It's that time of year again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year again..

I have mentioned in past threads that we have a bald eagle nest on a cell tower just about 600 feet from our back door. They have been nesting on the tower for 4 years or more now and last year one of the chicks ended up in our back yard on it's first flight. They look so small up there on the tower but this chick was every bit of 2 feet tall, easily eye to eye with my 85 lb boxer....who thankfully did not find him in the yard that day.

Well, I got home from work last night to see my husband standing in the back door looking through the telescope. The chicks are huge, feathered out and doing that "flappy wing thing" that they do for days on end before they actually try to fly. This is an exceptional pair of parents as eagles go.

Two years ago they had a second nesting and raised two families that year. Last year, the year of the chick in our back yard, they had 3 chicks in one nest....fairly unusual for them to raise all three successfully. I hate living in Florida most of the time, but the wildlife makes it bearable......

Re: It's that time of year again..

Life's little pleasures for sure.

Comment

Susieg
      send some up North please, we used to have them but 60%disappeared.
      Alice
      www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
      www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
      www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Alice,
        the president of our local Audubon chapter tells me that these chicks fly to Canada to live for 3 years before returning here....

Right now there are probably half a dozen bald eagle nests with in a 20 mile radius. I remember when they were rare here.....not anylonger. Still protected though, as they should be. There must be a reason why the eagles have vanished from your area. If food (meaning fish) are plentiful, they should maintain a population easily.

Comment

Working...
        X