Oh How The World Has Changed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh How The World Has Changed !

Let's see... We can blame it on the parents, MTV, the parents, the media, the parents, cell phones, the parents, movies, the parents, music videos, the parents, the schools, the parents, ...etc.... Well, we get the idea! No matter how you cut it, it all goes back to the home and proper parenting.

Comment

Bottom line eddie! You are right so be it!
      Oscar

Comment

I agree that manners have dwindled over the past years, and I don't think it's us echoing the lament of OUR parents. I truly think people (generally - of course there are exceptions) have be come less polite, and have a more 'entitled' attitude.

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Went to a 4th of July picnic last week. and seen the exact same thing. At one point I was told to go do something to myself lol. The language, arrogance and ignorance of the youth there was beyond explanation. Asked this kids(22) father if he minded if I had a talk with his son. I was told go ahead but if he kicks my butt don't come crying to him. I am ex biker and still look like one. I can be intimidating if i need to. Before the evening was over the kid found himself pinned against a tree with a 22 cal derringer up his nose
        Please tell me you're joking about threatening someone with your gun in his face.

S~
        Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Hey Gene
          I have not read the entire thread, but your post has struck a chord within me. I was raised the same way, my parents were far from your normal Ozzie and Harriet, but Manners were of the utmost importance in our house. I was told not to talk when grown ups were talking...and boy, if I did! My dad had a stare that could silence me mid syllable! I would never have been allowed to sit if an adult was in need of a chair-heck I was lucky to be in the room when adults were congregating! But I also KNEW that it was my duty, my responsibility to give an elder my chair-to hold a door, or to let pass -NOW DAYS-oh my goodness! I am horrified at the lack of absolute common courtesy from the younger generation!
          Then, I am ashamed of myself-my kids have done the same and are oblivious of the fact that they even did something like that-Grandma comes in and my kids are lolling about the furniture and it never occurs to them that are acting like spoiled demon spawn. I adore my boys and joke, but at the same time I realize that it was me who was lacking in the parent department. Granted we live in the sticks, company is few and far between, but still, this soundslike an excuse to me. I have made it my mission to focus on my boys and give them my utmost attention-they are not so excited and wonder why I am riding them so much, but the funny thing is I remember my mom being constantly on my case about EVERYTHING - and there were times when I thought I really hated her for it. BUT I grew up and now I am very Grateful for her heavy handedness.
          I think alot about "Oh I don't want them upset," or "I don't want him to be mad at me..." then I think of what kind of sop I am raising?! I firmly believe that children must know some disapointment in their lives and what the hell am I doing trying to spare them from everything?! How will they build carachter's at all if I deflect and buffer everything that comes their way?
          NOW please don't get me wrong - I am not speaking about smacking them around- but a good old fashioned *** chewing goes a long way - I remember vividly doing whatever it took to NOT get one and avoid the whole process.
          Pheeeew...want a vent! I read somewhere that kids don't need you to be their friends...they have friends...they need you to be the parent. Wow. I think there is a whole generation that totally needs to stand back and look at the kind of selfish, self centered children that they are setting forth upon the world. Kids that are so oblivious to today's surroundings will make god awful leaders of tomorrow!
          Great Thread Gene, bless you for not snapping your fingers and asking what the hell was the matter with them! You have a great fortitude my friend! Give your mother my love - and my seat!

Comment

Hi folks,
            I have spent the last while reading this thread. There is a lot of truth, a lot of criticism, a lot of blame and a lot of suggestions contained in the posts. Mostly it seems like we want to blame the parents for the lack of upbringing of their kids. Guess what folks......we is the parents!!!!! I am sure amongst the blustering on how we dealt with our kids and grandkids, there is also a lot of not wanting to push them around (getting educated proper) like our parents pushed us. Would you really ask your cute little grandson or granddaughter to go out and find a switch and use it on them? I am sure I wouldn't, and neither would you. So there you have it, in one simple action, we have begun to contribute to the decline of respect by the young'uns.
            The world has changed, some for the better some for the worse. There is enough credit and blame to spread amongst us all. Perhaps respect is not shown because there is not consequence for not showing respect. However, I think even the slightest of mind would understand the consequence with a loaded derringer stuck up his nose by a mean looking sucker who looks like he's just had as much as he can take.......I am sure the expressions, 'yes sir', 'please sir' and 'thank you sir' would slip easily between the lips below.
            Funny, we give credit to our parents for how we turned out and wonder why our children and grandchildren turned out the way they did.
            That's just me ramblin' ......................
            Steve

Comment

I have followed this thread from the beginning and was on my motorcycle forum and someone posted this.
              It shows the difference of generations.

Old Farts<
              Actually, it`s not a bad thing to be called, as you will see. Old Farts are easy to
              spot at sporting events; during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner. Old
              Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without
              embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal , Normandy and
              Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet
              Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping
              Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .

If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an
              Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust
              strangers and are courtly to women.

Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make
              certain the lady is on the inside for protection.

Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children
              and they don`t like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.

Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless
              it`s about their children or grandchildren.

It`s the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politicians,
              but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility,
              pride in their country and decent values..

We need them now more than ever.

Thank God for Old Farts!

Pass this on to all the Old Farts you know.

I was taught to respect my elders. It`s just getting harder to find them
              Goody

Comment

Amen Goody!

I remember, and I'll never forget....

Tom L
                http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

This thread continues to be interesting . That was great stuff on Goody's last post and rings so true . My wife is a RN at our local county nursing home . She has heard so many remarkable accounts of men and women who lived through these times and have amazing stories to tell . I say thank god for the old farts .

Comment

It is a sad state, but a true state of society. I see this mindset each and every day. I was raised by a dad and a mom of which neither understood the meaning of the word tolerance (at least when it came to improper behavior from any of their 3 boys) Granted we all tested this throughout the course of our youth and young adulthood, tested but not to success. We were raised on principles of hard work, respect and the "Good Book". I have done my best to instill these same principles in my children. My dad is 77 and if he was to tell me today at 46 that I needed a spanking, I would bend over and just make it easier on both of us.
                    The problem with this whole thing as I see it comes down to respect. Respect has always and will always be something that is earned and not given or in many cases with parents today bought. Respect is also something that is taught to young people along with what is required to earn it and it has to start a young age. I read many of the posts in this thread and as has been said agree with many if not most of the comments shared. My son graduated from highschool this past year, and he did a lot of things that made me proud throughout his life so far, but none prouder than when he was competing at the highschool wrestling sectionals. They had the opening with the national anthem as all sporting events do, so far to date. I was astounded at the amount of athletes, coaches, and parents that showed little reverance or respect. Many kept their hats on, many stopped to stand still but didn't even look at the flag, and some continued on with what they were doing. I found myself sitting next to a man who like me stood, placed a hand over his heart and looked to the flag while the anthem was played. The man looked at me and stated, kids today just aren't worth a dime, did you see how many kids didn't even participate at the national anthem. He said look at those kids over there, I looked over and saw the group of kids he was indicating. "Those punks, showed nothing but disrespect" In front of these kids stood my son and some of the kids on his team. I waited to hear what he was going to say next. He pointed out my son and said "see that kid in the John Deer hat" I nodded. He said that kid stood took off his hat, told the others do shut up and stand and they blew him off, at least he was raised right,I wouldn't give you a nickle for that whole lot" I smiled at him and said. That kid stood and removed his hat for two reasons. Reason number one, he was taught better, and reason two, he knows I'm here somewhere and I wouldn't tolerate it if he didn't show respect. That ole boy smiled at me and asked, "that boy your son". I simply said yes sir. The man reached over and shook my hand and said proud to know you. I am fortunate enough to know several kids that today are good kids, respectful and couteous, it is unfortunate that I know a lot more that are not. In most cases the parents of these kids are not any different than their kids. I quess a lot of it comes down to values and what we teach our kids are important. I just spent a week working at a youth camp were there were almost 500 kids between the ages of 14 - 18. There were a few kids that were not much to brag on, but for the most part I found the majority of the kids pleasant and respectful. Using words like no sir and thank you. I realize that these kids are probably a minority, but folks don't give up hope, we can all do our best to instill a little of the values that we were raised with. I have found that some kids today long for the things spoken about in this post. they just need some encouragemnet trying to find them. Whether through kind words or harder lessons, remember these kids are our future. Don't write them off for being mis guided, I know there were times when I was and I was blessed to have someone on more than one ocassion take the time to put me back on the right path. In similar situations like Gene mentioned, I have walked into a room where people my age or younger were sitting and older folks were standing. I took it upon myself to tell them to get up and give their chair to someone who needed it more than them. I don't know if I shamed them into it or if they were just being absent minded, but they got up. Just as our kids are our future, the older folks are our past and they deserve respect even if we sometimes have to remind a few folks. Sorry for going on so long with this one, but this stuff is important to me.

God Bless,

Mark

Comment

i have 7 childeren,3 of which are boys. we were in a parade one yr and were asked to ride with a few other groups....one boy had forgotten part of his uniform and all 3 of my boys piped up and offered him theirs...one of the other parents was amazed and said how nice it was. later i realized as i watched her kid pelt babys and older ladies and gentlmen with tootsie pops (for a laugh) that even though i have my hands full my childeren will Never get away with being so disrespectful.........call who you want say what you will but my responsbiltys as a mother are to insure they grow up into wonderful respectful adults! as my momma used to say"call who ever we wanted but know if she was goin to jail she was gona deserve it!!" lol, we would have never called(or had a reason to) but it got the point across, she was willing to do what ever she needed to so we could have a future and respect... just sayin....

Comment

oh and i must add one of my fondest and funniest memories is being told to go find my sisters swich and her mine......then my wonderful mother didnt swap....her and my dad are the reason i knew when to run and if someone or something might hurt me then i needed to reevaulate my situation. i have her and my dad,(roger )to thank for knowin when to hold em, and when to foldem..and when to run like "ell!!! the best leson i could have been taught!

Comment

Hey everyone! There was a lot to read, so I'll admit that I didn't read everything, but as a 20 year old (as of August), I can tell you that I have first hand experience dealing with both teenagers and young kids on an almost day to day basis. And let me tell you... you are RIGHT. Kids these days are unbelievable. There is such a lack of respect for adults, not to mention the elderly! It seems like genuine respect is hard to come by nowadays... Personally, I blame hip hop. But I just wanted to chime in and let you all know that there's at least 1 respectful young guy out there (I always offer my chair to anyone older than me) and let you know that you're not the only ones noticing it, unfortunately!

Comment

Working...
                          X