Pay later wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay later wood

Ok..maybe because I am a New Yorker but I have been feeling warm and fuzzy since Monday over my order of wood from Heinecke woods. I emailed them what I needed and asked for how much it would be. They promptly replied and asked for my phone number. I called them to pay for it and they said...OH! no...we will send it to you first and then you can pay. First thought and words I blurted out to them is " Dont you guys ever get cheated??"
    I mean...they dont know me...I have NEVER bought anything from them. That was a lot of wood ( by my standards) that I was buying. That kind of trust and faith in man kind.....the thought of it has been popping in my mind daily at least once and it never fails to make me smile.

Re: Pay later wood

It is rare these days to find someone who will do business like that.... I didn't know that about them as I have never needed to mail order for wood, but that is really nice......

Up until 3 years ago, I did business regularly with Dick Watson here in Florida. The name of his mail order business was Richard C. Watson Carving supplies. Lovely man and we did business for probably 10 years. I would call him and tell him what I needed. He would ship it to me with an invoice. I mailed him a check.... I bought my first micro motor from him. When I called to order it, I even jokingly tried to negotiate the price....and he gave me a small discount.....and then just sent it to me. I asked him if he didn't at least want my credit card number....no, he trusted me. The next day it was delivered to my door....it was a $600. unit back then. He always set up at our annual club show and we got to visit face to face. He was a good friend to everyone in our club. We lost Dick to a heart attack a few years ago.

A very nice person has taken over the business and they still do our show once in a while, but it isn't the same. Dick is sorely missed by all of us. I never knew anyone else who did business that way.

Comment

Well,
      Mischief it's true is true, I purchased best and the cleanist basswood from Heineke with prompt delivery.

I guess with so many venders trying to get into wood carving minds, it is hard to believe there are honest venders around. I have discovered that by just asking fellow wood carvers on the board, I will always get the right advise as what venders speak for product, Just the other day, I was informed the name and telephone of Brad Ketrick a supplier of tupelo wood, who I bellieve falls in the honest catagory of Heineke Wood products.
      Torpidhummer

Comment

Rick ferry of Littleshavers, The Bishops, Jon Nelson, Gerald Sears , Mountain Woodcarvers, Treeline, and a host of other carver vendors also do business this way. It is a treat these days to do business with these great peoples. There are probably more like theabove mentioned people as well as heineke but these get most of my bisniess.

Comment

TorpidHummer,
          would you please share the contact info for your tupelo supplier, Brad Ketrick? I for one, would love to have that info.
          Thanks
          Susie

Comment

Sure!
            Brad Ketrick, he's a great gentleman, 919 625 4070. there you Susie.
            Osca Legaspi
            torpidhummer

Comment

Thank you !
              I will be getting in touch with him soon.

Comment

the first time i ordered from heineke they said will just send you a bill later,when my order came i tore into it to find great looking wood but kept digging for the bill!! i looked 3 different times but to no avail,i finally just called them to say hey you forgot my bill,and they informed me no we didn't,you'll get one in a few days!! people like this are a dying breed,same with mac and beth at smoky mountain woodcarvers,our last show mac was there as a vendor. i asked for a certain bit i had seen in their catalogue and he was out but got my address and said when he got back to his shop he'd send me one,i asked the price and he just smiled and said don't worry about it!! few days later i got my bit at no charge.great people,refreshing to deal with people who actually make you feel like they really want and need you business.

Comment

I too do biz with Hienecke and dug to the bottom of the box the first time looking for the bill. I've called and talked to them and its a real joy to have them understand and willing to help. I usually have to have the UPS man call me before delivering because of our long driveway and the chance of them not making it in.. and its hard to get folks to put that on the shipment, but never had a problem with Heinecke.

I also do biz with Rick.. since I dont know much about tools its nice to just be able to describe what I'm doing and what might I need for this project? And he hasnt failed me yet.. I still may not know the names of those tools.. but they do do what I need them for. Thanks Rick.

Comment

Ev Ellenwood is also a very trusting merchant, and a delight to talk to over the phone. (and he really knows his stuff about carving and sharpening!!)

Comment

Working...
                    X