Two new pens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two new pens

Thanks Ron and Corey, also nice to see I am not the only pen turner on here.
    Carl

Comment

Pen advertising..

Sidenote.. It's kind of funny that there is an ad for turned pens to the right of this thread.

Comment

I noticed that aswell Kris, I was laughing... go check out the prices over there.
        Carl

Comment

Price..

I guess they are high at $40.00 but I'm surprised they are not even more. I know a craft shop carrying someone's pens and they are about $15.-25.00 depending on the pen.

Comment

Carl, your pens are really nice looking. I like the burled ones very much.I met a gentleman in Woodcraft one day that was shopping and he stopped and showed me a pen he had made. It was from a WWII bullet. I recognized it right away as my father has one from he was in WWII. The pen was a beauty but it was very heavy!
            Are your pens heavy? Isn't it an expensive hobby? The price of the lathe and the blanks at Woodcraft is very pricey.

Comment

Forrest, the pen and toothpick holder are beautiful. I don't know which of your carvings he wanted but I'd say you both made out on that deal. TFS

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments Catbird as per your questions.
                I have seen the pens made from bullets before, have not made one yet.
                My pens are not very heavy at all, I try to keep them functional as well as beautiful.
                Yes, it is an expensive hobby and even more so if you do it through woodcraft, they have prices quite a bit higher then the places I deal with.

Kris I was laughing at the fact of the ad being there, those prices are very competitive for the quality. I believe I miss worded it, not sure how someone could be selling them for less then $20. I have had a few custom ordered where the supplies, like an extra rare wood and a higher grade kit cost more then $40 alone.

Comment

well both of them look awesome! great work!

Comment

What type lathe do you recommend to someone interested in turning small pieces. I've thought about purchasing a small lathe, then I see something larger I'd like to try. Any suggestions?
                    Thanks,
                    Garon (Carver6)

Comment

Hi Garon most of this was already covered in this post here
                      http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...t-lathe-19629/

I have a Jet 1014 and I am planing to upgrade to a 1220 which is slightly larger about $100 more and has a bigger motor. Right now on the market the best min lathe would be an Oneway made in Canada but they are around $2,500.00 the comparable sized Jet to the Oneway Mini is currently $550.00 those are both prices with a variable speed a non variable jet is $450.00 these are current prices for brand new lathes you might be able to get a decent deal on one second hand. There is a lot more information on that other post, I would stay away from the grizzly lathes and the delta. Another I would recommend is a Rikon mini they are around $330.00. But if you want to you can always just buy a cheap one so remember you get what you pay for.
                      Carl

Comment

Alot of it depends on what you plan to make and then also your budget. There are a number of reviews to be found on different lathes around the internet, see what they say then make your own choice depending on what you like and what you pan to make.
                        Carl

Comment

Working...
                        X