OTT lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTT lamp

Man oh man, I've heard so much about these lamps and have never ever seen one till today. A friend told me Micheals here in Canada carries them. Well sir (and mam) the wife and I got in the old Buick (1999) and away we went (45 miles). Sure enough they had several, wouldn't you know, the one I fancied was $199.99 (like 200 bucks). A lady standing nearby said today they have 40% off on one item that you purchase today, well sir 40% of 200 is $80.00 bucks, guess who owns a new OTT lamp complete with magnifier glass. It's a table model with a very large base but it sure is nice and I'm already seeing things on my current project that I didn't see before so I guess all the hype is true.
    Cliff

Re: OTT lamp

Tucker,
    Congratulations on your new lamp purchase. It sounds like you got a good deal. Let me know how good it magnifies. My eyes are getting worse everyday.
    groozier
    To God be the Glory, Amen.

Comment

Tucker,
      The color of light of the ott light emits is also suppose be good for you in alot of different ways.
      My wife does needlepoint, we had looked at the ott light for her, but I felt the initial price tag was hyped , shopped around, got similar out of a magazine considerable less. Now her & I both have them. Ours doesn't have magnifier but I had found some time back that in trying to do better carving I went to a head magnifier & got a cleaner finished carving.
      Good carving Brian D

Comment

Hi Brian, after having used this lamp for about 4 hours now, "it's going back" I can't use the magnifier at all, have too much trouble adjusting difference for focus, I'll stick with my halogen lamp and my head magnifier and keep my $120.00 plus tax.
        Cliff

Comment

Hey Brian, where in Northern Mich are you? I deer hunted in Grayling 40 or so years ago.
          Cliff

Comment

I have both a floor model and a table model; don't think much of either one. Just doesn't put out enough light and the magnifier is extremely difficult to use.

Comment

We've got two and rarely use them, but they are great when it comes to painting. Colors don't seem to fool you under this light. The magnifiers ARE a pain to use though, and I think that a setup of those wide spectrum flourescent tubes in an overhead fixture would work as well or better, with the exception that the Ott's can be moved around to light where you want without shadows.

You can pick upa a 4 foot flourescent fixture for around 10 bucks, the wide spectrum tubes will run about the same from the garden shop, so for 20 to 30 dollars you can have a pretty darn good overhead light system. I use one wide spectrum tube and one regular one in the fixture.....seems to give a nice comprimise in lighting.

Al

Comment

Thanks for all the input gang. Funny thing, I heard so many raves about these things a while back on here and been looking for them for 3 or 4 months and then bang, I got one. Well if the store was open today, Easter Sunday, it would be going back but will have to wait till tomorrow, it's just like you fellas said, not enough lite for me and the magnifier is a right off for sure.
                Cliff

Comment

I have the daylight lamp...didn't get the magnifier....but extremely happy with the light. I can paint my carvings without having the blotches and missed spots like I did before the light.....and the light also makes carving tiny details much easier and the ability to check for rough spots in the carving after I am finished........maybe you were concentrating too much on the magnifier and not the benefits of the light itself? For a magnifier, I use the one on the headband. all imho
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Check out the color rendering value and the kelvin output which is the measurement of color temperature.The higher the kelvin rating the brighter the lamp.Home Depot carries a good selection of special full spectrum lamps in the t-8 and t-5 series.

Comment

Tucker, I can't use the magnifiers either. I bought a florescent ring light with a magnifier in the center from an office supply store. Could not carve with it and went back to the magifier head piece. The lamp got broken in the move and they don't carry them anymore so it is pretty much a total loss. If you think about it, who is going to view the carving under this kind of light anyway? You can paint it with absolute color accuracy but it may not be viewed that way.

Comment

Thats true Capt, but when you (I) take the painting out in the bright light, the flaws, missed spots etc stand out like a sore thumb......
                        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

with my glass,s the magifier just mess me up cliff ill be looking thur the bottom are the tops and and then i add the magifers to its just to much to keep up with. by the way how are you getting along now i havent been on lately as ive been remolding the house i started out doing the kitchen and dinning rooms and next thing i was doing the whole house because they looked so good iam down to two bedrooms and the half bath upstairs and ill have the whole house done i preped and textured each room and ceilings and repainted all of the down stairs made all new trim in my shop built crown molding in the living room and dinning room and completely rebuilt the main bathroom but it made my wife pretty happy so that means alot to me plus its realy nice to see my work when its all done and it realy makes the house my own robin love the crown molding i built its done in three steps and it about 8in wide the house has 10 foot ceilings down stairs so it sets those rooms off and with the white walls i stained all the trim in a dark wallnut it looking like it should be on pbs on this old house and iam feeling much better now that i can work a little it was hard sitting for the two and ahalf months while i was hooked to that IV pump, ive been walking two and iam starting two get my legs built back up this pace maker has ment a lot hope your doing as well

Comment

I used two high output 8' floresent lights in my shop.

Comment

i seen hobby lobby had the replacement bulbs discounted the other day, and thought of building the lamp but the insides of the type of valance etc must be something special,

i can see the need for better lighting but at 2 hundred bucks, naw im just to cheap for that,, besides light bulbs dont last very long with this electric supplier, most tungsten lights wont last 2 months,

Comment

Working...
                              X