WiTcHeS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WiTcHeS

On this face you can see how the crown and valley lines were used to create a much more subtle effect.

Once the shape was painted it looked like this.

So you see, until the eyes are carved it is never too late. If you can draw an eye on, it can be carved in as well.

Christopher

Comment

Wow? Christopher that was amazing! So much information and I could actually understand it! Not only that-but I feel like I can do it! I love this second carving! This is such an inquisitive look! I am almost tempted to go back and carve eyes on Alma Mae...but maybe I will leave her for what she is. She does look old fashioned with them drawn on.
      What kind of wood have you used in this face? I have been useing unforgiving maple.It is work with untold rewards...but my hand hurts Thank you for all your help. When I get up the nerve I will post what I have been toiling with

Comment

Originally posted by Keoma
        Wow? So much information and I could actually understand it!
        Thanks, keoma. Your comment has made my efforts here worthwhile. What good is knowledge unless it is shared with people who can appreciate it?

One day, back in 1979, I was in San Louis Obispo for the Puppeteers Of America convention. At the time I was designing and building mascots. I had been experimenting with different techniques for applying different surfaces to foam rubber. Foam by itself is a good building material for making puppets, but it is light and air sensitive and needs to be covered or else it breaks down over time. The one surface that was eluding me was a shiny smooth flexible one. I was able to sort of do this, but all my efforts resulted in thick inflexible failures.
        While I was at the convention I took a workshop with a Mr. Hoe who made puppets for stop frame animation. He was an expert in the dinosaur genre and his puppets were wonderful and they were made from foam rubber and covered with a smooth flexible rubber coating. He never spoke of the surface through his talk, so when it came time for questions, I asked him how it was done. He kept giving me general answers describing what was done, but he kept eluding my question and never gave the secret until I kept asking. I could see in his eyes he was reluctant to say, but he asked me my name, and then he told me.

That one small bit of information was revolutionary to me and has affected everything I have done since then. So Mr. Hoe was kind enough to share knowledge with me that had a profound effect on my life and art work. Over the years I have come to really understand how a simple idea, when shared, can profoundly improve things. I hope by sharing my knowledge, experience and ideas that someone, somewhere, will see a light go on.

Of course there are those who resist new ideas and change. Poor souls who blindly writhe and wince about in a cage of their own making. I can only offer them a key and if they fail to pick it up or even realize there is a key there at all, more is the pity.

Please do not alter Alma Mae. She is a treasure in her own right. A perfect expression of where you were and where you wanted to go with your carving. Some of my most cherished carvings (aside from my puppets) I have now are works I did many many years ago and to look at them reminds me of so much. They truly have become life long friends. Every now and again they catch my eye and we rejoice in silence as to how far we have come together and they keep popping up in old photos, too.

This is one of my long time friends who originally was a test for a flexible surface on foam some 30 years ago. I was compelled to carve something for tests because the processes were so expensive that I had to make something.

The test failed, but Fred the fish has been hanging on my walls ever since. Now he keeps me company when I am doing laundry He is about 14 inches from top to bottom and is a larger than life model of a real angel fish I had at the time. He is showing signs of wear now and our cat chewed off his fin tippys. I do so enjoy him because I love angel fish and I carved him long ago. He's my old friend.

My goodness! No wonder you are sore from carving maple. The only things I carve from hardwood are tool handles when I make tools. That head is carved from Alaskan yellow cedar and as I recall it cost me a fortune. Wonderful to carve and light, too, that is a serious consideration when making 31" tall marionettes.

You should pick up every free scrap of wood you find in your travels. If you see someone cutting firewood ask them if you might have a piece or two and pick some nice chunks, as clear as possible. Cedar is awful nice to carve, but it can be a pain as well as it is prone to splitting if you attack it from the wrong angle. I mostly like to carve pine or fur. I go to the lumber yard and look through the stack of 2" x 4"s to find one that is as clear as possible, but the best ones have a tight grain. Any boards with tight grain are hard to come by now, as they are taking trees before they mature these days. If you see an old house being demolished, sprint over there and see what you can get. Sometimes a veritable smorgasbord of dimensional lumber and the older buildings most likely have that close tight grain that you are looking for. Basswood is terrific and a dream to carve, but once again it can cost an arm and a leg for a half decent block. Personally I shy away from expensive lumber to carve as I find it intimidating. On the other hand, when I find a chunk of wood in the firewood box and carve something out of it I am always happy in the doing and the results. I found an old cedar fence post in the firebox from which I carved the gnome. Free wood equals nothing but pleasure. Even if your carving attempt fails you can still have a good experience.

I await your next project photos with anticipation.

Good carving.

Christopher

Comment

Here is one I did from cottonwood bark.

Comment

Keoma,
            was browsing through some old Chip chat magazine and sept/oct 2001 issue has a wall hanging witch by Leah Wachter it is done from a 2" thick 12 1/2 inches hight and 10 1/2 inches wide piece of basswood.

Comment

DON! She is so great! Communing with her cat! I love the colors you chose! She looks like she could use some sun and has moss for hair-Perfect! Where can I find this kind of wood? Bark?

ROBERT-would you happen to have a link for that image? Thanx! I am anxious to see it!

Comment

I don't know if chip chats have a link of there old patterns or not perhaps if you can find a carving club you could get a copy from them it is Sept/Oct 2001 Page 26

Comment

HI keoma, thought I would show you a doll my sis and I made about 9 or 10 years ago. She's not a kitchen witch but I made her in mine, and my sister made the little witch and her rotten little kids in her kitchen.They're polymer clay.It's called bad hair day. They all stay in a box where they belong until halloween.LOL Hope you enjoy.......
                  My ETSY shop:
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

OMG wow! that is quite a witch! She looks horrid and wonderful at the same time! (please know when I say Horrid it is a good horrid!) I am thinking of starting with some polymer clay to practice. So thank you for posting! Amazing!

Comment

Here are a couple pictures I took at a CCA display last year. This one was done by Michele Carville, Dave Stenson's wife. She may have a roughout if you are interested. She did an excellent job on this witch and really does a fantastic job on Santas! Hope ya enjoy it!
                      Jim OH

Comment

O my gosh...i hope i can create one 1/2 as lovely!

Comment

No Goody, I don't mind you posting my picture (okay, that would be a picture of my witch! Sarcastic ), thank you for the kind words!

When I posted that picture someone commented I'd made her too pretty looking, the others posted here are fantastic examples of witch faces and I see what they mean. Their expressions, the look of their mouthes, perfect!! Thanks for posting them guys! Keoma, can't wait to see what you come up with. She'll be horrid in the best of ways, I'm sure!! Deborah
                          </IMG></IMG>

Comment

Thank you for the horrid positivity Deborah! As for me, I happen to like the pretty witches a lot! I have creepy ones out at halloween, but my not so creepy ones stay out all year. I have started my sketch for my pattern. Very exciting. Have you all ever seen a Witch in a Flannel shirt? Well, you will. I am going with something here...I told you I like the prety ones he he

Comment

Working...
                            X