Black Friday Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Friday Sales

We just finished our Calico Christmas crafts show. Key rings of any type didn't sell ($10). Larger (4 inch tall) Santa faces and Elf faces (Gargac style) sold very slowly (4 total at $25). 5-minute Wizards (painted, BLO, wax) sold at $5 each. Flat type ornaments of snowmen, bells, etc. (painted, BLO, wax) sold slowly at $5. The "wizard wand" for kids sold at $7. None of the flat plane men or Santa's sold ($25). For a first try at a crafts show, I sold about $250 worth. Remember to factor in that this is a small town, not NYC...

Of course my wife's pottery was flying off the tables.

Although there was a lot of interest in carving ("I used to carve...") I expect only one person to actually show up at our carving club meeting.

Oh well, I met a lot of fun people and had a good time! Plus, I bought a book signed by the author and by the illustrator, and a calendar signed by the cowboy artist.

Joggernot

(PS: does this make me a professional since I actually sold something?)

Re: Black Friday Sales

Not bad for today's economy. Professional, nah, unless you are totally dependent for your income by carving. Just my take on it.

Comment

Congratulations on your sales! At the risk of starting another definitions thread (hand carved vs power carved etc) - I would agree with Kenny that one show and some sales does not a "professional" make. I don't know if I'd go as far as Kenny and say ALL your income must come from carving, but I'd certainly agree that a significant chunk should come from carving to label someone a pro. Someone who does holiday & other small show sales, covers their costs etc, I would call a semi-pro or serious amateur. That's just my take though - and that along with $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

Cheers - and congrats on your sales.

ChuckT

Comment

yay! you sold stuff! That just means your awesome!!!
        Congrats to your wife as well! I am a pottery nut...I would love to see it

Comment

Congrats on the sales. Sounds like it was a good learning experience.

Comment

$250 think of all the carving tools or supplies you can buy with that.

Comment

Congratulations, To you and your wife, I would think in this economy any sales would be great.
              Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by TreeWizard View Post
                $250 think of all the carving tools or supplies you can buy with that.
                Bouncing SThis means I can buy some more basswood over the Internet! Mesquite bush is good for BBQs, lamp bases, and canes, but not for general carving.

Final tally was $978 for two days.Cheers

Nope, I don't consider myself a "professional", so I'll keep my signature the same as before "Beginner".

Joggernot

Comment

Made some $$$, had a good time, in my book well worth it. What book did you get ?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X