seeing and old carving destroyed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeing and old carving destroyed?

about a year ago i carved a butternut horse for my best friends 8 year old daughter. i spent around twenty hours carving it and it turned out really nice. my friend offered to pay me for the piece but being his daughtes is just a sweet heart i would not take a dime for it. i went to visit my friends house the other day and his daughter brought out the horse i carved for her and i about cryed. she had painted the horse about 20 different colors all with markers. my friend could see my happiness all over my face. well at the end of the day i guess she liked it enough to give it some color... All i can do is laugh at it now

Re: seeing and old carving destroyed?

Kids will be kids I suppose, and tastes are so varied, especially with children. Laughter is best or else you end up crying, and that is no good. I do feel for you though. Joe.

Comment

Your right all you can do is laugh she is only a child and doesnt realize the work that went into it. The color was just her artiistic expression. I give my grandchildren carvings all the time but their parents always put them on their dressers and tell the children that they are special and just to look at. No harm she is just a child and I am sure you could fix it. Your right kids will be kids no matter what.
      Colin
      Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
      Jackson, MS

Comment

If it survives for awhile she will always remember the fun she had with it and will also remember where it came from.I made my grandson a small blocky shaped bear,so far it has survived and it is one of his toys that will be around for his youngans.Tony

Comment

Several years ago a neighbor of my brother in St Paul died.. he did a lot of carving but with little or no training... the family brought in a dumpster and a couple of big boxes of carving stuff was thrown out.. I picked up a couple of hound dogs out of the stuff and have used them for years with my students... My main lesson for them is that these dogs are heirlooms regardless of how good or bad they are but they need to be signed by the artist.... this guy's grand kids would kill to have one of these, signed or not.... I lost my father as a child and was left with stories about his carving prowess which became the primary incentive for me to become a wood carver... Only one piece that my father did still exists....all I have is pictures of it... but I too would give a bundle to have it to pass down to my kids and grand kids. The moral is not to pass judgement on the value of old carvings and most of all don't throw them away....

Comment

Too bad you didn't get to watch her paint it Dwayne. Can you imagine how happy she was while doing it?
            You did a nice thing, and will probably like it better the next time you see it.

Tom
            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

I understand that you put a lot more work into the carving of the horse than my story to follow, but....

I carved a little wooden doll for a girl at a Medieval reenactment once, and told her that the Vikings loved bright colors and that she could color the doll any colors she wanted to. Her Mother caught her coloring the carving with markers a little later, and made her come show me what she had done, and apologize for messing it up. I felt terrible that she had been fussed at about it, and explained to her mother that it had been a collaboration between us, and the polychrome finish had been her part.
              The little girl went back to smiling right away, and played with the little doll for the next 4 days straight.
              Maybe is isn't destroyed at all. Maybe it is loved.
              Christina
              Steve

Comment

I understand how you must have felt.

We all put our feelings into carvings and feel like they are kind of still ours, even when we give or sell them. Well, that's for some or our carvings, maybe not all of them.

When I give a carving away and that I like it a lot, I always ask to treat it like if it was mine and give it back to me if they don't like it anymore...

And it hurts me when I give a carving to someone and realize that it was dropped and btoken. Hey... what did I tell you???

But if I was to give a carving to a child, I would try to be prepared for anything...

Gilles

Comment

Destroyed? I doubt the girl thought she was destroying it. She most likely felt she was making a good carving better...

S~
                  Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

As far as kids being kids,yes they are and I was no little angel! And I agree with that. But.......Come on, an eight year old doing something like that? Two years old, I can see. What's wrong with mom and dad teaching this child some respect! When I was given anything by anybody when I was a kid, I was first told to say thank you and then told I better take care of it! If I would of done something like this at that age, I would of known I was doing something wrong(disrespectful). And I probably would have got a swat on the butt,and/or made to apologise, would have been given cleaning supplies to attempt to clean it up or at the very least been given a good chewing out(good talkin' too)! So, someday when mom and dad are before a judge with their little sweetheart for getting busted for tagging a building or say the town sculpture, are they going to say she was just being a kid and exploring her creative side?! I can't really find fault with the little girl, it's her folks I have the problem with! I guess it's just about these parents teaching their kid respect! I love the idea of Christina doing the collaboration with the little girl and her carving, that's a whole different thing. I do things like that with my grand-kids.And I also believe when you give something away, the person that receives it is free to do what they want with it. But, this child should of been told to take care of it and been told that a friend made that especially for her and that it took hours of time. An eight year old isn't to young to learn that! Well, Enough out of me! Bye!

Comment

Just think, that may be the thing that she passes down to her kids, and her kids pass it down to their kids. I had a blanket that was made for me when I was little and now my daughter is sleeping with the ratty old thing. You did a good deed my friend, and from the color on the carving, she is really enjoying it. Give it a few months and you will fully understand when yours gets here. You will give it the world if you can! There's nothing like the joy in a child's eyes.

Blake

Comment

Dwayne, you know its just that more special to her...I am sure she will have it for a long time!
                        When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
                        Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
                        My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
                        My Email: [email protected]
                        My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
                        My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

You are right that parents dont teach children the value of handmade things or how to appreciate and care for them. Since she is only 8, perhaps when she is a little older she might try to fix it and give it a nice paint job! If it is a piece that she particularly cares for it might undergo several transformations, hopefully for the better!

Jim

Comment

That would have startled me too, but wow-I am actually very happy for you! She must have really loved it to spend the time decorating it to her little hearts content with it!
                            We bought my son a set of wood blocks a few years back-the plain ones...cause the colored ones were too expensive He imediately set down with us and his blocks and his little Crayola washable markers-"since the others were to much money mom, I will make these the same" I was so touched and he loved them so much.
                            Again, you may not have liked to see it colored, or would not have done that to one of yours, but her pony was a rainbow fantasy pony and she loved it! I am very happy for you-all I can think is that it is way better this way than in pieces!

Comment

Working...
                            X