there are channels (the seams) that allow for airflow.
                Arthur

Comment

I agree except our local Fox weatherman who is usually right on said this morning that he doesn't quite trust the sharp turn predicted next week by the models. We'll just have to keep an eye on it.
                  As all of us know who live with these storms, you do not know what it is going to do until it does it! But they are getting pretty good with the guesses.

Comment

Yes, that is it.....plus the darn predictions can change hour by hour. Some rare ones do not behave like the computers are reporting...we get those kinds often....., really have to watch them and see. The only thing I think will happen L91 is going to be a big sucker the ocean is really warm. Those are the ones I do not like. Small ones are easier to hit and miss.

Last edited by DiLeon; 08-29-2022, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Eddy, it's a standing seam metal roof, so there are channels (the seams) that allow for airflow.
                      Sounds good. I had a fastened galvanized roof put on our cabin when I first built it and had trouble for years with mold on the underside of the roof from condensation. About three years before I gave it to my son I had an aluminum fastened roof installed with bigger ribs and it really helped. For me it was a learning curve. What makes for a good roof in Florida does not necessarily work in the mountains of east Tennessee.

Comment

As all of us know who live with these storms, you do not know what it is going to do until it does it! But they are getting pretty good with the guesses.
                        What really gets me is when the weatherman predicts a 50% chance of something happening...why not just say he doesn't have a clue like the rest of us?
                        Arthur

Comment

What really gets me is when the weatherman predicts a 50% chance of something happening...why not just say he doesn't have a clue like the rest of us?
                          Amen Arthur!

Comment

Hi Arthur
                            They don't pay people that are honest enough to say I don't know. 50-50 is the perfect political fence sit as they consider themselves right in either event and who can argue the point despite the whole prediction being actually pointless as nothing can be determined from it. hehehehe

Batton down and be safe guys. Kindest regards and prayers to all.

Comment

Working...
                            X