X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article discussion thread:Sawing Carving Blanks

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Sawing Carving Blanks

Re: Article discussion thread:Sawing Carving Blanks

Interesting. I have to confess I have never planned a carving that far in advance.
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

Comment

Woo the cut is so clean! Band saws are really good to use .

Comment

One thing to beware of if you are band sawing blanks more than one way, is that if you have any tilt to the head, you can end up cutting the ears too small because of the angle of the head. I always add an extra amount to ears on the pattern when there is a tilt to the head.

Comment

Nice photos but unfortunately when you cut on the actual line of the drawing you are sawing on what should be the finished surface. It would be much better to cut outside this line to give you the opportunity to carve down to the final shape rather than to carve into it. Also, to keep the block together when sawing I always stop before cutting completely through and then back the blade out. This holds the whole piece together and allows you to easily break off the waste material once the block is removed from the saw.

Comment

I have done a considerable amount of 3D cutting on both scroll and band saws. When I finish a cut I use blue tape to hold the pieces together. That eliminates having to back the saw blade out of the cut and greatly reduces the chances of breaking a blade!

Comment

Working...
            X