Thanks to my WCI Family and report on happenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to my WCI Family and report on happenings

It never ceases to amaze me how this family of friends cares about one another. How folks, most of whom will never meet, reach out to those who are having a bit of difficulty……both carving and otherwise. This time I was the recipient of your concern. I must give special thanks to my friend Bob Squarebriggs who put out the news and checked on me during this trial. I also want to thank the posters for the wonderful messages (I read and appreciate them all).
    I had hoped to be at home today and reporting on my latest encounter with the medical world….which always seems to take interesting twists and turns. But…a twist occurred between talking to Bob and this report. The Doc told me that she is having a problem making the Coumadin (pills) and my blood pressure meds cooperate and behave. They are keeping me another day to start a regime of injectable Coumadin and to teach me its use.

So my Frien’s here is my version of what happened....with the usual admonition that the story is more important than the exact truth. Last Sunday, I was “pulling” a roast to make burritos. I was almost through when I looked down and thought, “where did that arm come from?” realizing at the same time that it was mine. I thought this whole situation a little bizarre but, since I could control it, I kept shredding the meat.

Then Diana comes in and asks, “Do you want to take some fresh dates to the War Eagle Seminar.” My answer did not make sense….but somewhat used to this Cajun not always giving answers that make sense, she tried again, “What?” Although my answer was a sentence, it did not relate to the subject. I then started sentences that changed to gibberish. Diana realized what must be happening and had me hustled out the door while I was still attempting to answer the question about the dates! She decided that the drive to Springfield (hour and a half) where our Doctors are located was too long and headed for Harrison (half an hour).

The emergency room there is very efficient and had me undergoing tests in a hurry. I still could not communicate very well. I knew what I needed to say but other words often came out. My communicative skills did return at an inopportune moment. They decided to do a CT scan…after hours, empty halls, just me and the young lady operating the machine. She got real rattled by being left alone with a guy who lets out a startled yelp , when finding a strange hand in front of his face, and says. “who’s hand is that?” Yep happened again. That was not my hand! Seeing her concern, realizing what was happening, I decided to relieve the tension Not a good idea to try and use humor on a young lady who is already wondering about your sanity. Especially by saying, aliens have taken over my arm, then pointing to the CT Scanner and saying they used that thing. A very inopportune moment for gibberish to return. Especially when what you are trying to say is, “Please slow down. I was only kidding!” It was a very fast return to the emergency room! Where the admitting physician said they needed to watch my oxygen levels and sent me to ICU……….or at least I remember him saying something about being able to watch me more carefully.

The next day they said something about it being a good idea to turn me over to my regular doctors. Luckily, communicative skills were still questionable…and I decided it was not a good idea to delve into their motivation. My frien’s, Labor Day in the back of an ambulance is a wild ride. Traffic up to Cox Hospital (Springfield, MO) was incredibly heavy. One enterprising driver saw a good thing and fell in behind the ambulance (literally right on the back bumper). Diana got to ride up front in the comfortable seat and I got to watch out the back window as the ambulance had to make a very quick stop and our “shadow” headed for the median, as did the two cars behind him. Sure got my mind off the stroke as I thought, “hell . I’m not going to live to worry about it anyhow.”

But, I did make it to Cox, there are no lasting problems, the prognosis is good (even considering the blood pressure problem). But, I do have a piece of advice for the rest of the WCI Forum, Don’t hold out a carving knife and ask if you can carve in bed…unless you are willing to undergo a lot of tests for another stroke.

Re: Thanks to my WCI Family and report on happenings

Pleased to know your doing OK. Get Well.

Comment

Dear Paul - It sure is good to hear from you!! Take care of yourself.

Comment

Thanks Paul for the update. It is really encouraging that you can put this ordeal in perspective, even with humor, while reminding us how important it is to recognize a potential problem and treat it seriously. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Mike
        Matthew

Comment

Glade you are doing better Paul !

Dave

Comment

Hi Paul,
            Great to hear from you, and that you're doing better. Being on coumadin myself a few years back I can easily relate to your problem because it took some doing but they finally straightened me out, they'll get it right and you'll be back to "normal" soon. Take care and listen to those docs.

Dan

Comment

Paul, thank you so much for that story of what happened to you. That may save some of us out here ,if, God forbid, it ever happens to one of us, and what to do. I have to say Diana is very intellegent, in how she handled the whole situation. Bravo to her. And as far as you, please take care of yourself, we need you here. We may never meet, but we are all part of this WCI family, and I think thats a good thing. Take care. fred k

Comment

I would never have guessed it by those symtoms even though it was obviously a serious concern, so full kudos to the Diana for catching on so quickly. You are a very lucky man I'd say. Good luck fellow carver. Joe.

Comment

Paul,
                  We are glad to here that things are looking up for you and your family. Be a good boy now, and when it is safe,
                  Carve On,....
                  Kadiddle
                  when the nurse or Dr. is not looking.

Comment

Thanks for posting the update Paul. Great news that there were no lasting effects. A disabling stroke is so sad. Hoping you get home soon.

Comment

Good to see you're on the mend. Stay strong.

S~
                      Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

I'm glad to see that your story-telling abilities were not affected by your medical problems....LOL. The poor girl running the CT scan just didn't have a sense of humor and that should be a requirement to work in a hospital.... Thanks for posting to let us know how you are doing and thanks for a good story.... Get well soon.

Comment

Glad you are doing better and still have your sense of humor.
                          Take care of yourself, I want to read more of your stories.

Randy

Comment

Paul: Good to hear from you and that you are working through this. Just follow the docs orders and you should be back good as new. Wish I could be at War Eagle to try some of those fresh dates!

Comment

Paul, you amaze me not only with your carving, but your way with a story. I'm very glad you are on the road to recovery and wish you much health and Happy Carving...

Comment

Working...
                              X