Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question asked of me that I have never heard before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question asked of me that I have never heard before!

Er ya bored Lynn? Create your own excitment! LOL

Oh, that don't work on the Grandkids either.

Are ya going to be in Tulsa this week end??

Comment

No Tulsa this year. Scheduled for another Op on Friday. Now lets get back on topic and dump some more gas on this cat fight!!!

Comment

well, gosh, I am confused. the question was could you sell his chicken art.
        did he have is chicken art with him.??? is this something I am missing. I am new hear. . Evie

Comment

Lynn,
          Not only are you a great carver but you must be a great cook.
          Cause you sure can stir up the pot!
          Bill K.
          Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Back this morning to read your responses. Sorry to hear that I was taken in that light, but there are sides to all of us that can be less tolerant, and that was a peek at mine.

First, in response, I was polite to both the "mom" and child. The tasing fantasy was purely in my imagination.

Second, I have encouraged countless new artists in the field and have helped many begin successful careers in the arts.

Third, my attitude towards the public has wained lately, not because I think I am better than anyone, but because my very successful, and long lived business is having a very hard time keeping the doors open. The economy has closed the doors of many venues of art all over the country.

I have an artist in residence program with 2 artists I support with free studio space, and sales to the public without commission being charged in order to help them become the full time artists they want to be.

I also have just completed a program assisted by a Grass Roots art grant to teach foster children art in order to give them another language to communicate with. I hope to continue that program, as it was very successful, but I've lost my non-profit partner (CASA) and there is no more funding available. I will probably continue it in the fall without funding if I can soldve the transportation delema for the kids.

My words were only meant as a frustrated venting to friends, not as a professional representation of my business. Apparently, I may not separate the two here on this board, and won't do it again, but I meant no more disrespect than I have heard over the years towards professional artists by customers who have placed artisans far below that of other professions.

My husband and I have both worked for decades in this field, and he is now driving an 18 wheeler, for which I am very proud of him, as he is sacrificing his time to be working on his own artwork so that we can keep our gallery open, and continue to represent all of the artists, about 150 of them, who count on my sales to help them make a living.

Some days are harder than others to be chipper for the public. I'll keep those days to myself from now on, but just know that the glimpse into my day was genuine, and I thought amusing enough to share. I am human, and there are days I just don't like having to work with the public. Other days, I do pretty well.

Trust me, the kid went away without being scarred, and the mom probably didn't learn a thing.

My apologies to those I offended.
            Christina
            Steve

Comment

Thank you Thor, for explaning your posts. It helps me to understand and takes the edge off my disapointment on what YOU had wrote.

I'm sorry things are so tough with business and life for you and the art world. Alot of us can relate to that situation.

This Thread was damaging to anyone who had dreams of being in a Gallery. I do think there are alot of folks who now will be afraid their art will belittle the gallery owner and will be run down even more on a public forum. Or get a laugh in our faces as one poster put it. That was hard to swallow when I thought so highly of you two gals.

I will take back my loosing of respect for you.. you've gained it back by explaining where it all came from and appologizing. I really felt like something needed to be said and was hoping you would understand I wasnt the only one getting a sour mouth reading the thread in its entirety.

Thank you again for standing up and helping me to understand. I may not agree with it and how it was presented..but I do understand where it came from now.

And as a side note of humor: If you do get a Tazor... aim it at Lynn, I hear he's in need of some 'excitement'.

Marcia.

Comment

I'll take all I can get...electric or otherwise!!

Comment

Matter of fact, Lynn and Judy do a lot of great cooking over a roaring fire,Chuckwagon style. That alone id a great task to accomplish and they do a great job of it. Nothing like their fried tators and Gravey and biscuits and man, I just done made myself hungry.

Sorry that you will not be at the Tulsa Carving show Lynn, We will miss you and Judy for sure.

Best wishes to you and the operation and God Bless.

Comment

Marci,

I have chosen to voluntarily withdrawal from this message board but I do not want to leave unfinished business here. So ...

Getting into a gallery can be difficult but there are easy steps that can improve your chances greatly. On average a gallery might accept 3 new artists a year. This depends on what type of gallery you are approaching. A gallery that is strictly paintings, prints and framing may take more than three where a gallery as Thor's that is displaying 3-d work it may be less.
                    3-d work takes more space inside of a brick and mortar store front.

I would suggest that you:

1. Check your phone book and local Chamber of Commerce to find what galleries are in your area ... I would suggest a 50 mile radius as this puts the gallerys within a one hour drive for you. Consider website gallerys that might be in your area.

2. Visit each gallery, both their brick and mortar store and their website, to see what style and medias of art they carry. A gallery owner will specialize in these two areas because those are the owner's area of expertise.

While you are there inquire if they do local art and craft shows, this increases your chances for sales if they accept your art. Also check out the price range of what they are offering to see if your work will fit within their pricing limits.

Ask if they have a Submissions Guideline that you can take home IF you feel your art matches what they are carrying. This is an excellent opening line for you as it says "I understand there is a process for applying to your gallery" and it puts you in a professional light as an artist.

Ask the gallery owner if they have time now to speak with you ... a submissions interview usually takes about 1/2 hour. Add to this if there would be a time when you could schedule an interview - you are more likely to get that scheduled interview than to get an on-the-spot interview.

Do they offer Artist Open Houses where your art is features in an open house, invitation party. Here the gallery contacts their customers with a special one night 'party' so they can introduce their new artist.

3. Create a strong profolio of photos of your work. Either have them taken by a professional photographer or use a cloth backdrop and include a ruler for comparision. If the photo is cluttered or unprofessional it will be passed over- more artists lose a placing because of bad photography.

4. Write an artist's bio for yourself. Gallery owners love self-taught artist! Trained and college educate often tend to create art that looks exactly like all the other students of their training. This does not mean that their art is not of excellent quality - it means that there may be nothing within the art to make it stand apart enough to market. Gallery owners also love new artists who's work is evolving and growing. It is a wonderful marketing tool to be able to say to a customer that "this artist is growing in their craft, you really should get one of their early works now because the artist is going to become a major influence in the years to come!"

Include a reference list which would include art that you have sold and who purchased it.If you have problems writing a bio ask someone that knows you and your art well to do it. I, personnally, have never written one for myself. Either my husband, Mike, or Bob Duncan have written mine ... much easier since they see my art from a totally different perspective than I do.

5. Go to the expense of having buisness cards printed ... don't do the diy on your home computer ones as they do not look professional. We gallery owners do keep those. I have a three inch thick pack of them, all with notes written on the back because one day I might have that opening in the gallery for them.

6. If you find a gallery that carries you style and media, one that you think your art would compliment make your approach, either by phone, writing or in person.

I, personnally, as a gallery owner prefer by mail because I then have their photos and bio in front of me. I must as a gallery owner make a five minute decision with phone or in-person submissions and often that decision has to be no because I do not have the time to consider how the art will fit in, what space I have and what it will take to market that artist. With mail submission I have time for all of this plus time to show your profolio to everyone in the studio ... including customers ... to get their feedback.

I do suggest to any artist that makes a submission, especially by mail, to follow up about one week after the letter should have arrived with a phone call.

7.Join any and all area art clubs, art associations and the local Chamber of Commerce. This gives you a professional look, references for the gallery owner and contact with other artists and business owners so you can use their knowledge and experiences.

8. Take some time to learn about copyright, artist agreements, gallery arrangements, consignment, commission work. Most gallerys work on consignment where you put your artwork in their gallery at no cost to the gallery. When the gallery sells your work they keep part of the sale money as their fee and send you a check for the remaining amount.
                    Some gallerys charge against the artist's sale the cost for advertising, framing, show sites ... so check first, if accepted, what costs you as the artist carries vs. what the gallery carries. Also check when the gallery cuts checks, do they carry insurance, do they pay for shipping costs if you want the art returned and what you need to do to reclaim your art if it does not sell within a certain time period.

On average we get about 100 inquiries a year for our dog art website gallery. On average we accept 2, maybe 3, artists. Whether you accept this or not it is extremely difficult and saddening to have to tell 97 artists "no" during a year's period. I, as an oil artist and print artist, understand how emotional devestating that "no" can be. I have heard it myself too many times to count ... I hate having to say it to another artist, but I must.

Whether you accept this or not I am not saying "no" to you as a person! My "no" is not a judgement of your personal self-worth. In fact who you are really has nothing to do with my decision. My "no" is not even a judgement on whether your art is quality art. My decision is based souly on "Can I sell that piece of art." The reason to own a gallery is to make money. The reason to put your art into a gallery is for you to make money. If the gallery can not market your art no one makes money.

I specialize in pure breed dog art. The art I take must be:
                    1. unframed art prints
                    2. limited or open editions of at least 150 that are hand signed by the artist but no more
                    than 750
                    3. feature one recognizable AKC breed of dog
                    4. be photo realistic in detail and breed standard specific
                    5. in a pricing range of $35 to $100 retail pricing
                    6. the artist must be willing to put at least 3 to 5 prints in studio with me on consignment
                    7. the print must be professionally reproduced on archives quality print paper
                    8. the retail price is set by our artists but must be consistant to any other marketing outlet

So returning to my example of the artist that submits their home computer printed, 8 1/2" x 11" printer paper, watercolor cartoon puppy dogs with wings memorial art has not done their homework. All they have done is a google search for dog art gallerys and then looked for my email or phone number.

All they had to do was spend 5 minutes on my gallery and they would have known immediately that I do not carry anything by breed specific photorealism. But instead of spending 5 minutes of their time doing their homeword to see if their submission was appropriate they literally waste 15 to 20 minutes of my time by cold calling me to tell me how I just had to
                    carry their work ... It is a ballant, rude and unrealistic waste of my time!

As for Thor's customer ... obviously they did not do their homework! They assumed that Thor specialized in chicken art, which she does not. They never considered Thor's time nor the task that Thor was preforming. Instead they assumed that she would or could stop and drop whatever she was doing which isn't always possible. It is my impression that the mother came
                    in the door and directly approached Thor ... she didn't even browse through the gallery long enough to see what art Thor carried.

As my final thought here - becoming a professional artist, getting into a gallery and showing your work publically is hard dirty work that takes every hour of your day, every day of your life.

Art is a business and if you want to succeed you must be willing to do the work that comes with it including competeting for placement in a gallery, going to shows, joining organizations, learning basic business skills. You have better be ready for 1000 no's to get that 1 yes! You have better be ready to lose 1000 competitions to win that 1 blue ribbon.

No artist is 'discovered' unless they have already done the work! Most 'new and upcoming' artists have been artists for twenty or more years!

Success happens only when Oppurtunity is met with Preparation!

If this is what you want, to be the top artist in your area, style or field you better be prepared to work for it, fight for it and to invest everything you have into it ... and when you get there please be prepared for what success brings you ... being accused of being arogant, shameless or even putting on airs and to have every word you have ever said or posted taken to literal extremes, disected and judged.
                    Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                    LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                    CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Thank you Ms. Irish. If only that mother could have read that post first.

And to add to your last paragraph, Be prepared to appologize to those who've given to you what you've worked so hard to get when you've been held accountable of your disresepectful actions.

I'm honestly sorry to see you leave. You will be missed.

Marcia.

Comment

This (Irish's last post) is good information...

S~
                        Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Christina, Thank you for explaining your post. I really wasn't sure how to take either you or Ms. Irish's post. You both seem to go out of your way to help us newbies on this board. I have to admit that I would have been ignorant of how to get your works in a gallery. Lora explained that beautifully, then stated she was taking her dollies and going home, never to play with us again. I do not understand her decision.

If I posting my do we need chocolate response to the post made anyone feel bad, then I am sorry. It was meant in fun.

In saying that, I feel we are all human and the written word is a fickle thing. If I write that I LOVE the man next door. And what I really mean is when my husband is away, he watches for strangers and unusual things at my house. Someone may think I want to have a physical relationship with him instead of I love him as a true friend.

Oooops fell off my soap box.

Seriously though Christina, I now respect your view as simply that a view spoken in perhaps haste just like I know I have done with customers that booked a perm and color, (a four hour space or more of time), then come in 5 minutes late and ask if I have time for JUST a trim, they want to catch the sale at XYZ. I had turned down three walkins and another color just to fit her time in.

In the heat of that moment, I may have posted my rant about her wasting my time and costing me money. In retrospeck, I realize, she had no idea how hectic a hairdressers schedule was. To be late on top of that really added to the stress. I always discounted my clients when I ran late for some reason wasting their time.

Dog gone it, fell off again.

I am proud of you as an artist and gallery owner to take the time to explain yourself. I am also proud of Marci speaking up and questioning your post and stating her feelings at the time.
                          I wish Ms. Irish would have felt the same way. She will be missed.

Way off her soap box. Wanda

Comment

Wanda, very well put! Susan will be missed.I hope she comes back.
                            My ETSY shop:
                            https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Working...
                            X