Hope All Made it !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope All Made it !!

I was listening to the news and was wondering how all our friends in the northwest that was so devastated from the recent storms. For instance Rick and Terresa at Little shavers are you folks ok? It sounds like it was a terrible thing to go through and hope everyone makes it ok. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Let us hear from you so we know you are alright.
    Ron

Re: Hope All Made it !!

Ron, I don't know about Rick & Teresa, but my sister lives in north central Seattle and her basement flooded a little. Lots of rain, not enough places to put it.

I live about 100 miles west, out on the coast. About midnight Sunday night it was calm and 33-34 degrees. By 2:30 it was 55-60 degrees and 60MPH winds. Power went out, of course, and just before dawn we lost phone service. So we lit the candles and the propane stove, and camped out. I called the boss on my cell phone and told him I might not get there today, as our 3 mile stretch of highway had 7 trees across the power lines, 2 more blocking at least one lane, and debris scattered all over. However, LOML bravely set out for town, to teach her lessons and get a few supplies.

After checking on the near neighbors, I went to cutting the limbs and top off a fallen 20-inch hemlock that had barely missed the shop and smashed across the hood of my parts Suburban parked nearby (of all our rolling stock, that was the best one to hit). About 3pm a power crew showed up and started cutting the trees off the power lines, which went pretty well until it got dark, because they were sent out one flagger short. They were just about to pack it up and head for supper, but I went out and told the foreman, "I'll flag for you if you stay till you get us lit up again." They were all making double time, so he agreed and gave me an orange vest, and about 2 hours later, whaddya know, they got us reconnected. An hour after that, we got one phone line back, so we're almost normal now.

We don't have any pics, even though she reminded me to take the camera, I forgot. So all we have are memories. Oh well. Just another reminder that nature is big and humans are small.

Parker

Comment

Cats Pa,
      Back in '68' when I "about 100 miles west, out on the coast" (La Push?) you sure didn't need a flag man. There wasn't much there. As anythink else though I'm sure that has all changed. I thought it was God's country then. Hope it hasn't changed too much.
      Nice to have power, glad you've got it. Keep a carvin.

Comment

Cats Pa Glad you made it alright. We are getting our usual sheet of ice then are supposed to get snow. Makes life interesting dosen't it.

Bob insulating and new doors sure have paid off here. Remember last year? Now I can sit and carve in a Tee Shirt and shorts.

Ron

Comment

Ron, thanks for you concern.
          We were lucky our sump pump kept up with the incoming water.
          If we had lost power, it would have been a different story.

There are areas still under 4-6 feet of water; some spots had 10 feet of water over the freeway.

In light of the recent flooding, I am reconsidering where to move when I retire. The area I had planned on received the worst flooding.

Thanks again, we are fine, Rick & Theresa

Comment

Glad to hear your OK .

Any word on Linda ?

Looks like it is still pretty bad there .

Ash

Comment

Better buy a generator Rick!
              "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Ron, I'm glad you have a nice warm place to carve now. I won't soon forget how cold it was last year while visiting. I'm sure if Lou could talk she'd thank you.

Comment

Rick,
                  Glad to hear you are OK. Also all our other friends in that area.

Cheers.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by xsailer
                    (La Push?) you sure didn't need a flag man. There wasn't much there.
                    Still isn't. LaPush is about 35 miles SE, little Indian village, small CG station, pretty sleepy. EXCEPT, when the fish are running, then you can't find a place to park for all the boat trailers.

Here in Clallam county, the biggest build-up is in the towns, probly twice the size you remember. But if you want to, you can still get out where it's lonesome without too much effort.

We've had a couple snow inches yet but nothing that lasted. Still early though so who knows. One thing about all this blowdown, makes it easy to find firewood.

Thanks for worrying about us but it really wasn't that big a deal.

Parker

Comment

Good to hear you're safe and sound Rick. That's too close for comfort, glad Theresa didn't have to become the house bailer', LOL, better get yourself a generator. Glad you're both safe and dry. Smile

Bob
                      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                      X