Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Gargoyle Cane article discussion thread

Hi Gang,
    Here's the place to discuss Shawn Cipa's article on Making a Gargoyle Cane.

Woodcarving Illustrated - Making a Gargoyle Cane - Summer 2009 Issue 47

Bob

Re: Making a Gargoyle Cane article discussion thread

This is a beautiful cane head. I was disappointed to see that the pdf pattern was a thumbnail though and not the real pattern.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. That was the wrong attachment. I've uploaded the
      correct attachment.

Best Regards,
      Bob Duncan
      Technical Editor

Comment

I have one question and one comment.
        Question:
        Why is it important to have the grain run in the direction of the shaft, so much so that you would use two pieces. I assume it was equally important to have the Gargoyle grain run lengthwise....why?
        I'm new at this and this has me intrigued because I haven't considered grain at all in my limited time carving.
        Comment:
        I recently finished attaching my first carved top to a cane shaft and when I showed the finish product to an old woodworker, he explained that when they use to build stairs and stair rails/spindles, that they would leave plenty of clearance between the male and female joints and use "Bondo" to fill the gap so that they could move the two pieces into position with ease and accuracy without trying to make them match perfectly by shaping the joints.
        That seems like a great idea to me and I think I will try it next time. What do you think?
        Thanks for sharing and thanks in advance for answering my questions.
        Very helpful article!
        Blessings,
        James

Comment

It is OK now I made a copy and it is 100% dia. 1.5 inch I might make one and do a a vrevision to be original Thanks Vinc

Comment

[QUOTE=WhiteShaman;329367]I have one question and one comment.

Hi James,

I carved this cane in two pieces mahogany, with a buternut shaft and attached the handle with yellow glue and a long woodscrew. The grain should run the right way for strength. I thought the two glue joints would weaken the cane. Less joints the better in my mind.
            I wouldn't use bondo on this,its too weak on its own and without fiberglass mat.

I liked the feel of the handle.
            I'm going to carve another in all mahogany

Good luck
            Carter

Comment

I carved one from walnut one piece. Shaft is mahogoney turned w 1-3/4 sq top at head. Used threaded screw then plugged. Has plenty of strength, walnut was very good piece.
              Jim

Comment

Why does the hole for the 1/4" threaded rod need to extend all the way through the gargoyle?

The hole could stop where the 1/4" rod stops at 1/2" from the top of the gargoyle. I must be missing something.

Comment

Working...
                X