Need advice on Pocket knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Pocket knives

I have several pocket knives that I have carried for years and years. One is a Case and the other is a Boker that I use both for carving. Now the most used blade on both are a little weak when opened. Getting to be a little dangerious to use carving but hate to look for other new Pocket knives. Maybe you can tell, these are my Fav-o-rite knives.

Question is," What can I do to tighten up the blades without sending back to company"?

Re: Need advice on Pocket knives

If you are talking about the backspring, there is nothing you can do to fix them. If you are talking about side to side play, that is repairable with a hammer and punch (but usually does not last too long).
    Bob
    Anthony
    Corryton, TN

Comment

Kenny, Your Ol favorite pocket knives sound just like the rest of us. Well some of us. Old an wore out. Some geritol might help us, but the same short term fix of a shot of Jack might get the same result. Your pocket knives might be in the same fix. But before I'd give them a good and well deserved retirement I'd check with Rick at Little Shavers. He's got magic you know........Tom H
      http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Kenny,

Worse case scenario, take the blades and make fixed blade carving knives. Might be worth a shot to call Rick at Little Shavers and see what he says--maybe he might even make new knives out of them for you.

Bob L

Comment

Another thing you can do, is knock out the pin, shim the blades and put the pin or a new pin in....if that doesn't work...you can always take the blade out and make a handle and make a fixed blade out of it? That way you can tell your wife "oh no, now I have to go buy an Oar Carver pocketknife "
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Kenny S, do a Google search for "How to repair pocket knives" which will bring up several sites to explore.

Comment

Kenny,
              Try this site:
              All About Pocket Knives is a knife related resource center for buying, selling, researching, discussing & showing off all things knives

If you can not make a quick repair with the information on this site, consider replacement; Boker and Case knives are available at fair prices. If the knives have sentimental value, you can send them back to the manufacturer and have them rebuilt.

You could also check out the March issue of Chip Chats; there is a man who customizes pocket knives. He also has a catalog that sells between 5-6 dollars that is worth every penny. Sorry, I don't remember his name right off.

Rick

Comment

I didn't see the article in chip chats Rick? I checked Mar of 2003 and of 2007?
                "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Dave,
                  I knew you would make me dig through my pile of books to find the magazine.

March 2007
                  Page 107
                  Alabama
                  Dave Whiren

On page 108 there is a drawing of one of his customized folders.

Get the catalog; while you're at it get me one too!
                  0 0
                  <
                  \_/

Comment

Thank all of you for responding and the links and suggestion were helpfull and appreciated.
                    I did not want to retire these pocket knives but looking at several sites and reading the information, I may need to here shortly and look at investing into another safer pocket knife.

The Boker was given to me by my little bride and daughter some 15 +years ago as a father's day present and yes it is special to me. However, Safety is most important and maybe I will try to make the blades in to fix blade knives.

The Case, I bought for myself and have no probelm retiring it, if, A big two letter word, I can find another like it. After spending several hours at the Case factory outlet store in Lebanan Mo when I first bought it, I can do-er again. After all, The little bride likes shopping there as it has other itmes there just for the ladies. Just seems these two knives are a part of me since I carried them so long. Might be lost without them eh?Sad

Thanks again all for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                    X