Adventures in Fla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in Fla.

Well folks, another exciting adventure ends in Fla.and here I am back in frigid SC. We went down to service the Christmas tree market for the 70 Home Depots in South Florida. I reckon we did alright. 112,000 Frasier Fir Christmas trees were shipped down there and we had a 98% sell through. So if you live in S.Fla and bought a FF tree from HD,it was one of ours. also found out that just because we were using rental trucks didn't mean we could bypass weigh stations. Got a warning ticket for that. After Christmas was over,we had to go around and pick up the leftover trees. 112,000 - 98% meant there were still 3,000 trees to pick up and dispose of. On my last trip over to the west coast,I had a kidney stone attack. So I drove from Northport back to our warehouse in Pompano Beach hunched over the wheel, about 200 miles. Stopped at the Port Charlotte weigh station and got an over weight ticket for 10 bucks. Got violently sick about 17 miles from my final destination and had to call for help. It's kind of scary driving down I-595 doing 65 mph at 6 in the evening and realize that you're about to throw up. Luckily I was able to pull over and find a place to stop,but not before hurling all over the side window of my truck. Couldn't get the dang window down fast enough. I guess I scared the bejesus out of my two helpers,neither one of whom wanted to drive. Got taken to the emergency room at Deerfield Beach and found what "Obama Care" was all about. Curled up in pain for over 4 hours and watched people who came in 2 hours after me get taken care of. Finally got up in considerable pain and disgust and left after telling them I'd better not get a bill. I looked pretty rough so maybe they thought I was just trying to make 'em for drugs. All I wanted was for the pain to go away. Don't go to the emergency room in Deerfield Beach unless you look incredibly rich or have one of those "caddilac" insurance plans. That was the only down side to our trip down there.

We did spend a week at a resort in Vero Beach, The Aquarius Motel. Very nice place right on the beach,reasonably priced and the staff was very friendly. Also the other folks staying there were friendly. If you ever get a chance,check it out.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas, Mike G.in SC

Re: Adventures in Fla.

HOLLY COW... well congrats on the trees an glad to hear your ok

Comment

How does that left over FF carve?

Comment

What an adventure!
        I can't even picture 3000 "left over" tree's and what one might do to dispose of them?
        You can"t really blame your assistants for not wanting to drive the demon rental truck. It obvioulsy makes you hunch over from back pain so much that you throw up .
        I dont think there could be much worse than being sick and just wanting to get home and I am glad it worked out ok in the end.
        In Australia the hospital system care is poor to atrocious as well. I have a small personal motto :- "Never go to hospital if you are ill as it might kill you". One difference here though is that wether you are rich or poor makes no difference as they ignore all of us equally.
        I hope you are over it all by now and it never happens to you again!

Comment

Thanks. Never carved F Fir so don't know how it carves. As far as getting rid of the trees,we made a deal where the city comes and picks them up and turns them into mulch. We just have to get them to our waste yard.

Mike G.in SC

Comment

Mike, that was some adventure you had. I hope you are better now. I can't imagine 110,000 trees. Did they go down on trailer trucks. And if so how many on a truck?
            Carl

Comment

Several tractor trailer loads with each truck having anywhere from 3 to 5 drops each. Depending on the size of the trees,anywhere from 500 to 700 per truck. They are 53 foot refridgerated trailers so sometimes when the trees are delivered to the stores,they might still have snow on them. All the trees come from the mountains of WNC

Mike G. in SC

Comment

Hope your doing better now Mike, that's some adventure!

Dave

Comment

left over cut trees are used for bass habitat in lakes in SEK and NEOK.

Glad you are doing better MikeG and yeper you got a glimse of what our new Helath Care will be all about. LOL

Glad you are getting much needed rest also. Hang in there MikeG

Comment

Working...
                  X