An offer i can't refuse, but help me offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An offer i can't refuse, but help me offer

While at the show in Zanesville i was approached by a woman who lingered at my booth looking a bit longingly at my carvings. I asked her if i could help her with anything, she gently picked up a tall Santa and ran her hands over it as if looking for flaws and finding none she looked me dead in the eyes. She told me very coolly that three years ago she lost her husband of 40 years and that he was a carver also, she also told me that i had a similar style to his which is what drew her to my table. She went on to say that he had bought a lot of carving tools over the years, along with magazines and other odds and ends, and that she still had all of it. I smiled telling her i understand his passion for the art and that i was starting a collection myself, i think we all do really. She stopped, reached into her purse, pulled out pen and paper and wrote down her name address and phone number. She told be with a serious look that if i wanted the tools that she would sell to me because of the similarities between my and her deceased husbands work.

I feel honored it this but here is my problem friends. She has no clue what her husband had tools and what nots and has no clue what kind of price she wants out of them, she couldn't even give me a list of what she though he might of had. I don't know alot about older tools and their worth on the fair market.

What would you do?

Michael Gray

Re: An offer i can't refuse, but help me offer

I have run into similar situations and can only offer an opinion.

A person who has lost a carving spouse first and foremost, wants those tools to go to someone who will value them and use them, as their spouse did. I suggest that you visit the lady and talk to her, before you come to any decisions. See what tools he had and judge yourself accordingly. Perhaps you will find, that se need some extra money and you can make your offer based on that, or if you don't need the tools or all of them, help her find a home for them. There are those who would take advantage of her, and I can tell that just by asking the question as you have, that you are not like that. So help her out. Accept the tools if she wants you to have them, as she has picked you for a particular reason. Understanding her grief in this situation may be more important than any monitary value of the tools.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Be fair, be honest.......to both parties involved.

Comment

I too have had a simular situation. I was offered my mentors tools at a an ebarrasing low price when he passed on. I still use Old Joes tools and I have had them for 15 years. Theres something about those tools. I have to agree with everything Bob Said. Go look at the tools and offer her a fair price. She will appreciate it.
        Goody

Comment

I'm sure you'll be a fine steward for these tools.

Or, if she doesn't need the money, and you don't need the tools, perhaps they could be donated to your carving club, to be used by folks who truly need them?

(I admit, though, that I would be partial to holding onto them myself, even though I don't need more tools.)

S~
          Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Michael,

You just got some top notch advice from some top notch folks. And I know the words fair and honest mean the same to you as to them.....

Tom H
            http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have often thought what will happen to my tools when I am gone? I want them to go to a person that will use them. I do understand why she wanted them to go to a carver of similar style to her husband. I don’t think my tools would be much use to a chip carver. I think you should pay a fair price if you want them.

Comment

Good advice, fair and honest wins every time. For my own books & tools, I would want them sold at a fair price. Its often been my experience, that most people only appreciate what they pay for. I don't say that to be mean. I will cherish a gift, as it brings back memories of the person that gave it to me. not all people are the same I guess.

Comment

I agree with all that's been said, but I'd like to point out something else.

The widow is looking for a good home for the tools. But I'm willing to bet she's also looking for some amount of closure to her grieving. Having the tools in her presence can only remind her of her loss, and how much she misses him.

Don't be afraid to meet with her and take a look at the tools. I'm sure you'll do the right thing when you do.

Bob L

Comment

Thats the hardest thing in the world to do, remove your loved ones possessions. Its like putting your loved one out of the house. Not a good thing, it would be far better for Michael to move them out for her. very good point Bob.

Comment

I can say I had a friend who was an artist/crafts person....we shared what our latest project was. She passed away and the family insisted I take everything for outrageous low price.....her sister remarked it would be an honor to the family as they knew I would use it. This is often the case, that you want your tools to be used by someone who is able, and willing. But give her a call.... and I think it will be the same manner. But if the cost is up there and you can not afford the stuff....which most folks can not, then be honest.....hard telling that long ago....should have some good stuff. .
                      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Working...
                      X