Pregnant and Husband is nuts_Strop Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pregnant and Husband is nuts_Strop Compound

Is this your first child? They are truely a gift from God. I was 34 when My first baby (now 16) was born. I carved a lot more when she was little. It seems Softball, Tennis, 4-H, and Chior cut into my carving time a little more.

Comment

"In regards to item, It is not hazardous if it is used with a strop. When applied to a strop mineral oil should also be used to maintain the compound on the strop. It should not be used with a buffing wheel, dust created by buffing is hazardous. "

This is the info I received today. I have asked more directly, what is the hazerdous materials we are not supposed to breath, but as far as this much info goes, don't eat it and don't breath it. Maybe if you wore a mask when sharpening? I am sure it would make the Mr. happy to see . I wear a mask almost always, not only for my health, but because I am so done with hearing his concerns. You see, I have a husband who cares a lot too...aint it great?
      Then again, I still like BOB's idea...Hubby can sharpen them for you!

Comment

Originally posted by BobT
        I know that the Green variety has Chromium Oxide in it and that is suppoed to be bad for you.
        Quoted from Flexcut themselves;

Any of the green compounds contain some amount of chrome oxide. We will not use a compound containing chrome oxide because of health related issues.
        From the MSDS for Chromium oxide it sounds like flexcut is exaggerating to sell more "Gold Stuff".

for Chromium oxide

AvantorĀ® is a trusted partner to customers and suppliers in the life sciences, advanced technologies and applied materials industries. We provide mission-critical solutions and relentlessly advance life-changing science.

and for Silica

Comment

hydrogenated fatty acids.

That is what is not good for us to be breathing...eeeeew

more and more I am wondering what IIIS IT?!

Comment

Ho Boy!! Now I think I will make my life easier by getting an extra fine arkansas stone!!! I strop every 10 mins to make carving easier....hehe actually I just love that feel of a newly sharpen tool cutting into thing.
            Gloves, guards, now face mask.....I need to find me a hazmat suit....u think i can find one on ebay??Bouncing S

Comment

HA HA...maybe you could find one of those bubble suits you mentioned? lol

Comment

one can strop just on a pure leather belt without any compound (actually this is what is described in german carving books, there is no speak of compound). it works as nice, only a tad bit slower...
                a friend of mine strops on the inside of his hands, after he showed me that i use my fingers only to strop inside round gouges, is easier than finding a fitting dowel, they always vanish somehow ...
                to my knowledge the stropping compound is only for speeding up the process...so, you could at least while pregnant use simply pure leather belt ... congratulations btw !!

Comment

Originally posted by Mischief
                  I am pregnant and hubby is just my safety king man. He has been questioning what is in my stropping compound from Little Shaver. Is it natural? Is there lead in it? Am I sure its safe? Dont get woodchips on his baby...AGGGG!
                  So...can someone please tell me what is in that Stropping compound?

No wood chips on the baby? He doesn't want him to be a chip off the old block? I have been using the green chromium oxide compound for years.......actually, how often do you put it on the strop or buffing wheel? very seldom actually and after the first or second strop the compound is pushed into the surface of the strop......I don't see a problem....but then what do I know
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

The common stropping compounds (white) for power wheels are based on aluminum oxide, and it's pretty inert. The dust created by power stropping isn't hazardous because of the alumina, it's bad because it's dust and not good for your lungs. Wear a respirator.

All of the common stropping compounds that we use on our leather hand strops are safe to use that way. We're not making or ingesting dust when we strop, and skin contact with those compounds is not hazardous, at least routinely. There are some folks who have allergic reactions to some chemicals, but that doesn't suggest the chemicals are carcinogenic or otherwise hazardous. Even the chromium based compounds are safe unless you ingest a few pounds of the compound or are allergic. The major problem with chromium is the chemical compound hexavalent chrome that's used in electroplating solutions.

Most of the heavy metals that we've learned to fear are less hazardous in the pure metallic form than they are as chemical compounds (with the exception of mercury). People have been unaffected by a lead slug from a gunshot wound, carried in their body for decades. The same person would be sickened quickly by the lead oxide pigment used in paint. Check out most vitamin/mineral supplements and you'll find several metallic minerals or compounds that are important for our health. MSDS sheets are really useful, and you can be sure the supplier will list any known hazard, given the liability involved, and they will err on the conservative side rather than gloss over a potential concern. All things in moderation, as Ben Franklin used to say.
                    Matthew

Comment

Many years ago a friend,now deceased,gave me some white powder
                      he called diamantine,he said he,d used it to polish the platinum points
                      on Spitfire engines in the 2nd world war,I used it on my strop which
                      is nailed to the bench,its all used up, now I use fine carborundum
                      paste,the stuff you use to lap in car engine valves,it works well.

Jack

Comment

Congratulations on the upcoming bundle.

I go with teaching your hubby how to do the sharpening for you,then while he is keeping his eagle eye on you, he can admire your work while he is doing his bit to help out with the baby heirlooms that you are creating.

My hubby was a worrier when I was pregnant as well, even made me get a special screen for the computer monitor to keep the harmful rays off of the precious cargo I was carting around.

That cargo is now 13 and a typical teenager. Boy, what you have to look forward to. Enjoy every moment.

Comment

Working...
                        X