Progression photo's on carving a Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progression photo's on carving a Mask

Hey I just took a wack of pic's of the carving process I used to carve a mask and I was hopeing they may be usefull for someone but not sure where to go from here... Here ya go an opportunity ya don't wanna miss ... I'm askin you to tell me where ta go!!!! Have at it

I'd like to see

Howard,

One of my friends has a daughter that does some cool masks. She majored in art, and likes to make masks, but does a lot of paper mache (sp???) on them. Lots of wolfs, dragons, stuff like that.

Would like to see yours as presumably they are wood.

Comment

Re: Progression photo's on carving a Mask

You could post them in the tutorial forum. I for one would like to see how you did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Lobb View Post
        Hey I just took a wack of pic's of the carving process I used to carve a mask and I was hopeing they may be usefull for someone but not sure where to go from here... Here ya go an opportunity ya don't wanna miss ... I'm askin you to tell me where ta go!!!! Have at it
        Wow, You don't get an offer like that every day!!! You could post them on works in progress and post a progression of the steps it took. I did that with my Indian lady. It was not teaching just showing how it was done.
        Phyllis

Comment

I'd be interested to how how you attacked it. I didn't know what the heck I was doing when I did mine.

S~
          Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Re: I'd like to see

Originally posted by traditional-toolworks View Post
            Howard,

One of my friends has a daughter that does some cool masks. She majored in art, and likes to make masks, but does a lot of paper mache (sp???) on them. Lots of wolfs, dragons, stuff like that.

Would like to see yours as presumably they are wood.
            Hello There my friend. Thank you for the compliment and yes you can see some of the masks I have posted in members gallery by clicking on my name (I think that's how) and I hope you can show some of her work as well...Masks are fun. to make Wearing a wooden one is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Phyllis Singer View Post
              Wow, You don't get an offer like that every day!!! You could post them on works in progress and post a progression of the steps it took. I did that with my Indian lady. It was not teaching just showing how it was done.
              Phyllis
              YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE....LOL.... I don't offer every day but then some don't need an ivitation....I did do IT! it is poste in tutorials as ED suggested and I got it there...... Hope it helps some one or at least sparks an inspiration, plants a seed ...what ever... Thanks for the suport and encouagement Phyllis, and I give you one more free shot LOL

Comment

You are a very brave man Howard! And talented too. Actually since we live in Howard...Colorado if I tell you where to go you could end up here. looking forward to seeing the mask!! Phyllis

Comment

Sounds like great viewing, Howard. Let us know where they end up so we don't miss them.

Comment

Hey Tom I posted it today in tutorial as Big Ed suggested, hope that you can have a look any suggestions welcome from you will be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Lobb View Post
                      Hey Tom I posted it today in tutorial as Big Ed suggested, hope that you can have a look any suggestions welcome from you will be welcome.
                      Howard, the tutorial and the masks were sensational!! Like I said I'm so glad Ed told you where to go and how to get there!!
                      Phyllis

Comment

Howard, thanks for sharing the progress photos on the mask carving. The final form is quite impressive - much better than those I bought in Central America.

Comment

Thank you Pallin, I just got to the rough out stage the rest is yet to come. It is just drying now and adjusting to the changes in stress, so if it doesn't split after a few days I will continue to carve the face a little at a time. I only take it out of the bag for short times to let it breath a little. If it is out to long they have a tenancy to start checking on the end grain. The bag is a close to a perfect environment when the wood is this fresh.

Comment

Hello Pallin ... Thank you. This isn't the final carving the final is yet to come. This is just the rough out shape. The green wood needs time to settle down from the changes of stress due to shaping. The bag is the close to perfect environment for this. I take it out to see how it is and put it back. If I leave it out to long at this early stage it would start to check on the end grain areas. This is the main purpose of the paper bag. It allows the moisture to very very slowly dissipate through the fibers of the bag. If the wood needs moisture, it will draw it back from the bag. This is a neat stage in the carving process. If you where to look in the bag and see the changes every day. you could observe the shrinkage and how it moves, all wood moves with humidity right now this wood is soaking wet and needs to dry very slowly. If you think about the process of removing all that wood and water that was trapped in those fibers in a half tube form. Now i have altered all the lengths of each surface exposing multiple unnatural end grain areas. and end grain as you are aware is where the moisture naturally evaporate the fastest. and the walls of a tree are much faster then the heart wood so the outside of the tree splits under the drying and shrinking stress. By removing the meat out of the middle I have essentially doubled the end grain shortened the distance the moisture has to travel to evaporate. Now it is coming out every where very quickly I need to slow it down enough for the remaining fibers to change and ajust... Long winded but a crucial part of the understanding of wood movement and why wood checks. When I understood this then I could accommodate and compensate, for that. I figured it out from the Kilns that dry lumber Yes they use heat but that create a very high humidity in the kiln the operate controls the dispersement of that moisture so that the wood doesn't split by getting to dry to quickly and if he gets that wrong all that wood will check and warp and the fibers can actually collapse inside the board. I was raised in or next to sawmills and lumber 1/2 my life and a carpenter for the other half I don't know all there is to this yet. But this is the understanding I have at this point. Hope this helps and isn't to boring.

Comment

Thanks Howard. I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X