Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lord, help me be the person that my dog thinks I am!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord, help me be the person that my dog thinks I am!

It's been over 6-months since we had to put my carving buddy down do to chronic liver disease. And as most of you all can readily agree to that it was one of the hardest things that we've ever had to do. We love our pooches. When we adopt a hound it's not for status, or hunting, or competitions. It's for love and companionship and for life, either it's or ours. In simply stated terms it becomes cherished family.

So last week my wife and I were moping around the house, feeling lonely and decided that it was time to get another dog. I tried three dog rescue organizations before we finally found what we were looking for at the fourth. Boy! Rescue organizations have really gotten tough to work with since we adopted our last dog. The first organization didn't even have the courtesy of getting back to me. The second simply sent me a no-reply email stating that the dog had to be adopted by a multi-dog family even though nothing like that was noted on their website. The third dog we got interested in was a special needs female who was deaf. We were really hopeful that time but no cigar, although we did get a nice reply stating that when they contacted the foster family they were told that the foster family wanted to keep her.

Finally, on the fourth try we won the lottery. Her name is Delilah, a beagle/hound mix. She's a rescue from north Florida and her first year of life from what we were told was not pretty, coming from hoarding, living as a stray, being abandoned. She's just a bit over 1-year old, weighs in at 39-pounds, and has tri-coloring. The only cat in the sand box is that she is Heartworm positive but we've already set her up with a new veterinarian and the outstanding folks at the rescue organization have arranged to cover the cost.

I can tell you without hesitation that the hole that existed in this house prior to us bringing her home this morning has definitely been filled. I don't think that a minute has gone by when I haven't heard mama talking to her. Me, I can't weight until she becomes comfortable enough with us to want to join me out on the front bench while I carve. After all, I need someone to talk to also!

Delilah (1).jpg

wonderful addition to your family- congratulations
    Ray

Comment

Bravo Sir!! and young Lady, great choice in that pooch. And a very good looking one at that. My wife several years ago, 30+? any way decided not to have any animals, but we have OP's other peoples and are happy for that . We used to travel almost all year and didn't want to put an animal through all the changes.
      Now both sons and family have pooches. . And what a deal they are. . We baby sit for them.. Cheers and great happiness on that doggy.
      Chuck
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Outstanding Eddy. My shop mate helps fill my day. In or out of the shop. Your new lady looks sweet!!
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Good deal there Eddy, A pretty pup.
          Herb

Comment

Congrats Eddy! She's a beauty! And her eyes say it all...love love love. And of course, you got a treat right?

BobL

Comment

Good for you, nothing like the love from a furry companion.

Comment

Tons of people got pets during the pandemic now tons of them are dumping animals on the streets mainly because they can not afford to feed them ...and it is great people like you that give them a home. Warms my heart to hear stories like this.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Nothing like a fur baby. They fill our lives with joy and happiness.

Best of luck to you, your missus and your new Family member.

Comment

Great news, Eddy! Got to have a pooch around, especially a rescue. Perfect companion, always ready to listen, always understands what you mean and agrees with you! Delilah is a pretty one, good choice! We couldn't be without one, that's for sure!
                    Arthur

Comment

It was meant to be, Delilah needed your home as much as you needed her. Sweet looking pup!

Comment

She looks lovely, win-win-win-situation for all the three of you. (I am talking to all my animals, also to the chicken and my bees )

Comment

Originally posted by yolli View Post
                          She looks lovely, win-win-win-situation for all the three of you. (I am talking to all my animals, also to the chicken and my bees )
                          Yourself and my wife really have something in common!

Talk to the Animals
                          by Sammy Davis Jr.

Oh, if I could talk to the animals, just imagine it
                          Chatting with a chimp in chimpanzee
                          Imagine talking to a tiger, chatting with a cheetah
                          What a neat achievement it would be
                          If we could talk to the animals and learn their languages
                          Maybe take an animal degree
                          I'd study elephant and eagle, buffalo and beagle
                          Alligator, guinea pig and flea
                          I would converse in polar bear and python
                          I would curse in fluent kangaroo
                          If people asked me, can you speak rhinoceros?
                          I'd say, of courserous, can't you?
                          If I conferred with our furry friends, man to animal
                          Think of the amazing repartee
                          If I could walk with the animals and talk with the animals
                          Grunt, squeak and squawk with the animals
                          And lord, they could talk to me
                          If I could talk to the animals
                          Think what fun we'd have asking over crocodiles for tea
                          Or maybe lunch with two or three lions, walruses and sea lions
                          What a lovely place the world would be
                          If I spoke slang to orangutan, oh
                          The advantages, any fool on earth can plainly see
                          Discussing Eastern art and dramas with intellectual llamas
                          That's a big step forward you'll agree
                          I'd learn to speak in antelope and turtle
                          My Pekingese would be extremely good
                          If I were asked to sing in hippopotamus
                          I'd say, whynotamous and I would
                          If you stop and think of it, there's no doubt of it
                          I could win a place in history
                          If I could walk with the animals and talk with the animals
                          Grunt, squeak, squawk with the animals
                          And they could squeak and squawk and speak and talk to me
                          They would talk to me, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
                          The animals and me, can't you see me with them?
                          We're walking like friends
                          Talking back and forth
                          Down the road we go
                          Me and the animals

Songwriters: Leslie Bricusse​

Comment

Good luck with Delilah, and good on you for giving a home to a dog in need. She looks real sweet. Like yolli wrote, everyone wins. I talk to the animals, trees, bees, etc. too. If you listen real close with your heart, they DO talk back.

Comment

Lovely story, Eddy. Thanks for sharing.
                              Rodster

Comment

Working...
                              X