Shipping a walking stick..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a walking stick..

How do some of you people find a shipping container long enough to ship a 60 inch walking stick ? Would anybody know who to buy one from ? The longest one our us post carries is about thirtey six inches . I know 60 inches is long but i want him to be able to cut it off to his own length. Thank you for any help you may provide....... Dan........Thank You
    </IMG>

Re: Shipping a walking stick..

I just started making 48" long hiking sticks, and I was wondering about that, too. I figured I'd probably end up buying a piece of pvc pipe from HD or Lowes, and pack the ends with packing material and then packing tape. The price might not be the best for a shipping tube--$5.51 for 10' of 2" pvc pipe, but that's all I could think of.

Bob L

Comment

I have found the best thing to ship walking sticks in are carpet tubes. I contact local carpet retailers/distributors, and they are happy to save the tubes for me. Sometimes In a pinch I drive behind the stores and find the tubes in the trash hoppers. I have found these cardboard tubes in lenths up to 12 feet. I use a hand saw and cut to desired lengths. PVC caps (the 5-inch caps) work real nice for sealing the ends of the tubes. I also like to use bubble paper wrapped around the walking stick before packing the stick in the tube. Bob, the nice thing about the carpet tubes are their free and much lighter then PVC, which cuts down on the shipping charges. Keeping the over-all length of the packaged under 60-inches greatly decrease's the shipping costs also. Hope this helps.

Mark.

Comment

Mark is right, I contacted a local flooring company and he gave me a couple of tubes , then when my neighbor put hardwood floors down, the trim came in tubes...I just cut off what I need and stick the extra in the rafters for future mailings....I made end caps out of cardboard cut to shape and duct taped them on (what else ) cram some wadded up newspapers in around the stick on each end and it will ship with no problems. I received one stick with a tag taped to it...lol but wouldn't recommend doing that with a finished stick!
        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Guys,

Two other sources I know of are: Ski Shops. They have boxes plenty long enough to ship a 60" stick. They get ski's in them.
          The other is golf shops - not as long, but they get clubs in nice boxes for sticks.

Comment

Muffy
            Just ask for two of the 36" one from you post office and tape them end to end.The post office has the Triangle ones for free.I shipped one about a month ago and thats what i did.
            windsong

Comment

I ask my friendly neighbourhood drug store to save me a couple of boxes that their walking sticks/canes come in and re-use them. If I'm stuck, I'll make my own from a bigger box, or any cardboard carton I can find big enough and cut it down.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Thank You All For Your Help..this Board Is The Place To Come If Ones Stuck With A Problem. I Was Really Stumped And You People Came To My Rescue.. Thank You All Again, For Your Help .... Dan....

Comment

Working...
                X