No announcement yet.

Festool:Do People actually pay this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festool:Do People actually pay this...

...much money for tools!?
    I see just about every woodworking catalog carrying this brand of power tools, even vendors who typically carry only non-power hand tools.
    They seem to be everywhere!

Does anyone actually spend $345 for a 12v cordless drill? $440 for a circular saw? $260 for a hand sander?

Just curios as to who sustains the market for this line of tools.

I can only guess that since everybody is carrying them they must offer a great profit margin to the seller...The only explantation I can see for both their price and their omnipresence...

RussL.

Re: Festoolo People actually pay this...

Yes RussL,
    Some folks actually do pay those prices. Festool is a very high end, very desirable brand and my husband, for one, would love a shop full of these tools. Most average wood workers won't pay that....my husband cannot quite justify it but he wants them bad.....

Comment

Susie,

"...my husband, for one, would love a shop full of these tools...he wants them bad....."

That's sort of the point of my question.
      We might all like to have the high-end tools, but is anyone actually buying them?

Wanting and buyng: two distinctly different activities. :-)

RussL

Comment

Sure,,,why not? Ferrari couldn't keep up with the demand and had to produce 500 more cars at over 2.5 million each. There are many watches that sell for 100,000.00 plus..just saw a new lounge chair that sold for just under one million. Bicycles that start at 15,000.00,,the wheels alone are 4 grand,,,entry doors 25 G,,bathtubs 50 G ,,,a guy I know engraves guns,,basic pistol starts at 100 G and he has a waiting list,,pool cues over 10 G. A designer friend of mine sold kitchen cabinets for one home alone at 1.25 million,,not the home,,just the cabinets.Womens handbags at 60 G....shoes at a grand each...RV's at over one million Pick any topic or item and someone somewhere is making it at an insane ( to most ) price. A bar in N.Y makes a $75.00 martini,,,and makes a bunch of them regularly along with $200.00 shots of Scotch.These items are made because there is a market for them. And in many cases there is a waiting list.

You also have to consider that on average a millionaire is "created" every four minutes in this country. In any given area,,there are an incredible amount of people who have almost unlimited amounts of money and have no problem having what they want ( bless their souls). Even with items that aren't considered a luxury such as tools. I can't tell you how many jigsaws I have burned up ,,some in just a matter of a job or two. Yeah,,I now buy one where i could have bought 4 for the same price. Same with micro motors,,,could have bought 3,,,almost 4 for the one I have now.Same with angle grinders,,,that's a 5 to one ratio. In some areas it actually pays. Why not buy those 12 piece sets of chisels we've been seeing for 30 bucks or so instead of 1 good Swiss made?
        It's the same thing,,,only different.

Comment

We even stock framing hammers at over $200 a pop, titanium no less! It is nice to know there is a brand of power tool out there that won't be neutered for sale at the big box stores. By neutered, I mean, plastic gears instead of brass and so on.

Comment

Festool is to hand held power tools as Laguna is to bandsaws. If I was an on-site cabinet maker, I'd love to have some of their tools, especially the Circular saw for cutting large panels.

Mike G. in SC

Comment

Well, if they are as nice to use as my Laguna bandsaw, then they are a worth while investment. It is light years ahead of any other saw I've ever used!

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I have to tell you that for Christmas, Santa, who is absolutely brilliant- I might add, put a big red Milwakee Case under the tree for me. I was exstatic! Then a week later I was going through his pants pockets headed for the washer and I found the tag...$250?! No effing way! I was besides myself! There was me-standing right there next to me...and we were both shocked! It is an awesome drill...but wow. I keep it in it's box!

Comment

Originally posted by Keoma
                  I have to tell you that for Christmas, Santa, who is absolutely brilliant- I might add, put a big red Milwakee Case under the tree for me. I was exstatic! Then a week later I was going through his pants pockets headed for the washer and I found the tag...$250?! No effing way! I was besides myself! There was me-standing right there next to me...and we were both shocked! It is an awesome drill...but wow. I keep it in it's box!
                  Would that be an "out of body ecperience?Smile" smilieid="46" class="inlineimg" />

Mike G. in SC

Comment

If anyone ever gives you a $250 drill ...you'll know what an out of body expirience it can be! Both of me are still so excited!

Comment

Working...
                    X