Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question asked of me that I have never heard before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish
    replied
    Re: question asked of me that I have never heard before!

Sadly, Thor, I believe your experience is more common place than you may realize. We often recieve inquiries to our gallery that are obviously inappropriate considering what is being submitted as compared to what we carry and compared to the quality of artists we represent. But some new budding genius is just sure that their watercolor cartoon dogs with angel wings is exactly what we must have ... The tighter the economy becomes the more bombed we are by such submissions.

I see the son's reaction as the most telling and I think that is what you are conveying in your tale. His wandering around the shop, uninterested in what his Mother is saying. He seems to distance himself from her desires. I think that perhaps you did the boy a great favor by showing his Mom the reality of the art world.

It's not that I don't believe that children can not create great art. They can and it often is featured in children's books. But if my son's art was that good I would have had samples in hand before I ever opened my mouth. Showing is so much better than telling.

I am reminded of one particular Art in the Park show where a man talked AT me for ten minutes about how his five year old neice did better artwork with her crayons and he was proud to decorate his frig with her masterpieces and why wouldn't I share with him how I executed my paintings so he could go home and give her my techniques ... to put me out of buisness.

Very sad for the young boy.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    replied

I'm afraid some of you are missing my point.
    As a follow up, I did proceed and tell the "mom" that I receive about 500 inquiries from artists to be in the gallery each year, and that it is a very competitive field. I told her, and the little kid as he wandered by a few times, that I need to see a resume, an artist statement, a biography, and a portfolio in order to apply. Furthermore, I am already working with a lot of artists during a very trying time for the economy and am not taking applications right now.
    I also do not work through representatives of artists, but only with artists themselves....therefore, they must be able to communicate and sign their name on paper and develop a body of work in order to work with me, or for me to represent and promote their work.

In what world, would I want to work with a 9 year old boy, or rather his mom who is setting him up for exploitation or failure, or at the very least disappointment, when there are so many real professionals out there?

I'm not the one who might have disappointed the little boy. His mom was.

Unfortunately, as an artist, that woman put me and my work and my profession on the level of her son's accomplishments. I still think I should be able to tazer her.

Christina

Leave a comment:

• jillsy
    replied

Thor, What happened after the boy walked away?? Did his mom ask questions? Offer any samples? Give any details? How did the whole thing end??

Leave a comment:

• Lynn O. Doughty
    replied

You shouldn't make fun of new trends. I'm sure the day the first woodcarver showed up they also laughed. Don't believe me? Then just take your work to a recognized gallery and watch the reaction. You'll probably find that "Chicken" art and woodcarving have a lot in common.

Leave a comment:

• Tom-H
    replied

Well, there might have been another way, or there could still be another way. The key, was you stated you did not want to discourage any budding artist type. My response may have been, " do you have a sample of your chicken art, that I can see"? If they say "no", respond by saying could you bring me a representative piece"? or better yet, "send me a photo". If they say yes, or if they send a photo; there are several ways to respond. If it's really neat stuff you'll know what to do, but if its "crap", tell them that they should get a web site and give the "art" some exposure, and subject it to feedback.

We all know of unusual stuff that is created by the most unusual folks, and "catches on". How about that lady who makes jewerly out of dried, coated chicken poop? I've seen that one featured on TV and in articles. Not to mention some of what I consider really crap passing for "art". What's one persons crap is anothers fine art.

Tom H

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied

................Maybe he wanted you to sell his chicken who's name was ..........."ARTHUR"...........
    Sorry just couldn't resist that one..........

Wayne

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    replied

Marci, maybe the kid covers the chicken house floor with freezer paper and then puts out pans of paint. After school he has a finished piece of art with little 3-d accents that include his chickens DNA.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• Hi_Ho_Sliver
    replied

Sounds like another one of those "chicken outfits" to me!

Leave a comment:

• Irish
    replied

You looked at the kid????

I would have stared at the Mother with open mouth, raised eybrows and down turn corners to my mouth ... and then I would have broken out laughing!

One of my favorite quotes is from Robert Heinlien, a 1945-1980 science fiction writer ....

NEVER under estimate the stupidity of humanity.

I think it fits here.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

As I am cracking up over Al's rooster, I like Marci's idea.I don't think you would do serious damage to the boy unless you beat him with his chicken art. Maybe this kid has something real good going on.

Leave a comment:

• Marci MN
    replied

I read this and think..maybe the kid does drawings or something of chickens? There is a fella online that does just chicken paintings. And there are a few children artists out there that have made names for themselves already.

If they return how about just asking for a few samples? Even if you 'dont have room' or 'not the style your looking for' you can bolster his creativenes?

M.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

DUHHHHH??????? What's "CHICKEN ART"? Almost afraid to ask....had a rooster once that left his "art" all over the yard.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Thor
    started a topic question asked of me that I have never heard before!

question asked of me that I have never heard before!

I'm gonna gripe for just a moment.

I've been an artist and gallery owner at this location for over 14 years, and many years before in other locations. I feel like I am professional and work hard to present a true working studio atmosphere as well as presentation of original, curated artwork in the gallery. I also display works here representing about 150 professional artists from many parts of the US some of whom have reputations world wide, have books published about them, or masters degrees in their field, or at the very least decades of experience.

Some of the "usual" questions when folks wander in are things like "did you make all of this stuff yourself?" or "how do people find you" or even "I've been saving my article about you in Southern Living Magazine for 2 years just to come see you". I'm used to those questions and have patterned responses for them all.

My point in this is today, someone got the prize for a new question that I have never been asked before, and honestly stumped me....wait for it....

"I brought my son (glancing at 9 year old boy in a baseball cap and baggy shorts with pride) up here from Atlanta, because he wants to know if you can sell his chicken art for him?"

ok, I really didn't know how to politely answer her and not do serious damage to the child......I just looked at him and asked him if he had a web site. He said, "no", and walked off.

I'm not sure what to expect next.
    I may have to get a tazer.
    Christina
Working...
X